FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » No-Burn or Flame Stop?
No-Burn or Flame Stop?
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-27 1:21 pm   Permalink

I just got a major shipment of Lauhala for my home tiki bar and I want to fire proof it for safeties sake. Any recommendations for a fire retardant that doesn't leave a film over the covering?

I've seen No-Burn and Flame Stop recommended, but is there anything else I should consider? Do I need to coat the front and the back or just the front since the back will be glued against sheet rock?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

-glk-

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-27 1:26 pm   Permalink

I use No-Burn. It sometimes does leave a little bit of a film (think dried salt), but nothing that's distracting under the delightfully low-light conditions of a tiki bar. I coat as thoroughly as I possibly can—I'd rather be over-protected than under-protected. It goes fast, plan on buying a bunch of the stuff.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-27 1:47 pm   Permalink

@Humuhumu: Do you treat both sides of the wall covering or just the side facing the room? Does the No-Burn absorb into the matting?

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-27 1:59 pm   Permalink

I do both sides. It absorbs a bit, but that varies depending on how porous the surface is that you're coating. I didn't count on it to soak in enough to protect the other side, even on very loose weave, thin, grass matting. It's worth considering where your most likely sources of fire would be: I was particularly thorough in the sections that would be near electrical boxes (though there's other barriers in place). Basically: what will help you sleep better at night? When in doubt, fire retard it.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-28 04:24 am   Permalink

And buy a fire extinguisher.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-01 08:51 am   Permalink

Flame Stop Exterior is clear and won't wash off. When I have to use it I use that. And, it's done for ever. Aloha! BB

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation