FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tikiskip: Guide to tiki bar lights, Identification of styles, ect...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Tikiskip: Guide to tiki bar lights, Identification of styles, ect...
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-08 08:28 am   Permalink

Now on to the table lamp....
Most of the time you find parts for these lights if they are real old ones like this Kahiki table lamp base made by Mrs. Sapp for the Kahiki.
This is the first table lamp style for the Kahiki 1961.

Image from ebay and is Trader Jeff's Photo/collection.

Here is the shade that went to that lamp.
I found this at one of the unknown Kahiki sales after it closed.
The two lamp shades were put together as a hanging lamp.
Thank goodness they did this as these have to be the only two original shades for this light out there and making this hanging lamp saved them. (found two)

Here is the shades together as I found them...
In fact I bought all of these lights.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-08 15:35 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-08 08:58 am   Permalink

I am constantly amazed at the "lost" artifacts your persistence keeps turning up, Skip. You, sir, are an inspiration to us all!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-08 3:26 pm   Permalink

Thank you Prikli Pear but really I get lots o info living in Kahiki land USA.
BUT in many cases I found what I found because I asked questions others did not,
And I asked if I could buy things that were not yet for sale.
When they said you can come and look I brought cash and was ready to buy and every time they sold what they told me was not yet for sale on that day.

Got good deals on some things and paid too much for others.

On that Kahiki lamp base up top there Jeff beat me to it by like five minutes, damn! He met me at the center of the show holding that base!
Two thumbs up Jeff, HA!

I would love to be able to put shade and base back together again as I don’t think there is a lamp like this put together and working.

On the people, I talk to lots of people, having parents in the restaurant biz I got to talk to many as they came in every day.

Some of the things I post are not that important but still interesting tidbits I think.

Lastly this thread has had MANY other people add some awesome lights to it and this is what makes TC great together we can map out and find much of what the old tiki joints were all about one post at a time.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-08 3:53 pm   Permalink

This is the second style of table light at the Kahiki.
I got two of them at the public auction at the Kahiki.

On these lights it is the shade that is hard to find, and if you do find one it's kinda beat up, lots O Soy Sauce stains.

I made the first shades pictured here even though I had original shades that were in ok shape, Having the highest bid gives you first choice of what lights you want and how many.
First bid gets you the best lights for sure, I shoulda bought them all.

Kahiki table lamp copies made by me Tikiskip...

This is an original shade.

This is an original lamp base.

tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-08 4:11 pm   Permalink

I always enjoy seeing more about lamps Skip! Question the Kahiki lamps were they always electric or were they oil or candle lit at one time and modernized at some point?

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-08 4:14 pm   Permalink

I must have been writing this when you asked tikicoma, as you may know the Trader Vic's table lamps had a candle holder thing in it.
Don't know if they were made electric ever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few more points about the Kahiki table lamps then I will move onto some other lights.
I only made like 8 or so lamp shades and like four of the table lamps.

The second table lamp was painted a color made just for the Kahiki by Majestic paint “Kahiki Brown”
The first one was unfinished clay.
They would have felt on the bottom at least the ones I found.

The first and even second table lamps at the Kahiki were first outfitted with coconut scented oil lamps as told to me by Herman Leitwein.
I think the oldest lamp base was only lit with the oil lamp but this is a guess.

Now don't get confused, they were the same bases they just retrofitted the old base with electric.

Imagine going to the Kahiki with the low lights, soft tropical music playing and the smell of coconut oil in the air, only to get smacked in the face with freezing rain when you leave.

See the old oil can here fitted with electric...

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-08 17:22 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-09 07:57 am   Permalink

Yes, I'm very impressed by the contributors to this thread. But you're like the Dude's rug--you tie it all together!

Actually, I'm kinda envious that you have a Kahiki to mourn and eulogize. Apart from long-forgotten transient Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber locations in Houston and Dallas, Texas really is a historical wasteland for tiki. One has to dig pretty deeply to find home-grown examples of the tiki phenomenon--Steak Island in Austin and Lahala House in Corpus--and none of them lasted long enough to leave a legacy. The fact that basements are a rarity here didn't help matters much, either.

Keep posting your Kahiki reclamation projects. I'll live vicariously through them!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-09 08:28 am   Permalink

Well the Lagoon of Mystery will have to do then.
Keep working on your home bar and people will one day collect stuff from it Bill Sapp had no idea that people were so into the Kahiki collecting and history.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-09 08:54 am   Permalink

Here are some other types of table style lights.

Trader Vic's
These had a candle holder in them.
(there are at least two styles of this lamp that are a bit different)

Here are the lamps with the shade I made for the Kahiki lamps.
I don't know if the Trader Vic's lamps ever had their own shades.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-09 08:55 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-09 12:19 pm   Permalink

The coconut shell lamp.
These were the souvenirs you would buy way back when in Hawaii.
Once saw a postcard with many of these on a table on the side of the road in Hawaii for sale, am kinda surprised they are not more popular in the new tiki bars I see.

This one has starfish feet very cool, also has a light in the bottom and on the top but then I added the bottom light.

Now this one is a starfish lamp as it is made of starfish.
These two are mine and I think I have like four of these lights now.
They sell for between $20.00 and up, most in the $80.00 dollar range and always need to be rewired.

Here is s shell lamp.
These could also be called TV lamps as they were said to help your eyes if watching TV in the dark.
These too were sold as souvenirs way back when in Hawaii.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation