[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The drinks of Tiki Ti, Los Angeles
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The drinks of Tiki Ti, Los Angeles
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-18 1:18 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Ti is a tiki bar opened in the 60s in Los Angeles.

I've noticed there aren't a lot of Tiki-Ti recipes circulating about (probably because they keep them secret) but the some of ones I've tried are mighty good drinks...

I have:

Puka Punch (Intoxica)
Cuba Kula (from Sippin Safari)
Jims Special (from Sippin Safari)

So I thought I'd cast the net TC-ward.

Has anyone got any published recipes from the Tiki-Ti?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-18 5:47 pm   Permalink

No, they keep them hidden and haven't released any to the public as far as I know. I doubt that they will ever write a book, the place is packed everyday and they make plenty of $$$. Jim's Special was released because it was a recipe by Jah Jim and not one of the family members. I am not sure if those other 2 recipes that you have are their actual recipes or not.

I remember talking with them about it. They basically told me that the Jim's Special is the only one they allowed to get out. You will just have to make it across the pond to experience these amazing cocktails.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-21 8:15 pm   Permalink

The quest for the Ray's Mistake recipe alone could be the Mother of all TC threads. Long may they pour!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-24 02:14 am   Permalink

Here is a picture of an older menu. They are near 100 menu items. I wish I could make drinks as good as Tiki Ti does.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-09 7:01 pm   Permalink

I'm going to Tiki Ti tomorrow. This will be my first time back since I started educating myself about and mixing tiki drinks.

What to get?! I am definitely planning on starting with a Ray's Mistake. But after that, considering my options. I've had their Mai Tai, Bayahanian, and Penang before, so skipping those. But so many choices! Bonnie and Clyde looks intriguing, as does Top Secret and Stealth. Anything really remarkable I need to try? Any and all tips welcome.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

Some of my favorites are:

151 Rum Swizzle
Puka Puka
Burnt Hawaiian
Ooga Booga
Dr Funk (although not for everyone)

Should give you a start on some suggestions.

Oh yeah, and enjoy! Cheers.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2015-06-09 19:15 ]

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-09 7:26 pm   Permalink

Ray's Mistake
Ooga Booga
Blood & Sand
Jim's Special

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-09 8:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. Is the Puka Puka similar at all to a Puka Punch or is it a completely different drink?

I'm definitely tempted to get the 151 Swizzle since it is one I make at home regularly and I'd like to see how they compare. But I'm also intrigued by things I've never seen before, like the Sumatra Kula (green drinks? How degenerate!) and the Bonnie and Clyde. I had a Dr. Funk off menu at Trader Sam's. I might have to avoid the really large drinks, or super strong drinks like Jim's Special if I want to have more than 2....

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-09 11:08 pm   Permalink

I recommend skipping anything you can make yourself via Jeff Berry (Puka Punch, 151 Swizzle - though theirs is good, and Jim's Special). Try the stuff you definitely wouldn't make at home or can't make due to ingredients. My note to myself from the Blood & Sand was "good for the show but i'll definitely pass next time."

I try to order stuff that is complex and flavorful as usually it means lots of ingredients that are a pain to make at home.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-10 08:23 am   Permalink

If you can't decide, spin the wheel.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-10 09:59 am   Permalink

Great advice kkocka.

The Burnt Hawaiian sounded complex and delicious but I don't see it on their menu. Can you order it off-menu?

Right now the plan is:
1. Ray's Mistake - it's only $5 on Wed!
2. Sumatra Kula (I can't make green drinks at home!)
3. ???? Possibly Rum Barrel, Caribbean Limbo, Firefly?

Ordering drinks at a bar never used to be this hard!

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-10 11:03 am   Permalink

stay on mission Wupput-- your target for TikiCentral is to alternate drinking the Anting Anting and the Ray's Mistake, until your palate discerns the ingredients so we can finally replicate them at home...

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2015-06-10 11:08 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-10 11:04 am   Permalink

The Dr Funk is going to be better than anywhere I have ever tried one. The Puka Puka is a lot different than the Puka Punch. Puka Punch is a new menu item. Sad if the Burnt Hawaiian is not on the menu anymore, but it is the last in the "mixed liquors" section on the menu I posted. It is an $18 drink that has like 30 ingredients. Crazy to watch Mike Sr mix it up for you.

I agree with Keith that the Blood & Sand is not something you would want to get if you don't make it to Tiki Ti often. It is a drink to have if you have had the worst day of your life, or if you want one drink before you go to sleep. I think it is the equivilant of taking 4 shots of tequila in a short amount of time. I have had it once and I was drunk half way through. It is a good drink, don't get me wrong, just way over the top.

All the drinks at Tiki Ti are great. You can't go wrong. Just grab whatever looks good at the time!

Cheers!

A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-10 1:02 pm   Permalink

Try the most popular drink at the Tiki before the Ray's Mistake was invented...the Fog Cutter!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Corie

Posted: 2015-06-25 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-10 09:59, wupput wrote:
The Burnt Hawaiian sounded complex and delicious but I don't see it on their menu. Can you order it off-menu?

I'm sure you can. This is what I had when I spun the wheel and it wasn't on the menu at the time. It was tasty!

View Profile of Corie Send a personal message to Corie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation