FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Hawaii by Air at the Smithsonian through Summer 2015
Hawaii by Air at the Smithsonian through Summer 2015
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-25 11:59 am   Permalink

It's a bit of a hike for me, but some of you may be interested in the Hawaii by Air exhibit at the National Air and Space Museum (in Washington, DC). It opened today and runs for a year.

From
the announcement:

Quote:
“Hawaii by Air” not only tells the story of how air travel to the islands developed, but also how the airplane changed the travel experience. Firsthand accounts and reproductions of airline ephemera illustrate what travel to and among the islands was like, from sailing ships in the 1860s to the first daring transpacific flights in the 1920s to Stratocruisers in the 1950s and jets in the 1960s and beyond. The exhibition also includes airplane models, airline uniform badges, historic film footage, a high-resolution satellite image of the islands, broadcasts from a vintage Hawaiian radio show and live Hawaiian plants.

There's also a collection of pictures to browse at http://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/hawaii-by-air/online/.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-29 12:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the heads up.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-29 1:01 pm   Permalink

I had never heard of the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser before!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-29 6:49 pm   Permalink

Awesome exhibit. If I remember correctly the Strtocruiser was built on the bones of the B-29 Superfortress.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-31 3:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-29 18:49, uncle trav wrote:
Awesome exhibit. If I remember correctly the Strtocruiser was built on the bones of the B-29 Superfortress.

It was, with a "figure-eight" fuselage that allowed for a lower deck lounge. I Googled a few pictures and I think flying used to be more fun that it is now. And, the bathroom looked less painful.

http://www.aggregat456.com/2009/06/designing-friendly-skies.html

On the other hand, a one-way coach flight from New York to London was $2500 in today's dollars, and took fifteen hours.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation