FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tikiskip: Guide to tiki bar lights, Identification of styles, ect...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tikiskip: Guide to tiki bar lights, Identification of styles, ect...
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-10 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-10 10:45, bigbrotiki wrote:
That fiberglass Tiki was available as full figure Tiki, here it is in a Sea & Jungle catalog, top row, middle:

(.....)
I don't recall ever seeing just the head of it, as a lamp - what a cool idea!

It would be so cool to have the full wooden Tiki!
Here's a page from a Sea & Jungle catalog I found on the Sea & Jungle topic on here that shows the wall lamp version!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-10 9:31 pm   Permalink

The full-sized Tiki was a fiberglass Tiki, too, so they just used the head for the lamp. Same thing for that tongue-Tiki mask next to it in the catalog: That also came in full size, in fiberglass - you can see it in the top page, top row, on the left.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-03-11 10:57 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-11 04:13 am   Permalink

Yes there is a full-size one at Hala Kahiki, right?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-11 07:31 am   Permalink

Love the new pics Dixon!

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-03-14 15:44 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-03-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

Here are seven more of the 'new' lamps put up here at The Alibi!

Still got a few more to put up!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-03-21 2:52 pm   Permalink

We were able to get the rest of the lamps cleaned, fixed, and hung! All 80 are now lit and looking amazing!

We have three of these drum style lamps.

This shell one we had to do some extensive repair work on, replacing many of the shells, then staining them to match the nicotine stained older shells!

Fez Moai
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 12:25 am   Permalink

Those lamps are astounding! I would be drinking my Zombie looking up at the ceiling and not at anyone else. I still have dozens of lamps from the Bahooka and they always make me smile when I look at them.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-18 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-08 07:44, Dustycajun wrote:
I stopped by the Alibi on my trip to Portland last November. Amazing environs and lamps, the drinks were not so good but still well worth the visit.

Was at Trader Sam's yesterday and took this photo of the custom lamps on display.

That first one reminds me of the lamp that A-Frame made for me from an old rattan foot stool I found at a thrift store. Thanks Anders!

DC

I'm a little late to the game but you're welcome DC!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-25 7:49 pm   Permalink

The Fish trap light leads us into our next style of tiki bar light.
This too is a fish trap of sorts as it is used to catch small fish by
standing in the water and plunging the basket quickly down over the fish and trapping it.
Then you can reach into the hole in the top to get your fish.

Have also seen where this basket is used at open markets as a coop for small birds or chickens that are for sale.

Many of the lights from old tiki bars were something else before they were lights for a tiki bar, like say a waste basket, or fish trap, and even rattan Ottoman or other bamboo type things.
You can see the post right before this one has a light made from a rattan ottoman.

In Dixons photos of The Alibi they have this Fish trap/bird coop style light in that place as well.
You can see this light in Sven's house too.

I was able to find some of these on eBay right around the time of the bird flu outbreak, maybe they had to get rid of them.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-08-26 07:38 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-25 7:51 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-08-26 07:40 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-27 06:29 am   Permalink

Here is a post by Erich with info on this light style....
Thanks Erich!

Quote:

On 2016-03-03 16:21, ErichTroudt wrote:
Dixon,

Here's some info I came up with on a few of your lamps. Hope it helps. I got out the old Jungle and Sea imports pamphlet with the names and code numbers of the lamps they sold.

The one in the catalog had flowers around the outside, but very similar otherwise. "Shell fish trap hanging light 143L"

Erich

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-08-27 06:30 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-27 06:34 am   Permalink

Look what they did here on this light at the Alibi.
They took the fish trap flipped it upside-down and threw on a hat.
That is a new one on me.
Cool light.
Quote:

On 2016-03-04 13:54, DixonAlibi wrote:

-Dixon

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-08-27 06:38 ]

DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-08-27 1:11 pm   Permalink

Here's better photos of all five of our small trap style lights!
The one in the bottom left corner has a design of some kind etched into it. Not sure if that was original or not.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-28 09:00 am   Permalink

Great pics of that style of light! thanks!

I would bet that they make more of this coop fish trap rattan thing for décor or to be sold as souvenirs than they do to actually use to fish with.

Got one of these fish traps from eBay long ago and the measurements were in centimeters
well it came and that thing was like 4 inches tall could not catch a minnow in that thing.
Guess that was a trap made to catch suckers like me on eBay, It worked.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-08 05:38 am   Permalink

Here are a few other styles of the Fish trap light, would think this is what most people think of when you say Fish trap light.

But the idea is the same it used to be used to catch fish and now it's made into a light.
Or a fake one is made to represent a fish trap made to be a light.

Fish trap light from Trader Vic's...

Fish trap light made by Tikiskip...

Real fish trap....

This may be a decorator piece...

This also may not be a real fish trap...

Other lights might have the fish trap style or a modification that gives a nod to the fish trap light.
Like this light at Oceanic Arts...

Here is a light by Monkeyman here on TC this has a fish trap look but is sometimes called a drum style light....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation