[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Weekend trip to Papua New Guinea, sort of
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Weekend trip to Papua New Guinea, sort of
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 5:36 pm   Permalink

Yesterday morning I went to pick up my PNG Oratory table from the seller in Indiana. I was excited to see all his stuff, but I got much more than I expected. This post is very image heavy, but worth it.

I arrived at the house and the fellow was not feeling well, so we talked on the phone. He gave me the complete story of the piece. I then told him about Hukilau and after a bit he invited me his house to see his collection after I finished there.

On the lot are 3 sheds full of PNG artifacts. These are from the first shed which was mostly larger figures.

The second shed had more larger figures and shelves with masks, drums and all sorts of things.

The third shed had a small collection of masks, figures and more.

This jar was about 3 feet in diameter.

On the front porch were canoes and other items.

I looked around after loading the massive table in the car and picked a couple of other items quickly and went to his house.

We sat and talked about PNG culture and the significance of all these things. He told me of his 70 trips to Hawaii and his many trips to Polynesia over the last 40 years. It was incredible. Then we went to see his collection.

In the basement he has his choice items.

The instrument on the right was carved with stone tools, on the left, metal.

This is the inside of one of these woven head dresses. They are huge and you can see the intricate weaving involved. Yet they do not make baskets.

Various weapons

A stone carved club weapon. This is the sort of thing they carried when Captain Cook met them. It was incredibly heavy, but not iron wood. It was an unknown type of wood.

This is a later metal carved weapon.

These are highly prized tusks. They would put a pig in a cage with only its head sticking out and cut off the lower tusks. They would force feed the pig and the tusks would slowly grow in a circle. Only 1 in 10 pigs survived this process, so these tusks were extremely valuable.

These figures are pottery and not for ceremony. They are characatures for the people of the village.

More weapons and a costume.

This bowl is about 3 feet long and 18 inches deep.

More figures.

These are in his garage area.

This is a carvers chair.

A crocodile skin sheild.

More items in the garage.

These are the lintels of a house. Turn your head to the right and notice the piece in yellow on the left.

Here is the piece as it was put together for a museum. The one in the garage is perhaps the only one in existense from an actual initiation ceremony.

Outside his house, in the front house were these lodge poles.

In the back yard were these massive poles from a cheif's house. He said they were the finest carvings he had seen.

This figure is 8 feet long.

You can see the size.

These poles were from a building that collapsed into a lake in 1970. In 1990, they pulled these poles out of the water. They are iron wood. They held up incedibly. Quite heavy.

More in the garage.

A top finial from a house.

A winged figure.

This jar is in his home. Huge.

This mask is easily 4 feet tall on his wall.

More items from his home.

Carved fish from Pitcairn Island in the 30's and 40's.

A carved comb.

So we had a great talk and he is coming to Hukilau to sell his items next year, and perhaps give a talk if you guys are interested.

Here is the extra stuff I bought.

His hair is feathers.

A great mask.

And the new big man in the bar:

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2003-07-27 17:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swanky on 2003-07-27 18:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2006-04-19 14:31 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 5:44 pm   Permalink

HOLY SHITE! Are there any artifacts left in PNG?

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 5:47 pm   Permalink

Holy sh.....these belong in another Oceanic Art book or a museum.....sweet swirling onion rings Swanky! Jeez!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 6:29 pm   Permalink

I am at a loss for words, and that doesn't happen very often I can tell you.

agog,
emspace

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 6:33 pm   Permalink

This is 40 years of collecting.

He will be bringing this stuff to Hukilau 2004 to sell. Very reasonable prices.

Yes, some of his stuff is on loan to museums.

Are you guys up for a talk on PNG at Hukilau? Seriously?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hoahele Howard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-27 8:13 pm   Permalink

BRING IT ON!

View Profile of Hoahele Howard Send a personal message to Hoahele Howard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-27 9:34 pm   Permalink

Hopefully I'll make it there next year. I'm going to plan for it.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 7:58 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple of pictures showing these poles as they are in the Spirit House in New Guinea

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-01-31 16:35 ]

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 9:18 pm   Permalink

Excellent photographs. Well worth it, indeed!

The title of my Shag Print is the Septik River Cruise and I learned a few things about PNG trying to figure out where the Septik River is located and then seeing how easy it would be to take the cruise in real life.

PNG is a true living tiki cultural museum, where the indigenous peoples still participate in such dress and activities. The Highlands Festival is a great display of the culture. Most places on it are inaccessible except via river cruise.

However, one must land in the port city and then spend another night inland before taking the cruise, and again to leave, so traveling there requires some time.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 08:00 am   Permalink

Swanky, that was one excellent post. I scrolled through those pics with my jaw on the ground! 'Amazing' is what immediately comes to mind. You must have felt like Howard Carter when he first entered King Tut's tomb as you entered this guys house. Thanks for sharing the find!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 09:38 am   Permalink

Just incredible. Better get a bigger vendor room for Hukilau 2004. It would be great to have him talk about his exploring and collecting.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 10:21 am   Permalink

He also taught me the proper way for a man to dance. None of this hip swaying. No man would be caught dancing like that! It's more of a light stomping...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 3:25 pm   Permalink

luv da pics! good job! if you live close to dat spot...wat you waitin fo??? go get some a dat fo your bar! cannot get mo authentic den dat!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 9:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-27 17:44, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
HOLY SHITE! Are there any artifacts left in PNG?

HOLY SHITE! Are there any trees left in PNG?

That's insane!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-17 12:36 pm   Permalink

So what ever happened to Indiana Jones? Did he make it to Hukilau despite the hurricanes and did the big artifact sale take place?

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation