FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Music Downloads ('off topic', a bit)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Music Downloads ('off topic', a bit)
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-08 08:58 am   Permalink

<<Is it really a *fact* that more people are searching for obscure? I haven't seen any hard data in this area... >>

I don't have a link to the studies, just have seen them cited. Check out saveinternetradio.com, if you really want to find them. It's part of a larger argument about the medium.

<<Also, the ethical conundrum I face with MP3 has nothing to do with the intent of song-swappers and what their interests are, as much as it has to do with the interests of the performers/artists/copyright holders. >>

I don't say it as an ethical point, but as a business point. Assuming it's true, then it makes it impossible to build the business of MP3 swapping. Well, difficult. Sort of like Ebay. Ebay has the most stuff, so people looking for the obscure have a better chance to find it there. A new auction site doesn't have a chance. Especially a pay-to-view site.

No one will pay to join to swap, because the point is to tap into a large base to find the stuff you want. But to have the base, you need to be free.

Perhaps they will find a way to make it so cheap, it will be nearly free, and yet have enough revenue to matter. Promote the music and musicians and not drive off users.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-08 2:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 08:58, Swanky wrote:
I don't say it as an ethical point, but as a business point. Assuming it's true, then it makes it impossible to build the business of MP3 swapping.

File-swapping shouldn’t be a business. It makes no sense business-wise, because for it to be legit and fair, the copyright holders of every song on the service should (A) have given permission for it to be there and (B) get money when the song is swapped, if desired.

So the system needs to correctly identify each song, who is the copyright holder, and determine whether or not the copyright holder has given permission to swap the song, and for how much in royalties.

The only accurate way to do that is to exclude all mp3s except those that have been verified by a human being or a checksum process. It would basically exclude all the obscure, independent, and rare music. In other words, if MP3s of The Fishermen (a local SF band with no releases) are on my PC, these services should either (A) find a way to pay the fishermen when the file is shared (impossible on a mass scale) or (B) exclude it from being shared.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-08 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 08:58, Swanky wrote:
No one will pay to join to swap, because the point is to tap into a large base to find the stuff you want. But to have the base, you need to be free.

A similar argument goes for record companies selling their complete music archive online. Why should they sell MP3s online when the preferred, number one, cost-free and guilt-free method is by using a free file-swapping service? They’d no doubt be selling their music to a small percentage of people who would then turn around and file-share it, so the theory goes. For legit online sales of MP3s to go into full swing, file sharing needs to first be pushed to the fringe.

I have no doubt that eventually we’ll see record labels offering on-demand versions of every song/album in their archives available for sale through their website. Why? Because to a lesser degree they do that today. They release and re-release as much of their old catalog as is financially viable. But with online on-demand creation/delivery of the product, the financial risks of selling music goes waaaaaay down, because you’re not having to produce CDs, you’re not stocking warehouses, and you’re not trying to predict demand.

But, for that to happen, file-sharing, not just in practice, but in concept, has to become more taboo. If users don’t think there’s *anything* wrong with it (and seeing people protest Metallica when they sued Napster proves that there are plenty who feel that way).

(all in theory, anyway)

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-09-05 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-05 00:57, MrsCarnaby wrote:

...a collective TWO PEOPLE WORLDWIDE downloaded my upload of 'The Crystal Bus-Stop's' non-charting B-side 'Gotta Getta Girl' (1967) - one of whom 'aborted' half way, sending a message; 'This is crap'! Hee hee.)...

All best,
Amanda

[ This Message was edited by: MrsCarnaby on 2002-07-05 01:37 ]

Yes I know this is an OLD thread...

I cannot seem to find any reference of "The Crystal Bus-Stop" anywhere and am curious if this is the
song cited as performed by California Ramblers.

And, what pray tell was the A-side song?

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation