FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 1:57 pm   Permalink

Christiki
Actually some of the tiki artifacts they had behind the bar have been stolen!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 6:45 pm   Permalink

Horrors! First RiderSouth & now this.

May the tiki gods curse them, Pele style, until the day they die!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 6:25 pm   Permalink

On Saturday, I learned that the Tonga Hut has been sold.
Cyn, a waitress, raised expectations by stating the new owner was going to fix the two fountains and ensure the tikiness is preserved.

Unfortunately, when I met the owner, he did not seem to be particularly interested in tiki. He refused to let me in, even though I showed him my TiKiTOny tiki lei and my tiki mug, claiming that it was a private party and patronizingly told me to come back the following night.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-11-11 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-10 18:25, christiki295 wrote:
On Saturday, I learned that the Tonga Hut has been sold.
Cyn, a waitress, raised expectations by stating the new owner was going to fix the two fountains and ensure the tikiness is preserved.

Unfortunately, when I met the owner, he did not seem to be particularly interested in tiki.

I love Tiki bars and I love Dive bars and The Tonga Hut is a Tiki Dive Bar, whaich is a double ZAZZ to me! I hope it sticks around!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 2:04 pm   Permalink

I got an email from the new owners of the Tonga Hut, I'll relay part of it here
Quote:

This is just a quick note to let you know that my partner and I just purchased the Tonga Hut in November 05 and we do intend to preserve the tiki vibe of the place.

We are not changing the name or the decor. We do intend to redecorate and replace the beer mirrors and neons with Polynesian art work (oil paintings, etc). And yes, we plan to fix the fountains. We cannot get it all done immediately, but we plan to work on restoring the place little by little.

The jukebox has been updated with a variety of music and there is one Martin Denny CD in rotation (more Exotica to come). The bartenders know how to make Mai Tais and we will be adding a handful of tropical drinks to the menu in the coming weeks.

If you feel it is appropriate, please pass this info on to your forum participants.

Thanks,

Tonga Hut Management

Interesting!

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:21 pm   Permalink

ZAZZ!!!

I LOVE the Tonga Hut--a tiki dive bar extraordinaire!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 5:33 pm   Permalink

dear tonga hut managment,
If you need some awsome tiki art to hang up on the walls instead of the taki neon beer signs Id be happy offer some of my art.....thanx kirby

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 01:13 am   Permalink

Mahalo for sharing, Hanford.

Maybe you could ask them to return the map of Tonga, which had been replaced with a generic flower print.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 12:48 pm   Permalink

The Tonga Hut is on the road to glory.

Dramatic first steps have already been taken. Any fears that the Tonga Hut was going to become a sports bar can be laid aside. The owner, Jeremy, has very ambitious plans for re-tikification, which include placing OA art above all of the booths,restoring both fountains and creating a Tonga Hut mug.

Although it has just been approximately 3 months since the new ownership, there already is a marked improvement:

1.There are no more beer signs - I was there with TikiTanked and personally witnessed the owner, Jeremy, obliterate the last O'Douls sign.

2. The map of the Kingdom of Tonga, has been restored, courtesy of Oriental Gifts on Washington in Culver City (where cost-effective Hawaiiana can be found).

3.The air no longer smells of stale smoke.

4. A moai has been added to the rear entrance.

5. Incredibly nice, and sexy, bartenders have been added, Taylor & Cyd.

6. Most importantly, the palm-wood tikis are still there and in suprisingly good shape.

Time for all of those who have been away to revisit!

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2006-01-24 18:41 ]

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 6:14 pm   Permalink

Chris,
A good time last night, thank you.
We need to get them them the Grog Log and Intoxica for sure!
I volunteered myself to do some restoration work on the fountains. May be relying on the knowledge of some TC ohana, so I will post progress as it goes. The bar area fountain "pool" is actually a large slab of rock. Lighting was dim, so i never noticed its actually rock, not painted fiberglass as many modern fountain pools are done. The surface sealer resin coat is flaking on, some it needs some work. Otherwise I believe it just calls for a new pump. i have to climb into the under crawl space to check the pvc for cracking, but at initial glance it appeared okay.
the beautiful 3 tiered fountain behind the bar is another story. i did not inspect it closely, but Jeremy mentioned cracks in the "bowls" and it will take some tweaking to get the bowls in the right position so they flow to the next level properly, As fas pumps go, i have no idea what shape it is in.
Things look optimistic. Jeremy definitely has his own vision for the interior, but they have the right roots and do not seem like they will ruin the previously established look. He is open to ideas and is interested in seeing and learning more.
This is definitely a "project" bar, and I know that TCers will be called into play as he builds reserves for preservation and new additions. Hopefully TCers in the area can put this on their route because, as Christiki has mentioned, Tonga has changed drastically in the short time since the ownership changed, and the revenue will go to speed up the bar's renewal.
TT

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked 2006-01-22 20:41 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:11 am   Permalink

It makes me very happy that Tonga is tiki-ing back up! My wife and I love that little bar but haven't been there in a couple of months due to vet bills (our dog has been seriously ill). But hearing that it has been purchased by someone interested in the tiki aspect of the bar is good news. We're definately going to have to go ack for a visit.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cyd

Posted: 2006-01-23 10:11 am   Permalink

Just wanted to say thank you to... Christiki295, MrSmiley, TikiTanked, Kirby and of course Hanford that has been so helpful in spreading the news about all the changes that have been going on at the TONGA HUT, since the new owners took over in November.

I've been working there for almost three years now and three owners too - So, it is so nice to finally have owners that care!!! They have made tremendous strides in such a short time. They have great plans ahead, and are doing things as money permits... More People = More Money = Better TONGA HUT Faster!!!

Thank you again for spreading the word and also for your patronage. Oh... and thank you for your kind words about me too

Mahalo,
CYD
Bartender at the Tonga Hut

(Feel free to come see me on Saturday and Sunday nights... I make a mean Mai Tai - and tell me your from TikiCentral)

[ This Message was edited by: Cyd 2006-01-23 18:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cyd 2006-01-23 18:32 ]

View Profile of Cyd Send a personal message to Cyd  Email Cyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 10:11, Cyd wrote:

Feel free to come see me on Saturday and Sunday nights... I make a mean Mai Tai - and tell me your from TikiCentral

Nice first post, Cyd. I may see you Saturday.

Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 11:08 pm   Permalink

a long long time ago i gave the BOT to the owner with doubtful wishful thinking.

this news just made my night. no. it made my month.

Your Ultra Style Guide for Modern Living!

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 11:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 23:08, Futura Girl wrote:
a long long time ago i gave the BOT to the owner with doubtful wishful thinking.

this news just made my night. no. it made my month.

Way to spread the tiki faith.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation