FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts rvictor's tiki lab
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
rvictor's tiki lab
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-17 9:35 pm   Permalink

I guess this is as good a time as any to throw my work out onto the board and see what sticks. I will give Wendy Cevola the credit for encouraging me to post my play/work so that others can see. I also have to thank Jacques Pryor for his strategic placement of The Book of Tiki within his guest house, Hale Ulu Lulu, in Malanai (just outside of Hana). The tiki torch was lit.

This is a picture of the first hand built tiki mug I ever attempted. The build was sloppy, I didn't understand working with clay at all, I didn't do enough finish work, it was too heavy and the glazing is poor job. Damn was I happy with it. I think I will always love the mug...unless it falls and breaks. Then I will throw it away.

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-17 9:56 pm   Permalink

Hey you did a great job. Now you'll be hooked for life. I wish I'd started sooner but better later than never. Keep it up. I'll be watching, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-18 11:39 am   Permalink

Posting more pictures of the first tiki mugs I worked on. The second one was based on the old Seattle Outrigger logo. There are very few remnants of past glory in Seattle, and I really wish I would have been able to visit the place.

This first photo was after carving the mug.

Here are a few after glazing. I was going for the original black and yellow look but was then told, after I had applied a yellow underglaze, that the black would ruin the mug. I was advised to try brown but even then it came out slightly red. If anyone has suggestions about how I could have pulled this off better I would love to hear your advice.

View Profile of RVICTOR Send a personal message to RVICTOR  Email RVICTOR     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 09:04 am   Permalink

Ok...so my third mug was one that I did for my wife and was based on a sketch from one of my tiki sketchbooks, it's supposed to be a wooden witchdoctor's mask. I experimented with the wall thickness but found that it was too heavy. The findings from this experiment resulted in the following conclusion:

"The mug is too heavy when the difference between the weight of the mug full and the weight of the mug empty is negligible".

In other words, you need to be able to tell when it is time to start whipping up the next drink.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-20 2:16 pm   Permalink

I like the yellow brown mug as it is. All three mugs look great. I personally like thick and heavy mugs. I leave them in my molds for two hours just to get that effect. I guess no one knows when they need to mix the next drink when using my mugs!

Keep it up, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-20 2:59 pm   Permalink

I like them all, especially the Outrigger mug, very cool effect
"If anyone has suggestions about how I could have pulled this off better I would love to hear your advice."
If you were trying to mimic the logo effect, underglaze is probably your best bet. It doesn't spread at all so sharp lines and color separation stay that way. You can fire once with the underglaze and then coat with clear and fire again.

Besides the colors not moving, another benefit is that you can paint underglaze on greenware before it is bisque fired. The downside to that is you stand a greater chance of breaking fragile greenware the more you handle it. The disadvantage of underglaze is that they are opaque. They cover up textures and you don't get the cool color variations where the glaze breaks (thins) on the high spots and pools in the low spots

Good luck and keep at it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 4:32 pm   Permalink

Wendy - Thanks for the encouragement. I promise to keep it up...at least until I am out of rum.

MadDoy - Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot as you suggested. Right now my glazing time is limited to the potters workshop I am part of...a couple hours a week. I'll pick up some underglazes and try out what you were talking about.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to look. I will post what I have done to this point until I get caught up to date...Then I will post as I progress.

That said...here is mug #4. It's a small slab build barrel mug with relief carving. I've taken this one back into the workshop to try applying a light coat of clear black glaze in hopes that it will make the details stand out more than they do. I hope it doesn't ruin the mug.

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 4:43 pm   Permalink

Mug #5 - a work in progress. There was a problem with the first glazing. It has since been reglazed and is currently in for firing. The mug has two sides and is supposed to represent a Hukilau. Boy the camera picks up all the imperfections. I will keep on reglazing until it either looks good or the carving disappears.

About this time I started to realize that I have made a few...and I may be onto something if I slow down and try to make it look cleaner. Now that I have said that I am sure the next one I post will look all choppy too.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 6:00 pm   Permalink

I love your mugs! I'm particularly impressed with your first! I can't believe it's anyone's first mug! You have such great carving skills!! Seriously!

I've made a couple of mugs myself so I know how hard they are to make. If you saw them you'd feel WAY better about yours. They're very nice!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 6:22 pm   Permalink

Outrigger rocks it....Like that color

They are all kool

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2014-11-20 18:23 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 7:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement. Its allot of fun and I am enjoying learning from those of you on this board. Really cool that this available.

Have a few more to run through...most of them are not glazed. I am a little apprehensive about it given the amount of time I put into carving them...sure they aren't going to look good until they are...but I need to get my feet underneath me before I start ruining pieces...I just like the sculpting part more I guess.

As an instructional sidebar, I was asked to make a sphere out of two pinch pots during the sculptors workshop I am in. I ended up making a Tiki Ball...no other word for it really...not sure what I would ever do with it...so I used it as a test piece for a cool glaze that I got at Seattle Pottery.

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 7:45 pm   Permalink

Ok...Onto mug #6...
This one was supposed to be an old mariner, crusty old sea dog, barnacle collector guy...but my wife told me it look like a Mid Century Chess piece. I cried. I am a big man so it wasn't pretty.

I don't know if I'm in any rush to glaze it.

Moving on...

Tiki Mug #7 is one of my favorites of the "barrel mug" style...I chose the sketch from my sketchbook...Which reminds me...I could post a picture of my sketches every once in a while too right?...Anyways I gave it spots cause i was thinking that the face looked long, old and dry and should probably be augmented by a copious amount of sunspots.

I am in the process of glazing this one now.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-20 7:57 pm   Permalink

U on fire
More great stuff

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-21 2:12 pm   Permalink

Just what hang10tiki said...call the fire department! Wendy

RVICTOR
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-21 2:54 pm   Permalink

Hopefully some of you aren't getting sick of my posting so much so quickly. Just trying to get what I have been working on over the past several months out there. I will slow down as I'm actually averaging 1-2 things a week...so I should be caught up to date in a few more posts. I'm really new to this so there's really not like a huge amount of work to show. Since I am in a sculptors workshop, and there is really no end date to it, I assume I will be producing work for a while into the foreseeable future.

Mug #8 - I think this one is interesting. So I built another barrel mug...but I was getting a little bored of the same old idea of relief carving into a cylinder. I told myself that I would make 10 barrel mugs and then move onto something else. When I told my wife that I felt like I wanted to move on she suggested that I take it in a different direction. So I sat staring at this cylinder and it occurred to me that I should probably experiment with the shape...understanding that clay had plasticity.

So I started pushing it with tools and then with my hands. I started shaping it to make it look more like a figure. Then once I had the general shapes outlined, I let it dry and started carving. This was the end result.

The symbol on the back is supposed to represent strength.
I promise that I will start finish sanding at some point and try to make it look nicer.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation