[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Metal Julep Cup
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Metal Julep Cup
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-14 07:30 am   Permalink

Most if not all restaurants use aluminum pots and pans.
Chefs will tell you not to use metal spoons or at least not to scrape the sides/bottom of the
aluminum pans to avoid getting that metal taste from these pans.
But cooks do it all the time.
I can remember that old lady that would give you a drink with those aluminum drinking cups,
man I hated those things as they gave off an aluminum taste.

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/search.aspx?res_per_page=20&sort_by_field=Relevance%3aASC&keywords=pots+or+pans&gclid=CKek7fv5ksACFQaCMgodWxoAvw&brand=Vollrath+Wear-Ever

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-14 08:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-13 22:53, wizzard419 wrote:
Yet only one out of three of those would be advisable as drink vessels (copper and nickel are both toxic).

That is also how you can tell cheap Moscow Mule mugs from better quality ones, check to see if it is lined with something that won't react with your cocktail.

Ooooh, bummer for me. I just received four solid hammered copper 24oz nickel-lined Moscow Mule mugs in the mail yesterday.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-14 10:08 am   Permalink

Swanky's link says the LD50 (average lethal dose) of aluminum is 500 grams or about half a pound. Google tells me the LD50 for copper is about 10 pounds and the LD50 for nickel is about 20 times that. The ironic thing is that we are worried about the toxicity of the cups when we are filling them with alcohol, a substance known to be much more toxic than any of these metals

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-14 12:25 pm   Permalink

Yes, foodservice does use them, for non reactive foods. Places that care about what they put out will not use them for said foods, not out of health concerns but rather because it impacts the final product by discoloring and/or adding an off-putting flavor to the food.

Quote:

On 2014-08-14 10:08, MadDogMike wrote:
Swanky's link says the LD50 (average lethal dose) of aluminum is 500 grams or about half a pound. Google tells me the LD50 for copper is about 10 pounds and the LD50 for nickel is about 20 times that. The ironic thing is that we are worried about the toxicity of the cups when we are filling them with alcohol, a substance known to be much more toxic than any of these metals

You shut your whore mouth about alcohol!

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-15 11:01 am   Permalink

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation