FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » my latest project... guerrilla tiki..
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
my latest project... guerrilla tiki..
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 09:58 am   Permalink

so yeah, I have been thinking of doing this for years. Now I finally am, and I'm havin' a lot of fun in the process...

basically I made a few efforts to figure out who I might speak to in local government to get an "OK" to do this, and got nowhere, so I just said "fuck it" and started doing it anyway.

Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission... or neither... lol...

anyway, here are the first 4 GUERRILLA TIKIS... all in Tampa Fl...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 10:05 am   Permalink

Nice work! Any feedback in the news?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 10:25 am   Permalink

Haha, that's badass! Sorta like taking street art to another level with street sculpture. How long approximately do one of these take and are you doing them in secrecy at all or just in broad daylight?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 10:40 am   Permalink

Very cool!
I do guerrilla gardening and seed bombing and I've toyed with the idea of placing random tiki's in street medians and other areas that need sprucing up. Buzzy makes bargain bin tiki's and I think they would be good candidates since they look like classic tiki's.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 10:44 am   Permalink

not hiding from anyone, I do 'em in the open. I just pull up, throw my stuff together, cut one & run.... I try to knock 'em out quick so I don't have any cop hassles... not that I think I am doing anything wrong, but I technically, I may be breaking the law here... lol...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 10:47 am   Permalink

This was originally done as a prank/birthday present/guerrilla art project in Pasadena, CA. The city wanted to take it down, but the public fought back and said they wanted to keep it. It's an 18 foot fork in the road.
Anyway, I love your guerrilla tiki project. Keep it up!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 10:59 am   Permalink

Indeed! More folks should do this! And your Tikis are really nice ones, you have the knack for it! I especially like the last one.

You should make up some kind of manifest, for when any press (or cops) pick up on this, like so:

"Once Tikis used to be numerous in Florida, now they are almost extinct. This "Bring back the Tikis" project is dedicated to rekindling the positive mana that the Tiki idol brought to the people. Long live the American Tiki tradition!"

…or something like that

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VinylGeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-09-10 11:18 am   Permalink

This is awesome, driving around LA, I always thought someone should do this. I would, but I lack the necessary carving skills/ equipment. Hopefully this will catch on as it's way better than those awkwardly tall stumps.

View Profile of VinylGeek Send a personal message to VinylGeek  Email VinylGeek Goto the website of VinylGeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 12:07 pm   Permalink

oh yeah, I left a few "freebies" behind on the last one just to make things interesting... lol...

I'll probably keep doing that...

#5 is gonna drop here in a couple of hours...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-09-10 12:54 pm   Permalink

Very cool Jeff!!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 2:36 pm   Permalink

Very cool. Nice work. So are these trees that have had a portion removed and a portion left behind and you are just finding them?

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 8:18 pm   Permalink

#5...

downtown tampa!!! lol...

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-09-10 9:24 pm   Permalink

This all is so cool! You totally rock!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-09-10 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-10 09:58, pjc5150 wrote:
Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission... or neither... lol...

For something like this, you are definitely right. As they say, "To seek permission, is to seek denial."

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-09-10 11:45 pm   Permalink

More More More!!!!
That's Killa bra!!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation