FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-29 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-29 02:27, Hiphipahula wrote:
I am bartending Today Thurs, Sat & Sunday this week. Oct. 29 so come on down 4-8pm Happy Hour Handcrafted Original Tiki Cocktail specials. See you at the Tonga Hut! 12808 Victory Bl. No. Hollywood, Ca.

GROG thirsty.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-10-29 10:21 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 1:46 pm   Permalink

News flash and update !! The Tonga Hut might very well be the most perfect Tiki Bar in the entire world from 4:00-8:00pm Thu, Sat, & Sun. Here's why:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34336&forum=1&vpost=492914

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-10 1:47 pm   Permalink

Hip-Hip-Hooray for Kelly, Jeremy,and Co.
for making the Tonga Hut a great tiki destination!
Up there with Trader Vic's, Don's, and Tiki Ti.
Here's to another 50 years!

[ This Message was edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-11-10 13:48 ]

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom

Posted: 2009-11-15 11:40 am   Permalink

Tonga Hut has never been better since Hiphipahula started tending there! Sherriyaki & I always have a great time with Kelly. Be sure to stop by for some of her own deviously delectable drinks on Saturdays and/or Sundays between 4 and 8pm. You will NOT be disappointed. Oh yeah, don't forget to sign up for the Grog Log list...we've downed 26, so catch us if you can!

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 10:14 am   Permalink

Now that I work in Sherman Oaks, I may have to do lunch or happy hour on a regular basis.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 7:37 pm   Permalink

The Tonga Hut doesn't provide their tropical drink menu on-line so I took a picture for you. For any of these drinks that are in the Grog Log, you can specifically request they be mixed that way.

Also when Kelly (aka Hipahipahula) is behind the bar, try one of her original concoctions. I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to my beverages. I loves my Manhattans, Gin Martinis, Gimlets; and my Scotch and Bourbon neat. It was that way for the Tropicals too, i.e. Navy Grog, Zombie, Suffering Bastard, etc. I was never really into the Tiki Revival drinks. That changed however after having some of Kelly's new drinks. The Shaka Hula Bossa Nova and Zorroro are probably two of the BEST Tropicals I've ever enjoyed. Also you know how sometimes it's hard to tell the drinks apart at Tiki-Ti. I haven't had that problem yet with Kelly's drinks. The ones that I've had were very distinct.

Here's some extras for you. On the left is Lisa Marie mixing one up Grog Log style. On the right is the Moai (I think that's Yiddish for big head) near the front entrance.

I wanted to get a picture of (owner) Jeremy and Kelly but they took off to eat tacos.

See you at the Tonga Hut !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-11-23 21:55 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tonga hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 5:58 pm   Permalink

Just announced!! Sunday Jan. 17 2010 The Tonga Hut is proud to announce we will
be honoring our first Tikiphiles Tonga Tom and Sherryaki who were first
to complete all cocktails in the "The Grog Log" !!

Please join us at 4:00 pm with cameras in hand as we present them, our first members of the "Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard" On hand will be our in house Tiki Artist Kirby along with Owner Jeremy presenting Tonga Hut's custom made placard. Thank you Kirby and all our Tonga Hut "Bastards"!

Marty Lush in the Hut to spin all the great sounds of Tiki! Snacks are being served along with great handcrafted cocktail by Hiphipahula! Feel free to bring snacks, cookies
or anything you would like to share.
See you here! Jeremy, Hiphipahula, Lisa-Marie, Kat, Katie,Chad & Trevor

View Profile of tonga hut Send a personal message to tonga hut  Email tonga hut Goto the website of tonga hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom

Posted: 2010-01-18 4:26 pm   Permalink

Here's a couple pix Kelly took of Sherriyaki & myself from the earlier days of our Grog Log journey...

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-18 4:59 pm   Permalink

Congratulations! Completing the Grog Log is a noble accomplishment.

Sorry I couldn't be there, but I will definitely hoist a mug in your honor Wednesday if you guys are swinging by Kirby's.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 2:53 pm   Permalink

The latest addition to the Tonga Hut, unearthed from Svens closet!
Looks like it has been there all along. Great acquisition!
Yay Sven, Amy, Jeremy, Kelly, and Tonga Hut!

[ This Message was edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-07-06 15:13 ]

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tonga hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-12 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-19 23:11, OceaOtica wrote:
this trip to the Tonga Hut yeilded some photos and information. i asked the bartender, adelle, if she thought taking photos would be okay, to which she promptly replied no. she did, however, call the owner and leave a message asking permission. while waiting for a return answer, i ordered a beer and asked adelle if she could tell me about the bars history. her reply was that she did not know much about it. as she said this she was scanning the bar seats because there was one woman that did; she happened to be sitting next to me. the woman, i would put her in her 70's, indulged my questioning, though it was hard to hear what she had to say. i also never caught her name. she had been going to the bar since 1961.
two brothers had opened the bar in 1958. the place was usually packed and they served exotic tropical drinks in tiki mugs and bowls. from what i could gather, the brothers sold it in the 1990's. one brother moved to hawaii, where he lived out the rest of his life. the other brother remained here and passed away about two years ago. i think she said one of the brother's daughter sold it. it was being run by one of the former bartenders who sold it a few years ago. the current owner has been running it as a locals bar, and has sold it. in fact there was a declaration on the door about the sale. in one month the Tonga Hut will change hands again. i asked if adelle or the woman knew if the new buyers intended to keep it the same, and both ladies seemed to think that was there intent.
at that point adelle asked a guy at the bar about shooting photos, and he said it was alright as long as i did not shoot the patrons. it seemed odd that he could give the permission, but adelle said he was a former bartender and that if he sais it was okay, it was okay.
so here is my attempt to document the Tonga Hut, without being able to shoot any good wide shots of the bar.

7ft moai inside just inside the door

rt side of bar lined with green booths

past booths, alcove area with this rocky surfaced tiki fountain

palm leaf

behind the bar, four level fountain that started from ceiling, unfortunately no longer running, spotted omc bowl to the right of cash register

this lined the top of the bar, much more impressive in person, this rim was circular and wavy, not rectangular

behind the bar, there are many old statues and tikis

this carving was on the door to the stock room
as i left, adelle asked me if next time i was going to order the "fufu" drinks. i told her i would be back for one. i definitely want to find out more, get the names, and talk to the old bartender.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-19 23:24 ]</font>

That beautiful, wonderful, soft spoken woman, beloved woman was "Dottie" Dorothy Raub, she remained our most loyal customer of 50 years until her death this year Feb. 1 2010 of a stroke. Dottie was 87 years young. Please take the time to know more about her here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35387&forum=6&hilite=Dottie%20raub
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35387&forum=6&hilite=Dottie%20raub
7.12.10 hiphipkjr

View Profile of tonga hut Send a personal message to tonga hut  Email tonga hut Goto the website of tonga hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-12 6:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-12 13:16, tonga hut wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-01-19 23:11, OceaOtica wrote:
this trip to the Tonga Hut yeilded some photos and information. i asked the bartender, adelle, if she thought taking photos would be okay, to which she promptly replied no. she did, however, call the owner and leave a message asking permission. while waiting for a return answer, i ordered a beer and asked adelle if she could tell me about the bars history. her reply was that she did not know much about it. as she said this she was scanning the bar seats because there was one woman that did; she happened to be sitting next to me. the woman, i would put her in her 70's, indulged my questioning, though it was hard to hear what she had to say. i also never caught her name. she had been going to the bar since 1961.
two brothers had opened the bar in 1958. the place was usually packed and they served exotic tropical drinks in tiki mugs and bowls. from what i could gather, the brothers sold it in the 1990's. one brother moved to hawaii, where he lived out the rest of his life. the other brother remained here and passed away about two years ago. i think she said one of the brother's daughter sold it. it was being run by one of the former bartenders who sold it a few years ago. the current owner has been running it as a locals bar, and has sold it. in fact there was a declaration on the door about the sale. in one month the Tonga Hut will change hands again. i asked if adelle or the woman knew if the new buyers intended to keep it the same, and both ladies seemed to think that was there intent.
at that point adelle asked a guy at the bar about shooting photos, and he said it was alright as long as i did not shoot the patrons. it seemed odd that he could give the permission, but adelle said he was a former bartender and that if he sais it was okay, it was okay.
so here is my attempt to document the Tonga Hut, without being able to shoot any good wide shots of the bar.

7ft moai inside just inside the door

rt side of bar lined with green booths

past booths, alcove area with this rocky surfaced tiki fountain

palm leaf

behind the bar, four level fountain that started from ceiling, unfortunately no longer running, spotted omc bowl to the right of cash register

this lined the top of the bar, much more impressive in person, this rim was circular and wavy, not rectangular

behind the bar, there are many old statues and tikis

this carving was on the door to the stock room
as i left, adelle asked me if next time i was going to order the "fufu" drinks. i told her i would be back for one. i definitely want to find out more, get the names, and talk to the old bartender.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-19 23:24 ]

That beautiful, wonderful, soft spoken woman, beloved woman was "Dottie" Dorothy Raub, she remained our most loyal customer of 50 years until her death this year Feb. 1 2010 of a stroke. Dottie was 87 years young. Please take the time to know more about her here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35387&forum=6&hilite=Dottie%20raub
7.12.10 hiphipkjr

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-04 10:04 am   Permalink

Tonga hut's new web site is up! Very tasty if I do say so myself (evil grin)!!!

oh, its at
http://www.tongahut.com

[ This Message was edited by: Marty Lush 2010-08-04 10:04 ]

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2010-08-04 10:49 am   Permalink

Nice looking website.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-04 11:35 am   Permalink

Great job Mark! Nice photos Tom!
Tonga Hut keeps getting better and better!
Here is to another 50 years!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation