Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lost Spirits Distillery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Lost Spirits Distillery
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-04 10:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-04 16:41, VinylGeek wrote:
Does anyone know if they've stopped production on the rums completely or are they just on hiatus? I haven't seem to be able to get a definitive answer. Any info would be great, mahalo in advance

Apparently their technology is being used by a new company to make a rum called "Santeria">

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=22524

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-05 09:44 am   Permalink

From the myriad articles I've read, it seems that their approach is more project than production. I wish I had sussed that out earlier...like, before the holidays when I could still find the bottles at a local.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-05 10:29 am   Permalink

From what I have heard is that all of their rums are out of production. I do not think that they are making rum currently. They always seemed to favor whiskeys in my opinion. Rum seemed more like a test market.

Hopechest, keep looking. I found a bottle recently and drank the rest from a bar that had a bottle. They are out there but you might just have to spend some time searching.

I am going to boycott any rum named after a sublime song...

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2016-02-05 10:29 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-05 9:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-05 10:29, lunavideogames wrote:

I am going to boycott any rum named after a sublime song...

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2016-02-05 10:29 ]

believe me when I say that they got something for your punk-aiss!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VinylGeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-06 08:57 am   Permalink

Apparently their technology is being used by a new company to make a rum called "Santeria">

[/quote]

Thanks PalmtreePat, I thought that might be case. I never got the chance to try any of the rums but I was hoping they'd stick around. I did find one bottle of their navy rum recently but it was $70. Besides the price point, I didn't want to get attached. Plus, I could buy two or three other bottles and really fill in the holes of my home bar for the same money.

View Profile of VinylGeek Send a personal message to VinylGeek  Email VinylGeek Goto the website of VinylGeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-06 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-06 08:57, VinylGeek wrote:

Thanks PalmtreePat, I thought that might be case. I never got the chance to try any of the rums but I was hoping they'd stick around. I did find one bottle of their navy rum recently but it was $70. Besides the price point, I didn't want to get attached. Plus, I could buy two or three other bottles and really fill in the holes of my home bar for the same money.

[/quote]

I think they're really worth getting and hanging on to for special occasions. They compare favorably to Hamilton's cask-strength St Lucians, lots of smoke and butterscotch. If you're near Westwood Wally's still has a few bottles around last I checked. The Polynesian and Cuban styles are both really good as floaters on damn near any drink, and you really only need maybe half an ounce.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VinylGeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-08 9:52 pm   Permalink

I think they're really worth getting and hanging on to for special occasions. They compare favorably to Hamilton's cask-strength St Lucians, lots of smoke and butterscotch. If you're near Westwood Wally's still has a few bottles around last I checked. The Polynesian and Cuban styles are both really good as floaters on damn near any drink, and you really only need maybe half an ounce.
[/quote]

I'm over in the Eastside, close to the BarKeeper, so I don't make it out to the 405 if I can help it, but Westwood Wally's looks like a great place and one that I haven't been to. Thanks for the suggestion.

View Profile of VinylGeek Send a personal message to VinylGeek  Email VinylGeek Goto the website of VinylGeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-13 08:25 am   Permalink

One of the local liquor chains is blowing them out at $9.99 a bottle, I'll be making the rounds and snapping any I can up.

Update: 22 bottles of the full proof Navy, not so bad a day.

[ This Message was edited by: dan 2016-02-13 20:11 ]

View Profile of Dan Send a personal message to Dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-23 2:00 pm   Permalink

Lost Spirits has their "rum reactor" technology and can make their products in just days. Now another company is turning heads with whiskey, helping alleviate the current whiskey shortage, and making their products in about a day. Here's a link to a video with some very good insights into how the process works. No fancy-schmancy crazy reactions. Just distilled spirits under high pressure with various types of wood. This is Cleveland Whiskey.

http://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/aged-whiskey-in-24-hours

This left me wondering if the Lost Spirits technology was copied/stolen/sold to others.

No barrel aging? Dang, the world is getting weirder every day.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-11 2:50 pm   Permalink

To anyone that was a fan of their last effort, they are back with a new product, available now:

Lost Spirits Distillery 61% California Navy Style Rum

Bryan Davis from Lost Spirits is back again; this time with a new navy-style rum at 61%. Distilled on his brand new copper still from Grade A molasses, then aged in new American oak treated with sherry, the spirit offers a classic rum profile with that trademark hint of funkiness that we've come to depend on from Mr. Davis and of course utilizes his special aging techniques. It's familiar and likable, yet unique and out-of-the-ordinary. It's everything we've seen from Bryan in the past, but improved upon and cleaner than ever. Imagine the Smith & Cross meets El Dorado, but made in California. You get the richness from the sherry and the sarsaparilla notes of pot-distilled molasses.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-01-11 3:46 pm   Permalink

I assume there's still no distribution to Texas?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-11 7:37 pm   Permalink

A nice write up here too: http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=24451

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-29 06:18 am   Permalink

The current state of Lost Spirits is discussed in this article from a few days ago:

IS THE DISTILLERY TOUR AT LOST SPIRITS THE WACKIEST IN THE WORLD?
https://www.liquor.com/articles/lost-spirits/

Lots of good info, and photos.

(Would it be copyright infringement if I pasted the whole article and photos here in order to "preserve" it for future readers?)

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation