FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki In Texas??? Anyone have luck finding them here!?!?!?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki In Texas??? Anyone have luck finding them here!?!?!?
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-27 12:29 pm   Permalink

Hi ETL/Brian!

Your Conroe oasis is truly lovely. You undoubtedly enjoy many a Mai Tai gazing out upon it! (I sure would.)

Regarding where to find tiki in the Houston area:
I'm afraid you're competing with the likes of BigT, Kilikopela and Brit, el Jefe, Tomas of Sig's Lagoon, Conroe-dwelling-Clouseaux-member-and-fab-tiki-carver Jay (Aloha Tx Tiki Co.), the owners of Lei Low, other Houstonians, Austinites like croe67 who hit town here and *me* (I'm hunting all the time!), so I can attest that there is indeed tiki to be found, but you're not the only one looking
But it is certainly no longer as easy to find as in days of yore (or as in California, you lucky bastages), so many hunting expeditions come up dry.

(That Texas' Largest Antique Mall? Yeah, I'm there regularly. Rarely find much there anymore, to be honest, but if you're there, I was probably there a week before you! Ha! Yeah, I have no life.... )

Honestly, I find more these days on trips out of town and out of state. (And tiki events like Ohana, Oasis, Hukilau, etc. are the best source by FAR.)
My suitcases leave half-empty and return full.
But the carvers my fellow Texans have mentioned here are great sources for beautiful pieces.
(Jay, I need some of your stuff!!!)

Love to meet you and your wahine at Lei Low sometime soon!
Formikahini/alice b

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-27 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2014-12-20 12:56, danlovestikis wrote:
It seems like vintage Ren Clark severed heads and other mugs should be found in Texas since his Polynesian Village was located there. Good luck, the hunt is a lot of the fun. Wendy

Wendy, I've often fantasized about knocking door-to-door in Ft. Worth with a milk carton picture of "Have you seen this severed head mug?"

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freeland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-06 8:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-20 12:56, danlovestikis wrote:
It seems like vintage Ren Clark severed heads and other mugs should be found in Texas since his Polynesian Village was located there. Good luck, the hunt is a lot of the fun. Wendy

You would think... I've had better luck with hens teeth.

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-27 11:10 am   Permalink

New tiki bar in Lake Jackson, Texas called......wait for it..........Poly Pop

https://business.facebook.com/pg/Poly-Pop-224002008161338/photos/?ref=page_internal

I drove by last week and they were putting the finishing touches on it!

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation