[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki in awe of the Night Blooming Cerius
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
in awe of the Night Blooming Cerius
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 3:19 pm   Permalink

Last Saturday night we were treated to a rare event- our night blooming cerius sprouted it's yearly pod and morphed into a gorgeous flower. This exotic bloom begins its life as the offspring of a plain, flat cactus leaf and slowly turns into a spectacular flower which lives for ONE NIGHT ONLY and fills the area with an intoxicating fragrance unlike any other. To honor its short, beautiful life, we break out the tiki torches, ceremonial mugs, etc. and invite friends to watch and imbibe. The next morning is very much like the day after Hukilau- the bloom is dead, the scent is gone, but the memory lasts.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 3:59 pm   Permalink

Splendid.

I want one.

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 6:05 pm   Permalink

I used to have a few of those. They are spectacular. They bloom at night so the bats will pollinate.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing. Now I want one too! How beautiful.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 10:13 pm   Permalink

My parents' bloomed last Wednesday.

No adjective is to exaggerated to describe the beautiful, large blossoms, the very strong enchanting fragrance or the unusual character of a flower that blooms only at night.

Excellent tiki celebration - I love the "wild and natural" aspect of the tiki fest.

Is it true about the bats?

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2003-07-28 22:16 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 10:17 pm   Permalink

Very cool!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 7:24 pm   Permalink

Kava King,

How are the blossoms this season?

My parents are having a bumper crop - The blooms are in the 4th rotation this summer!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 09:27 am   Permalink

We're still (patiently) waiting for them to form. We've had a lot more rain in Georgia this summer than usual which probably has some effect. It's always worth the wait and I love watching the S-L-O-W progress!

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 7:23 pm   Permalink

Hi, I just sent this post to my Mom. She has 2 big plants, one grown from a cutting. One was in full shade and had lots of blooms like 10. the other was in partial sun and wouldn't sprout a bud. They moved it and out come bunches of buds!
The buds remind me of "Little Shop of Horrors" I make them say "Feeeed me Seymore"
She loves the pictures of the open flowers.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 1:40 pm   Permalink

Beautiful!!!

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-15 2:53 pm   Permalink

Mine finally bloomed!

Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-15 11:29 pm   Permalink

I've had a night blooming cerius for 20 years that has NEVER bloomed. It's highly annoying. Any tips on getting it to?

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-16 12:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-15 23:29, Kona Chris wrote:
I've had a night blooming cerius for 20 years that has NEVER bloomed. It's highly annoying. Any tips on getting it to?

Chris

sue it. kill it. read it a bad dream inducing bedtime story. tell it the part in the bible; man has dominion over nature!
that IS annoying. Not just, but yes; Highly!! annoying! a flower that should bring peace, tranquility, calm, equanimity and beauty into one's life creates a reaction as that!
Legal recourse. yes. Pain and suffering. Intentional infliction of emotional distress... I would sue nature. yea.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-16 01:35 am   Permalink

Thats cool. I don't have a green thumb, but I like that...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-16 11:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-15 23:29, Kona Chris wrote:

Chris

After not watering for months, I have thourougly soaked it 2x week for approx 3 months. I also gave it Hawaiian plant food (with a high first number).

You may also want to improve the topsoil, or plant it if it is in a pot.

Make sure it gets sun.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation