[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Modular magnetic tiki drink menu
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Modular magnetic tiki drink menu
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 12:53 pm   Permalink

Up to now, my home tiki bar's menu has been a list of all my rums and other spirits, with the cocktails currently being served listed on the back. I've been using one of those simple clear plastic sleeve menus, like you might find in a cheesy diner. But I'm trying to look like a *nice* tourist trap, not a mediocre tourist trap! So I'm redoing my menu, starting with the cocktail list.

I've found it challenging to keep that cocktail list up-to-date. Each party has a different selection of drinks (usually two), often selected somewhat last-minute, and re-drafting and re-printing the cocktail menu is always a low priority during party prep -- which means it doesn't happen, and I'm always having to explain to guests that "the cocktail list is a lie!" On top of that, guests often get distracted by the spirits list and forget to pick out a cocktail, blocking others' way to the bar.

So the goals with a new drink menu system: nicer in appearance, very easy to update even at the last minute, and easier for guests to see their options. I decided to make something modular, with semi-permanent cards for each drink in my repertoire. New cards must be easy to make quickly, too. I considered creating something with variable height, but opted instead to create a fixed-height frame and create optional "filler" cards with decorative details.

And here's what I created!

Here's a peek at the construction. The top and bottom carved pieces are Gorilla glued onto two steel 10" mending plates. Each 6" x 2" drink card is printed onto cream card stock, which is then glued onto a piece of black chipboard. Two 1" square self-stick magnets are positioned on the back of the card to line up with the mending plates. The whole thing rests on a vintage brass bamboo easel.

Here are a few different views of the drink/graphic combinations. The graphics match our bar's custom glassware.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 1:49 pm   Permalink

Too classy for low brow

Nice work!

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-26 13:49, Badd Tiki wrote:
Too classy for low brow

That's about the nicest compliment you can give me, Badd Tiki. Mahalo!

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-26 3:32 pm   Permalink

Very up-scale indeed. You did a nice job on the carvings and the overall design is brilliant.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 3:39 pm   Permalink

Mahalo! The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, as they say, and time and use will tell if it stands up functionally. But my hopes are high!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-26 4:42 pm   Permalink

Saw the carving on the other post a few days ago, very nice. What a great idea and perfect execution. Well done!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 5:45 pm   Permalink

It looks just perfect in its surrounding, nicely done Humu.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 6:47 pm   Permalink

Outstanding
Simply awesome
Two cannibal tiki thumbs up

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-26 7:15 pm   Permalink

What MadDogMike said.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakalui

Posted: 2014-07-27 9:23 pm   Permalink

Great solution!

View Profile of Pakalui Send a personal message to Pakalui  Goto the website of Pakalui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-29 2:59 pm   Permalink

Very classy, Humu!

I'm impressed with your talent.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-31 7:02 pm   Permalink

Awesome Job Humu!! I love it!!!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-01 06:32 am   Permalink

Very snazzy idea, and well executed. Ten points!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-01 12:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks, everybody! One week from tomorrow will be its first time in action, we're having a party. I'll let you know if I learn anything that would make me rethink the design.

mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-04 10:41 am   Permalink

That will be one of the most stolen ideas on TC, thank you!

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation