Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ velvet falernum=mistake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
velvet falernum=mistake
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-12 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-04 09:10, The Gnomon wrote:

íTick Tack! Superfiltrado y Multirectificado.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-12 6:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-12 16:04, CucamongaChango wrote:
I don't like the Fee's because of the corn syrup.
It's kinda gross.
I use the Taylor Velvet and it tastes pretty damn good.

That's an excellent point CC. Unfortunately it's true across Fee's line. They use HFCS in everything they make, save for their bitters. You would think that with the movement towards artisanal products they would switch to cane sugar. I know that I would be inclined to buy more of their products if they stopped using HFCS.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-13 06:48 am   Permalink

Trader Tiki's Falernum is now available...with no HFCS or preservamatives:

http://www.tradertiki.com/store/falernum/

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 09:25 am   Permalink

The commercial brands taste so artificial to me. Whether it's HFCS or something else, I don't know. Fee's falernum is just plain awful if you ask me. There's just no substitute for making your own with it comes to falernum.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-13 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 09:25, GatorRob wrote:
... There's just no substitute for making your own with it comes to falernum.

Yes there is! Trader Tiki's brand as mentioned above. Check it out, it may be "commercial" but it's just like homemade but without the mess or time.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 10:02 am   Permalink

Thanks Paul, your check is in the mail!

Seriously though, I just put out my
Falernum and I'm thrilled. Just like with the passion fruit syrup, I made it available because it's something I wanted available. Nothing goofy in it, just lime juice, sugar, clove oil, almond, and ginger, with a touch of gum to keep texture consistent.

I know what you're thinking... where's the rum? Well, it's a non-alcoholic product, but somewhere in the midst of production, a bottle of J.Wray makes its way to bottle heaven.

Anyhow, just thought I'd let you know that someone who gives a damn and has been making this at home for years has put something out there to make it a little easier for you. Seriously, it's good stuff made with real ingredients or I wouldn't put it out there.

Okole Maluna!

-Blair

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 2:35 pm   Permalink

I left that opening for you and I knew you'd say that. Seriously, if it was available in stores here, I'd be the first in line. I'm ecstatic you're putting all of these syrups out. I think it's fantastic! However, for a product that has a relatively short shelf life, the shipping cost just puts it outside of my personal price bracket comfort zone. This is no fault of yours, just the way it is. "Impossible to obtain locally" rums are a different story because, well, they are otherwise impossible to obtain locally. So if I want them badly enough I'll pay whatever the price is. I really do hope to try your syrups some day though. I'll be in Portland/Seattle next June, so that's my best bet to bring some back and I'm looking forward to it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 3:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 14:35, GatorRob wrote:
I left that opening for you and I knew you'd say that.

Yeah, I have to admit to being predictable like that. I really ought to discuss things that aren't "BUY MY SYRUPS", but hey, go with what you know right?

Quote:

I'll be in Portland/Seattle next June, so that's my best bet to bring some back and I'm looking forward to it.

Excellent! Do send me a PM when you'll be in town. I just got distribution in Louisiana, so... getting close to Florida all the time!

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-13 3:45 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm not on Trader Tiki's advertising payroll, but I can say that his Falernum is the best that I've tasted. I have the Fee's, JD Taylor, and Hanshell's and it's no contest. The TT is bright and spicy, perfectly balanced with the acid. Good work!

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-14 04:33 am   Permalink

We just made our own falernum when we had some friends down and found we had none so we got it from the recipe in beachbum berry's remixed book and it is great and all natural(no corn syrup)Try it it wont take too long and costs virtually nothing!Also you had the pleasure to say i made that

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation