FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Chin's, Livonia, MI (restaurant )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Chin's, Livonia, MI (restaurant )
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 5:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-05 13:10, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
if i am not mistaken, and i rarely am, there was an article in a local paper many years ago that chef shangri-la was serving cats in lieu of cow for their dishes.....this must have been a good 9 years back or more....i may have to research the tribune archives for this one....hmmmmm. but never fear...they have since cleaned up their act and i have eaten there many times since.

I'd like to think that the quote above was written "tongue in cheek". Because, clearly I could find an article to substantiate any preconceived notion about any ethnicity. What I find horrifying about the "Cat" issue is that another generation could be raised to believe that people are stereotypes. Being Jewish and looking like everyone else seems to allow people who are "unaware", the latitude to be insulting when I'm around. It's not okay to teach your children to be biased against any ethnic group. Read the news sometime... this tribe hates that tribe, millions die, we are not the same religion, millions die. I'm not meaning to be political but it's important that we do not "raise" generation after generation of small minded ignorant people...

And, if you wish to know what the cat symbolizes in Asian culture you might try Google for an informed answer!

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RudyV

Posted: 2007-08-15 10:58 pm   Permalink

Will there be a tiki party this year at Chin's? MotorCityTiki.com has become a cobwebsite, and I've heard no news of anything coming up.

View Profile of RudyV Send a personal message to RudyV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michele

Posted: 2007-08-31 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-05 11:24, dogbytes wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-06-03 15:12, Michele wrote:
My son teases my cat that she has a bald chin, look what he did to the Chin's sign OMG! too funny and you know what they say about CHINese food and cats YIKES!! Have a good laugh![

Well Michelle, I for one am not laughing. Please tell me what proof you have that Chin's or other Chinese restuarants serve cats to their customers? These common stereotypes are NOT accurate or humorous, but rather reek of racism . Did your son learn that from you?"

Never said that you ASSUMED it. I was saying that my cat has a bald CHIN, so he put her photo on the CHIN'S sign get it? Calling people racist, nice. Yes, there were articles about SOME Chinese restaurants serving meat other than cow, one in Pontiac did close because of evidence, I never pointed any fingers, I enjoy life and make light of things. Chill out life's too short.

View Profile of Michele Send a personal message to Michele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-08-31 4:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-31 15:19, Michele wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

My son teases my cat that she has a bald chin, look what he did to the Chin's sign OMG! too funny and you know what they say about CHINese food and cats YIKES!! Have a good laugh![

Well Michelle, I for one am not laughing. Please tell me what proof you have that Chin's or other Chinese restuarants serve cats to their customers? These common stereotypes are NOT accurate or humorous, but rather reek of racism . Did your son learn that from you?"

Never said that you ASSUMED it. I was saying that my cat has a bald CHIN, so he put her photo on the CHIN'S sign get it? Calling people racist, nice. Yes, there were articles about SOME Chinese restaurants serving meat other than cow, one in Pontiac did close because of evidence, I never pointed any fingers, I enjoy life and make light of things. Chill out life's too short.

But you did say this: "you know what they say about CHINese food and cats YIKES!!"

So when you "make light of things", racist comments are okay because "life's too short"?

And if someone points it out just tell them to "chill out".

Nice.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-15 22:58, RudyV wrote:
Will there be a tiki party this year at Chin's? MotorCityTiki.com has become a cobwebsite, and I've heard no news of anything coming up.

there may yet be a chin tiki event this fall.....the official word is not in, but it could be feasible if chin's is a little more amicable about shelling out some dough to help pay for advertising this year instead of leaving it all up to the promotors, considering chin's makes a killing in terms of selling food and drinks, not to mention the piles of tips the waitstaff makes that night, making it their best night of the year. ...stay tuned.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-31 15:19, Michele wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

BACKPEDDLE! QUICK! Nothing like making a racist comment and then backing off on it saying that Life's too short!!! LET'S GO LYNCH SOMEONE. Jeez. (yes that was sarcasm.)

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 01:34 am   Permalink

Don't get me started on the racist concept of Chinese using dog/cat/whatever in Chinese food.

Okay, I will. Let's just step back and think about this logically.

1) Let's say you're a cook at a restaurant, and your boss says, "I need you to cook 50 lbs of meat, and I don't care what kind of meat it is." What's easier? a)Finding, catching, killing, skinning, gutting, and deboning 50 lb of cat/dog meat? b)having a USDA certified meat purveyor deliver inspected and already butchered meat right into your walk-in refrigerator. First of all, restaurants aren't even set up to process carcasses, they couldn't even pluck a chicken. Economically and practically, b) is the better choice.

2) Fact: Most Americans are used to mild tasting meat. We're used to corn fed beef, industrially raised chickens, and lean pork. All of them are mild tasting meats. Many people don't even like the taste of grass fed beef. Most people don't like gamier meats, lamb, goat, and especially not exotic game meats like elk, deer, or partridge. What do cats eat? Cat food and the occasional rat. Cat food smells terrible. I'm going to assume that would give cat meat a VERY distinct and assertive taste. ANYONE will know that's not beef/chicken/pork.

3) Perhaps it's true that SOME Chinese used to eat dog in the very rural areas. But presuming that means that ALL Chinese eat dog is the same logic as believing that ALL Americans eat roadkill opossum just because some hillbillies eat flattened opossum. That logic is flawed and smacks of racism.

I'm also going to have to call bullsh*t on the the claim that a Shangri-la even had cat meat in their refrigerator. Reliable source please? And just because we think "If I read it on the Interwebs it's gotta be true" let me point you over to snopes the myth and hoax debunking site:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chinese.asp

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-02 05:29 am   Permalink

PLease lets hope they have another event here this Fall. I ruly miss these. If I am not mistaken Chin Tiki has been sold to the Illitch. I would imagine no tours then. Still fun to have the vibe at Chins ( especially cause I live 2 miles away )

View Profile of Matiki Send a personal message to Matiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 10:47 am   Permalink

I'm also going to have to call bullsh*t on the the claim that a Shangri-la even had cat meat in their refrigerator. Reliable source please? And just because we think "If I read it on the Interwebs it's gotta be true" let me point you over to snopes the myth and hoax debunking site: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chinese.asp

[/quote]

listen you dope....just cause you don't want to beleive something happens doesnn't mean it does not happen.....and i am well aware of the snopes site ....the source i learned the above info from was a local newspaper.....not a stupid web blog or such....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-02 10:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
listen you dope....just cause you don't want to beleive something happens doesnn't mean it does not happen.....and i am well aware of the snopes site ....the source i learned the above info from was a local newspaper.....not a stupid web blog or such....

Looks like I will have to eat crow... or should I say opossum??

Here's a nutritional chart, oh man, looks like my cholesterol is going to go up the roof!
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21Cv.html

Here's how to kill and cook 'possum. Yeee haa!!!
http://members.tripod.com/~w3lap/possum_cook_book.htm

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-02 10:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I'm also going to have to call bullsh*t on the the claim that a Shangri-la even had cat meat in their refrigerator. Reliable source please? And just because we think "If I read it on the Interwebs it's gotta be true" let me point you over to snopes the myth and hoax debunking site: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chinese.asp

[/quote]

So you call him a dope but don't back up your claim? What's the name of the newspaper? Do they have an archive? Do you have a copy of the article in the closet next to your white robe?

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 9:32 pm   Permalink

quote]

So you call him a dope but don't back up your claim? What's the name of the newspaper? Do they have an archive? Do you have a copy of the article in the closet next to your white robe?
[/quote]

well... i thought his reply was dopey.....and look, i really don't care enough about this issue to argue it out amongst the simple people...cat or not....i don't really care. ....but if it helps me to rub your little noses in it, i'll do my best to find that article......

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 11:03 am   Permalink

Ugh....yeh....I came on this post to see some pictures of a Restaurant and maybe read some stories about the place. Can we get off this crap about the cats??

Damn it...now you got me thinking about this stuff. I gotta bring this up...anybody seen the movie Gumo from the early/mid 1990's??? Interesting hick/cat/restaurant scenes in that movie.

Lets get back to Tiki shall we??!!!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PeleeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-11 11:23 am   Permalink

Enough, please....

I was in downtown Detroit on Friday night going to the Tigers game w/my family, when my 9yr old son points and says "look dad, the building says tiki on it. Lo-behold it was the old Chin Tiki with painted brickscape advertising its' former identity. Anyone looking for it will find it near Columbia, just off of I75 service drive, south of the new ball-park.
Not sure if this is coincidence or what, but there were lot's of stray cats in the neighborhood.... hmmmmm

View Profile of PeleeTiki Send a personal message to PeleeTiki  Email PeleeTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-03 06:14 am   Permalink

The family was in the mood for some Tiki escapism so we went to Chins for Dinner. They have added a large portion of the original bar from Chin Tiki to the east side of the Dining room and have some new Tiki's from Chin Tiki. I still wonder what is inside the place. I check regularly for sign of demo. Illitch will probably bulldoze it all into a dumptruck. I wonder if an e-mail campainghn would make him think about stepping up with a place like that. With all the gambling going on Downtown we could be the Vegas of the Midwest. Any word on a Motown Tiki gathering?

View Profile of Matiki Send a personal message to Matiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation