FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » velvet falernum=mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
velvet falernum=mistake
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 1:36 pm   Permalink

If you'll continue to search the archives, which obviously you did to dredge up this one, you'll find a taste test of the 4 available Falernums by some well-traveled palates.

After tasting we mixed test pilots with the Sazeracs.

Also - there is a topic which has a decent recipe for creating your own which approximates a combination of the Sazeracs and the Velvet.

As always, it's a matter of personal taste and my taste says the Fee Bros. is too tart. Perhaps if I cut back on lime juice it would balance out better.

The Sazeracs is tart as well, but a full flavor. Hail Kava King for his generous gift of such to me, his humble servant.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kukoae
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-24 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-05-24 13:36, pablus wrote:
As always, it's a matter of personal taste and my taste says the Fee Bros. is too tart. Perhaps if I cut back on lime juice it would balance out better.

The Sazeracs is tart as well, but a full flavor. Hail Kava King for his generous gift of such to me, his humble servant.

Excellent. I think I snagged a peek there, and there was some mention that a 50/50 mixture of the Fees + JD Taylor came pretty close to the Sazerac Falernum.

Would you say that's reasonable?

=Kukoae=

View Profile of Kukoae Send a personal message to Kukoae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 9:50 pm   Permalink

too funny that this thread is still going. I was just bitching about how foul this "velvet" crap is yesterday!.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-02 11:57 am   Permalink

And it's back, again. But you can thank Humuhumu for mentioning this (and other) previous posts in the Slack Key post. Well, at least that's what got me to poking around.

And then I came across this posting which refers to a recipe from the eGullet board. The fine thing about this post is that you'll be able to learn from other's "mistakes" as the basic ingredients for homemade Falernum seem to be quite easy. Be sure to read the comments for additional information.
Slakethirst Blog

Paul of The Cocktail Chronicles (also the Paul in the comments) attempt at Falernum:
Cocktail Chronicles Blog

Original eGullet recipe:
eGullet Falernum Recipe

I have not attempted to acquire any John D. Taylor’s “Velvet Falernum”, but I do plan on seeing if my local liquor store can order it. From there I think I’ll attempt to make my own adding or subtracting items or flavors that I feel either enhance or detract from my homemade product.

Good reading all, Rich

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 4:34 pm   Permalink

Yeah, that's where I got the original attempt at creating a homemade bottle of Falernum.

However, I have a recipe here that I posted previously that is much closer to the Sazeracs.
-----------------------

Having the John Taylor's around helped make this one much better.
I'll get even better on the next batch:

zest from 3 limes
juice from small lime
24 cloves
1/8 TSP almond extract
1 cup white rum

Put all of these into a container and cover and let sit for 24 hours.

Strain out the mixture and add 2 3/4 cups of Rock Candy Syrup.

Add 3 level Tablespoons of cloves and whip into mixture.

Let sit 12 hours.
Strain and enjoy.

-------------------------------

STILL not as clove-y as the Taylor's.
But closer.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-03 05:34 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info! I'm going to give your recipe a go before the others.

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-04 09:10 am   Permalink

So I guess from the forgoing (which had foregone quite some time ago), that this...

... would not be a waste of money.

As many of you know, I prefer to make my own stuff and, though I'll probably like my own falernum better, I don't use it that much. I'm inclined to use someone elses ready-made if it's good and then make my own when I'm in the mood for fresh cloves and lime zest. Hmm. I think I might be getting there as we speak (... err...um....type/read).

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 12:10 pm   Permalink

I've used vf before in a drink-- thought it was way too overpowering. I think it was Martiki that said they use it more during the holidays because of the extra spice? Damn straight there's extra spice in that!
I almost choked putting 1/4oz in a drink! I've found that when using VF, if you are going to, that the best way to cut down on the spice overload is to use very little in the drink. If it calls for 1/4oz, try using a teaspoon or something. I mean, you can always add more if you don't get enough. Add too much though, and your drink is toast. The falernum is all you'll taste.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
irishf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-04 2:25 pm   Permalink

I like Taylor's Velvet Falernum, tastes good to me. Maybe I'm a plebian?

View Profile of irishf Send a personal message to irishf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-07 10:32 pm   Permalink

Dale DeGroff, High Preist of the Classic Cocktail, hardily reccomends the John Taylor D. Velvet Falernum. For what it's worth/

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 04:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-04 14:25, irishf wrote:
I like Taylor's Velvet Falernum, tastes good to me. Maybe I'm a plebian?

I'm with you, Irishf. I like Taylor's Velvet. Rich, smooth, spicey, plays well with most cocktails.

I am super jealous, Gnomon, that you can get it off the shelf like that. I had to order mine from the internet.

And if you want to make your own it is super easy. It is not fast if you want to do it right, but worth the effort.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 10:10 am   Permalink

I have used Fee's and the Velvet; haven't got used to the swing of the Velvet yet, but it has a much better taste on its own. The Fee's is gummy, but plays well with others. The Velvet has much more flavor, and is a cleaner taste. Is this closer to the ingredient in older recipes?

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HJ

Posted: 2010-09-09 9:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-29 00:26, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
1)fee bros is GREAT. 2)davinci is ok. 3)velvet falernum sucks!. Are we clear?.

I think a few people are getting confused, myself included, with respect to Velvet Falernum because there are two different brands that use velvet in the name. There is the heralded original Falernum from Barbados made by John D. Taylor and there is straight Velvet Falernum that was recently created by Dale DeGroff. See here:
http://www.kingcocktail.com/Falenm-release.htm

I've heard Fee's is great and also that it is too tart. Has anyone compared JD Taylors and DeGroffs "velvet" ? Anyone tried all three?

View Profile of HJ Send a personal message to HJ      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-12 2:08 pm   Permalink

FYI-In Sippin Safari & Remixed, Da Bum recommends Fee Brothers:

"we've found that Fee Brother's works best in vintage tropical drinks"

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-12 4:04 pm   Permalink

I don't like the Fee's because of the corn syrup.
It's kinda gross.
I use the Taylor Velvet and it tastes pretty damn good.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation