FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Kahiki, Columbus, OH (restaurant )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Kahiki, Columbus, OH (restaurant )
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-13 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-26 11:48, Swanky wrote:
Interesting. I think Sven used this in preparing to write the BoT...

Are all those images vintage or newer?

The BW photos would have you think old, but I say new as the pine trees outside are big in
older photos they are small or not there at all.

I did make a video of the last days of the Kahiki, losts of indoor shots and outdoor plus
shots of the tear down of the Kahiki.
I gave it to some people but can't find my copy at this time.
Some of this vid is on the dvd of tiki.
Would bet that it has been copied and copied for when I would offer to send it to some
they did not say anything as if they already had it.

Sven you asked about photos of the upstairs area at the Kahiki this is one here.
That window looked out over the dinning area to the right of the fireplace as you
looked at the fireplace from below.
Don't know if the small fireplace in the photo shown here worked or just for show.
[/quote]

Great post!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHamster

Posted: 2014-01-08 12:58 pm   Permalink

Re-posted from the general forum, here's a video I recently uploaded of a visit to Kahiki in summer 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGg9NAEczk&feature=youtu.be

View Profile of TikiHamster Send a personal message to TikiHamster      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-27 3:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks for these great images! I remember when I was in my 30's hearing or reading about the Kahiki and wanting to go to Ohio to check the place out. This was long before I had become cognizant of the Tiki culture. I had an aunt and uncle in Canton, and wanted to call them to see if they had gone and to plan a visit. I never followed up...

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 4:37 pm   Permalink

Legendary fountain from the Kahiki restaurant arrives at new home by The Grass Skirt Tiki Room!

The Kahiki Lives On! At least parts of it do....

Read more about it here:

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2014/06/12/george-arrives-at-grass-skirt-tiki-room

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 05:22 am   Permalink

Arthur Godfrey, mid-century radio and television personality, describes what was obviously the Kahiki in a “Celebrity Cookbook” newspaper column…

The St Petersburg Evening Independent July 20, 1966

There is apparently a lot more to Arthur Godfrey’s fascination with the Kahiki, hinted at by tikiskip’s post…
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18136&forum=5&vpost=213802

And here is a bigbrotiki followup, for completeness…
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18136&forum=5&vpost=213985

Only a short while more and the rest of the story will be revealed in Jeff Central’s book of the Kahiki.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palm Pilot

Posted: 28 days ago; 3:48 pm   Permalink

Just learned from a friend on FB that there is a guy who "claims" to have a set of original building plans for the Kahiki...is this true? Has anyone approached him about what he plans to do with them?

View Profile of Palm Pilot Send a personal message to Palm Pilot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 7:16 pm   Permalink

Yes, it is true.

& he'll do with them what he deems appropriate. Since they are his & all.

Interesting first post, "Palm Pilot"

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 28 days ago; 10:07 pm   Permalink

Cryptic??

I know a guy who has two tickets to paradise, but you got to leave tonight.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2014-08-01 22:14 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palm Pilot

Posted: 27 days ago; 5:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-01 19:16, croe67 wrote:
Yes, it is true.

& he'll do with them what he deems appropriate. Since they are his & all.

Interesting first post, "Palm Pilot"

Thanks....

View Profile of Palm Pilot Send a personal message to Palm Pilot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation