FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Kahiki, Columbus, OH (restaurant )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Kahiki, Columbus, OH (restaurant )
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-15 5:47 pm   Permalink

Has anyone taken video off the inside of the KAHIKI?

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 08:57 am   Permalink

The Kahiki now has an outlet store at 1100 Morrison Road, Gahanna, Ohio. They sell many of the food items that they still sell in grocery stores but also some resturant items.

They sell the standard Kahiki mug as well as the skull mug and the barrell tumbler. They also sell the volcano bowl and a slightly smaller bowl. There were napkins and tiki picks too.

I also saw Trader Vic's brand grenadine, orgeat and rock syrup.

Sweet!

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-15 17:47, Nokala Rocky wrote:
Has anyone taken video off the inside of the KAHIKI?

If you mean the Kahiki as it was, Sven says the closing the Kahiki party was shot and the interior was very well documented, but when the guy who did the video got home, his equipment was stolen, including the Kahiki footage, and it was lost forever...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theARTFINK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-18 11:57 am   Permalink

I was in the Kahiki many a nite before they closed and saw people documenting the interior. I asked Jim the bartender what they were up to and he said they were doing it so they could reproduce it exactly as it was when the new Kahiki was built.that will most likely never happen but someone has all of the photos/video they took. maybe if someone asked them at the outlet store they would know more about it.

View Profile of theARTFINK Send a personal message to theARTFINK  Email theARTFINK Goto the website of theARTFINK     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-18 5:56 pm   Permalink

Wow! I would hope someone has some footage! I keep kicking myself, I knew about the Kahiki about 20 years ago, and wanted to roadtrip to see it, but never did. Would love to have been inside enough times to really get to know the place.

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 6:10 pm   Permalink

read a pretty great article about the kahiki here

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-18 11:09 pm   Permalink

There are parts of the Kahiki burned into my memory forever, there are other details that I'd have no idea where in all those layers the piece was originally. The overall layout is easy though- it had such coherence, each 'room' was a logical progression of the one before.

As for the outlet store, I have a few pictures from our last trip through Ohio-
http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Kahiki-Outlet.

The store itself had a few Tikis, chairs, lamps, spears, sheilds, and other paraphanalia on the walls and hanging from the ceiling. When we went through, the artifacts were oddly sitting in a realitively sterile white room.

However the wonderful Wahine behind the counter explained their 'designer' (?) was going to come in and make the store less white and more Kahiki.

Another wonderful detail she shared- they were carrying a number of new Kahiki mugs, the headhunter/Moai, the skull mug, and a Kahiki Rum barrel. She mentioned that as the outlet store opened the most recent mug maker for the restaurant FOUND THEM and offered to make more mugs- can't verrify that, but the mugs each came with a Kahiki Stir stick- some of the older(?) dark green ones with the concave markings, and then other with the newer(?) lighter green stir paddles with the convex markings. There were no markings on the mugs to diffentiate these from those sold at the restaurant.

Finally, a picture of the entry fountain she took us into the glassed off room to see, she affectionately refered to him as "George", Kahiki folks may remember him from the entry hut with a flame burning atop his head. The 'designer' is alledgedly going to come in and make his habitat a bit less sterile- perhaps he'll get ferns at his base or something. In any case, he's in the foyer with other Tikis as part of the staircase with glass floats upon their heads.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 10:08 am   Permalink

I have a video that kahiki used to sell for $10 in the gift shop. it's about 5 min. long an is basically an ad for the kahiki but there is alot of great shots. michael tsao takes you on a guided tour. I had the foresight to buy up all their s/p shakers when I was there last, but should have bought more videos...anyway, I'm going to burn it to disc. perhaps I can get some of these out to fellow tc'ers.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 10:58 am   Permalink

Hey Johnny, your article is in the members only area, so the public can't see it.

So I moved your post content here for ya:

From: 'Society for Commercial Archaeology (SCA) Journal' - Spring 1998

larger page 1

larger page 2

larger page 3

larger page 4

larger page 5

larger page 6

[edited down the size of the larger images -Ahu]

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu on 2005-05-19 23:21 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-19 11:26 am   Permalink

Tipsy let me know if you could burn one for me, I want to see what I missed! :^(

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-19 10:58, KuKuAhu wrote:
Hey Johnny, your article is in the members only area, so the public can't see it.

ooo, silly me. :embarassed:

Quote:

On 2005-05-19 10:58, KuKuAhu wrote:
So I moved your post content here for ya:

mahalo ahu!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-19 3:14 pm   Permalink

Hey man, no problem at all. I'm just thrilled you went to the trouble to get it and post it with us in the first place.

Mahalo!

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 7:04 pm   Permalink

I just returned from the newly opened Kahiki Outlet Store. They have many decorations from the restaurant and they are selling various mugs. They are selling coconut, skull and coffee mugs. As well as the easy to find mug #1 (is is not marked mug #1 on the bottom). They also have available the volcano bowl as well as the drink bowl. They have leis, postcards, swizzle sticks and napkins. They also sell necklaces based on the tiki head seen on thier plates and logo.
The prices are very good so, don't buy from those overpriced guys on E-bay! See if the Kahiki will ship. They are at 1100 Morrison Road, Gahanna, OH 43230.

Here are some pics of the newly finished showroom and office lobby.

This is the exterior, easily seen from I-270:
http://www.clicshare.com/cs/lib/WKMQOSIEJDSWODFNEIIIHSTAJSJEGD/ZBOZOTHTTAQOUNEQAKSYFVVYTGECCO/AXMITCWVHPDRAQHGJMENVZNSHLDBSY.jpg

Here is the infamous fountain seen in the Mystery Drink Girl postcard:
http://www.clicshare.com/cs/lib/WKMQOSIEJDSWODFNEIIIHSTAJSJEGD/ZBOZOTHTTAQOUNEQAKSYFVVYTGECCO/VDTAJMFFLLPBNHQHYPBYBVBDHXFHNX.jpg

Here is a really cool mask:
http://www.clicshare.com/cs/lib/WKMQOSIEJDSWODFNEIIIHSTAJSJEGD/ZBOZOTHTTAQOUNEQAKSYFVVYTGECCO/FXBGIQORZQNBMOKEQMQLWLOGODRSUK.jpg

Here is a shield (I think:
http://www.clicshare.com/cs/lib/WKMQOSIEJDSWODFNEIIIHSTAJSJEGD/ZBOZOTHTTAQOUNEQAKSYFVVYTGECCO/PSOUIMKZOKRUGECQOQJVCSIGTVGUIQ.jpg

Here is a fountain in the corner of the store:
http://www.clicshare.com/cs/lib/WKMQOSIEJDSWODFNEIIIHSTAJSJEGD/ZBOZOTHTTAQOUNEQAKSYFVVYTGECCO/WJCDWIKOEOKMWEIKUJYSIHNDWLXJRK.jpg

Here are some really cool posts that lead to the offices:
http://www.clicshare.com/cs/lib/WKMQOSIEJDSWODFNEIIIHSTAJSJEGD/ZBOZOTHTTAQOUNEQAKSYFVVYTGECCO/ROLVFALVBRNIPGHXHUUWVQSRLTNPTQ.jpg

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 08:40 am   Permalink

I was rolling through the video footage I have of the Kahiki salvage and hastily threw together a 3 minute video of the salvage crew removing the Moai fireplace from a hole in the roof. You can see the video here:

http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archives/2006/05/video_and_photo.html

I also created a flickr photoset of the salvage operation, which is linked above as well.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-10 11:02 am   Permalink

Great footage!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation