FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki What's The Story Of This Trader Vic's Hawaii Mug?
What's The Story Of This Trader Vic's Hawaii Mug?
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 11:43 am   Permalink

OK, I've searched & searched & found this mug in several different threads including Crypto Mugs & Tiki Finds, but I can't seem to find any history or concrete info on it. It doesn't seem to be extremely rare, but I have some questions about it. Was it TV Hawaii, only? What years was it available? Did it have it's own signature drink? Why was the design so crude. Any info would be appreciated.
Mahalo,
Rick

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 4:00 pm   Permalink

Good questions Rick. I had found one of these mugs last summer and was curious as well. I am no expert on the subject but as far as I know these mugs and many others from the Hawaii location were only used at that location. Most of the mugs were made by a local pottery so they can vary widely in appearance and do at times look crude. At some point in time there was a split from Trader Vic's on the mainland and the Honolulu location lived on with only the Trader Vic's name. Here is a great thread by DC with some info on the location.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=34911&forum=2&start=0

Here is an image posted by DC from the menu showing the mug and the cocktail description for it.

And here is the mug from my collection. You can see how they vary.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 5:56 pm   Permalink

Those were made for the Waikiki Trader's Vic's by Polynesian Pottery, which later become Daga.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 7:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 06:55 am   Permalink

Here's a little more info:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42297&forum=5

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 07:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link. It is great to get some info compacted into one thread.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 10:02 am   Permalink

More importantly, WHAT is up with the Red Pants mug & description??

Is the straw supposed to be sticking out of the fly of a pair of pants?? That may give me some emotional trauma, no matter how psychedelic the rum is.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 10:18 am   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 7:11 pm   Permalink

Yikes! I didn't even notice that!

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-18 06:06 am   Permalink

The Tiki News had an interview with Daga with a reference to a similar mug wearing jeans that was given away at a gay bar,that's probably where the mold came from.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation