[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food velvet falernum=mistake
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
velvet falernum=mistake
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 10:13 pm   Permalink

After all this time I finally get the damn stuff and what a joke!.I have had the "real stuff" straight up at the tiki ti from mikes stash, and this ain't even close.Now it may not have been made for a mixer to keep tropical drinks tasting correct, but damn I am bummed.Now for the good news which many already know.In a taste test, fee bros blows the doors off davinci.Do what ever it takes to get fees bros,it rocks!.Fact, not opinion.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 10:51 pm   Permalink

Do you mean the "John D. Taylors" Velvet Falernum?

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-28 22:57 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 11:51 pm   Permalink

TWT, Do they have Fee's Bros at Beverage Warehouse in Culver City?

Did you find the velvet where I thought I saw it?

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-07-28 23:52 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 12:16 am   Permalink

TW,
I did some research.
Your right!
The DaVinci Gourmet syrup is crap.
It's the John D. Taylors Velvet Falernum that you want.
The Real McCoy Baby!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 12:19 am   Permalink

They have Fee Brothers at the address listed below. They also have other premiun liquors as well. They claim to have one of the largest selections of single malt scotch in the world. Definetly a cool place.

Wine & Liquor Depot
16938 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone: (818) 996-1414

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 12:26 am   Permalink

Bunga, you crazy kid you!.please let me explain it again.For mixing tiki/tropical drinks 1)fee bros is GREAT. 2)davinci is ok. 3)velvet falernum sucks!. Are we clear?.This velvet stuff was made for other things than being a proper falernum.I am sure we could make it work if we worked "around "it,but it does not do the trick in a proper recipe.It tastes very weak and has no zing!.And at $12.00 a bottle, FOR-GIT-IT!.Atomic, buy the fees and don't bother with the V.F., but yes they had both.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 01:01 am   Permalink

What was your intial applicationgoal with Falernum, an additive or streight(yes,some articles have recommended it on he rocks)(if so what drink name)?
We never stop learning.

http://www.divefree.net/tours/foursquare/rum7.htm

http://www.drinkboy.com/LiquorCabinet/Syrups/Falernum.html

http://www.kingcocktail.com/Falenm-release.htm

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-29 01:32 ]

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 01:22 am   Permalink

DUDE, WHERE'S MY DRINK? :

Coconut Rum, Falernum syrup, pineapple juice filler, sour mix, and 151 Rum.

twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 1:15 pm   Permalink

when I speak of recipes, I speak of the gathered scrolls of trader vic(1970ish revised)and Jeff Barry They did alot of homework to dig up the real deal, and if followed properly, great drinks follow.The websites are great and all, but I want to taste the original taste of the good old days.

[ This Message was edited by: twowheelin'tiki on 2003-07-29 22:53 ]

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 11:56 pm   Permalink

Well , that's what I have been sayin all along(your other posts).
John D. Taylors Velvet Falernum
is the Original Formula by John D. Taylors created in 1890 on the island of Barbados.
Are you positive it was this brand and Tiki Ti? I have seen a replica\rip-off of it.

twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 9:52 pm   Permalink

the stuff that tiki-ti used is not anything currently available.they have been using davinci ,but dont care for it.When they get back from vacation, I will take them a bottle of fee bros and dazzle mike with the flavor.When I sent them a post about v.f., he said it sounded like a premixed drink.I am glad I only got one bottle of the stuff.

Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 03:30 am   Permalink

Personally I'm quite sure that John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum is the real deal without even having tried it...

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-07-31 1:14 pm   Permalink

John D. Taylor's is most definitely the real deal. I use a bottle of Taylor's White Falernum in my bar that was brought back by a friend from Barbados. It's very light and good. My understanding is that the Velvet variety is darker with more spice and is used more at the holidays in the islands.

But it's the real deal, and I guarantee that many bars have used Taylor for years.

[ This Message was edited by: martiki6 on 2003-07-31 15:50 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 7:00 pm   Permalink

Some of john taylors stuff may in fact be the "real deal", but "velvet" falernum is a liqueur off-shoot that should not be confused with the "mixer" falernum.

Kukoae
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-23 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2003-07-31 19:00, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
Some of john taylors stuff may in fact be the "real deal", but "velvet" falernum is a liqueur off-shoot that should not be confused with the "mixer" falernum.

I think there's some confusion about exactly what falernum is supposed to be. From the sources I've read (admittedly far from conclusive), it is ALCOHOLIC, or at least, it originally was.

Now the key thing here of interest is whether it was that alcoholic falernum that was used to concoct the recipes in question, or the Sazerac branded flavour profile.

It's tempting to ignore the historical context of a drink's ingredients, and I'm eternally grateful to The Royal Beachbum's recognition and accomodation of this very important detail. It's like this, people:

Let's pretend there was a strange trend in vodkas back in the 1930s-1970s that was sweet and bitter. Lots of drinks were created which specified this "unauthentic" vodka. We fast-forward to the 1990s, and now have ready access to the "Real Deal" of vodkas straight from Mother Russia and other countries.

If we cling to "primacy" (seeking the most authentic/original source), we'd be ALTERING OUR DRINKS, wouldn't we? The mixologists' recipes are assuming a given combination of tastes.

The trick is to realise which falernum was most likely used in the recipes, and to find the best match.

Was JD Taylor's Falernum commonly used/available in the 20th century, or did Sazerac's rule the bar?

=Kukoae=

View Profile of Kukoae Send a personal message to Kukoae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation