[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Hawaii Calls
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hawaii Calls
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 1:08 pm   Permalink

In my neck of the woods it seems like every Hawaiian record you find is a Hawaii Calls LP - it must have been real popular here in Maryland! I've actually gotten to the point where I don't pick them up anymore - how many different versions of "Pearly Shells" and "Hawaiian Wedding Song" does one man need?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 1:20 pm   Permalink

must be ~ i picked up an almost mint hawaii calls greatest hits this past sunday in timonium... *maryland represent*

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 12:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-11 13:08, johntiki wrote:
how many different versions of "Pearly Shells" and "Hawaiian Wedding Song" does one man need?

You can't be serious. I must have dozens and dozens.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-15 12:17, Kailuageoff wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-08-11 13:08, johntiki wrote:
how many different versions of "Pearly Shells" and "Hawaiian Wedding Song" does one man need?

You can't be serious. I must have dozens and dozens.

Precisely...I draw the line at about 20!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 12:56 pm   Permalink

20 is a nice round number. So is 200.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 11:20 pm   Permalink

Website

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:16 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 10:13 am   Permalink

There is an old LP called "Hawaii Calls Show" It is a complete broadcast from open to closing. Very nice.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 5:33 pm   Permalink

Thought I'd bump this up .

http://www.hularecords.com/radio/

Arthur Lyman does two tunes live near the end of the show !

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-07-28 17:48 ]

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 1:01 pm   Permalink

I love the Hawaii Calls LPs, and no, they aren't broadcasting anymore. Everyone who was "anyone" performed with them in terms of Hawaiian music and some wonderful stars were launched there..if you don't have any of Haunani Kahalewai's LPs, you need to acquire some! I'm at work, so I can't give an exact count, but something like 20 Hawaii Calls LPs were issued.
As far as the instrumental series, I think this is the order:
They are all called "Favorite Instrumentals of The Islands, vol. whatever"
Vol. 1 - no subtitle
vol. 2 - Hawaiian Shores
vol. 3 - Hawaiian Strings
vol. 4 - Exotic Instrumentals (the tiki one)
vol. 5 - Romantic Instrumentals of The islands (with organ)
vol. 6 - Soft Hawaiian Guitars (I think...) (this one was more contemporary sounding).
they are all beautiful. Of course, I hope everyone has they're two ventures into exoticism.."Exotic Instrumentals" and "Fire Goddess."
Cheers

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 11:38 am   Permalink

Here is a list of all (I think) of the Hawaii Calls LPs that were released. This list does NOT include the solo albums by artists like Alfred Apaka and Haunani though.

http://digitiki.com/hawaiicalls.htm

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 09:09 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting the list Mark!!

Your website looks great too BTW. Great info on the Milt Raskin downloads too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-01 4:18 pm   Permalink

There is a Hawaiian Internet radio station that re-broadcasts episodes every Saturday at 4PM PST. I'm listening to it right now as I type this.
http://www.alohajoe.com/hicalls.htm
The other website mentioned, hularecords.com , only re-broadcasts episodes once a month. But the advantage to them is that you can listen whenever you like. Finally, I found this link to a broadcast from December 29, 1949:
http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/cumberlandgapbc/491229HawaiiCalls.mp3
You'll notice that this one is an mp3, meaning you can actually download it and burn it to CD if you desire.
There is also another Hawaii Calls record not previously mentioned called something like "Webley Edwards presents Hawaii: Our Fiftieth State" or something like that. It features a gate-fold cover and a ten page booklet. It also features a track by Arthur Lyman, a truncated version of the Hawaii Calls radio show, and lots of dialog and SFX clips which I used to incorporate into my sets when I was a deejay. Well worth seeking out.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-01 9:44 pm   Permalink

This is beautiful! Thanks so much for posting...

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2007-12-01 22:09 ]

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-01 10:30 pm   Permalink

For those with broadband --

http://www.yoyoisland.com/tiki-tube.htm

Scroll down to find an embedded YouTube vid of Martin Denny on "Hawaii Calls".

(Apologies for not including a "Viewing Guide" on Tiki-Tube yet -- if you have display / interactivity problems, try our FAQ link at the bottom of the page, and I'll get onto correcting the oversite here next week.)

A great show; someday they'll all be available to downstream, I'm sure...

Cheers and Best Aloha,
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-12-01 22:30 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 11:28 am   Permalink

Trader Rick,
Yes, the LP is kinda like an audio visit to Hawaii, the first track are the sounds of the ship arriving and people yelling "aloha". The record is quite nice actually. The Arthur Lyman track is "Sim Sim" which is featured on one of his records.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation