FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The drinks of Tiki Ti, Los Angeles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The drinks of Tiki Ti, Los Angeles
Jeje
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-02 10:36 am   Permalink

The Virgin Island Kula is also a Tiki Ti drink. The recipe is published in Potions OTC. This one is really tasty.

View Profile of Jeje Send a personal message to Jeje      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-04 10:51 am   Permalink

Does anyone know what the "kula" in the name comes from and what it means? there´s a couple different "kula" drinks out there and i`m curious what the name means and what makes a drink a "kula"?

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeje
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-04 12:15 pm   Permalink

Off topic, but I tried the Virgin Island Kula again. This time with a couple of "mistakes". I hoped it would turn into a Ray´s Mistake (a drink that I have never tried...). Unfortunately the mistake became a bit too sweet and the passion fruit got a bit too much. Anyway, here it is. My "mistake":

1 oz passion fruit syrup
1 oz Beefeater gin
1 oz Havana Club 3 Anos
1 oz lime juice
1 oz orange juice
0,5 oz vanilla syrup
0,5 oz orgeat
0,5 oz soda water
float 0,5 oz dark jamaican rum

[ This Message was edited by: Jeje 2015-07-04 12:16 ]

View Profile of Jeje Send a personal message to Jeje      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-04 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-04 10:51, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:
Does anyone know what the "kula" in the name comes from and what it means? there´s a couple different "kula" drinks out there and i`m curious what the name means and what makes a drink a "kula"?

I believe it's just a spin on the word "cooler," indicating a cold refreshing drink. Like Cactus Cooler soda, or Kactus Kula at the Ti.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-04 2:18 pm   Permalink

I tried out the Virgin Islands Kula - not for me, too sweet, not enough kick.

I had the Sumutra Kula (which I was inspired to make by Tiare's post)

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jah Jim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-07-25 12:24 pm   Permalink

Four Jim's Specials at the Tiki Ti.

View Profile of Jah Jim Send a personal message to Jah Jim  Email Jah Jim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-20 4:10 pm   Permalink

At long last I'm heading back to my favorite place - Tiki Ti! - this Wed. Will have a Ray's Mistake but want to try something new. These were some ideas.
Can anyone shed any light on them?
*Space Pilot
*Scorpion
*Tiki Gold
*Hong Kong
*Top Secret
*Great White Shark

Drinks I've had there already: Bayanihan, Rum Barrel, Sumatra Kula, Painkiller, Ray's Mistake, 151 Swizzle.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-22 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-20 16:10, wupput wrote:
At long last I'm heading back to my favorite place - Tiki Ti! - this Wed. Will have a Ray's Mistake but want to try something new. These were some ideas.
*Space Pilot
*Scorpion
*Tiki Gold
*Hong Kong
*Top Secret
*Great White Shark

Drinks I've had there already: Bayanihan, Rum Barrel, Sumatra Kula, Painkiller, Ray's Mistake, 151 Swizzle.

I adore the Hong Kong, strong flavors of vanilla and passionfruit but with a nice tartness and lime oil-y finish from the fresh lime wedges. The Tiki Gold is like a bigger Beachcomber's Gold, also very nice.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-22 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-20 16:10, wupput wrote:
*Space Pilot

I was pretty disappointed in Space Pilot, pretty much just rum and lime-forward, nothing too memorable.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-23 5:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pat - Hong Kong will be #2 on my list.

Thanks also for the advice on skipping the Space Pilot.
Anybody tried any of these?

Nui Nui - I've made a variation of this at home.
Pearl Diver
Vicious Virgin
Penang
Montego Bay
Tiki Ti Special
Songakura

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-23 7:01 pm   Permalink

Responding to myself - I seemed to remember making a Montego Bay at home. Looked it up, of course, its in Intoxica! I've tried all the drinks with pimento dram since I finally got a bottle of St. Elizabeths.

Pearl Diver is in Sippin' Safari.

Vicious Virgin is in Remixed.

Penang is probably related to Penang Afrididi, also from Sippin' Safari.

That leaves Sonakura and Tiki Ti Special as the real unknowns from my list. But Sonakura rings a bell from somewhere.

Any other stealth picks I'm overlooking? Has to be rum based and something I can't easily mix at home.

Also still thinking about that Great White Shark.

Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-01-24 05:33 am   Permalink

I seem to remember the Rum Barrel is really good there. But that may have been after 4 or five happy hour Rays Mistakes.

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-24 11:10 am   Permalink

Their Nui Nui is fine. I'd skip the Pearl Diver because I'm relatively sure they aren't making a pearl batter so not sure on how authentic it tastes. I had one a few years back and can't give a reliable review.

PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-24 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-24 11:10, kkocka wrote:
Their Nui Nui is fine. I'd skip the Pearl Diver because I'm relatively sure they aren't making a pearl batter so not sure on how authentic it tastes. I had one a few years back and can't give a reliable review.

My recollection of TT's Pearl Diver is that it was made with orgeat. I don't remember hating it but I didn't like it enough to be lured away from my Fog Cutters and Hong Kongs.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-01-24 1:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-23 19:01, wupput wrote:
Responding to myself - I seemed to remember making a Montego Bay at home. Looked it up, of course, its in Intoxica! I've tried all the drinks with pimento dram since I finally got a bottle of St. Elizabeths.

Pearl Diver is in Sippin' Safari.

Vicious Virgin is in Remixed.

Penang is probably related to Penang Afrididi, also from Sippin' Safari.

That leaves Sonakura and Tiki Ti Special as the real unknowns from my list. But Sonakura rings a bell from somewhere.

Any other stealth picks I'm overlooking? Has to be rum based and something I can't easily mix at home.

Also still thinking about that Great White Shark.

Could the Sonakura be a take on the Sunakora? (Also a Don's drink that Beachbum Berry has decoded [at work so don't have access to my books, but it is in the TotalTiki app at least])

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation