FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Travel Ľ Ľ Any Tiki Bars in San Jose area...
Any Tiki Bars in San Jose area...
JETS777

Posted: 2015-02-22 8:53 pm   Permalink

Hi guys. Just joined, my first ever thread/post here. I'm leaving for San Jose tomorrow morning (2/23/15) for two nights....driving up from Los Angeles where I live. I was wondering if there are any tiki bars in San Jose or along the way that are worthwhile stopping at. I searched the internet and San Jose looks pretty sparse in terms of Tiki. Thank you

View Profile of JETS777 Send a personal message to JETS777      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-22 9:45 pm   Permalink

There are a few -a bit out of the way for some folks.
If I was going to S J, I would drive the 86 miles Modesto just to visit Minnies-an old school tiki bar some might call a real dive. Just a short mile or so east of Minnieís on the same street is the Tiki Lounge. Great A-frame structure but the T L is undergoing some changes right now. A short 40 something miles north is Forbidden Island which is my personal favorite. Great drinks and decor. On the way home Hulaís in Monterey (72 miles Southwest) is certainly worth a visit. Iíd check the hours of operation before Iíd drive out to any of em as they are a bit out of the way.
Good luck,have a safe trip!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-02-22 21:46 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-22 11:52 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, nothing tiki in San Jose. I keep hoping for it but no dice so far.

You can't go wrong with Forbidden Island as suggested.

There is also a Hula's Island Grill in Santa Cruz. It's mildly tiki but they have some decent drinks and Hawaiian fusion cuisine.
http://www.hulastiki.com

Drink List

HULAʼS MAI TAI
PAINKILLER
HULAʼS HURRICANE
LILIKOI MARGARITA
DR. FUNK​
BLOOD ORANGE MARTINI
THE PINK BIKINI MARTINI
ZOMBIE
ONE EYED PYRAT
HAWAII 5-0
DARK AND STORMY
TROPICAL ITCH
BLUE HAWAIIAN

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-23 06:16 am   Permalink

Unfortunately the San Jose Trader Vic's closed a few years ago.
While not tiki, you should check out the Rosicrucian Museum, which has yhe 2nd largest permanent collection Egyptian artifacts in the US, as well as the Winchester Mystery House.

Hula's in Santa Cruz is not super tiki but they have a decent tiki drink selection and excellent service. When I was there I remember them having a nice mug collection on display as well as some witco masks on the front of the bar that are easy to miss if it is crowded.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-02-23 10:47 am   Permalink

Just an hour north, in San Francisco, you have Smuggler's Cove and the Tonga Room. Both worth the drive, just remember to bring a designated driver, or go in with a full stomach and ask the bartenders for lower-potency cocktails and pace yourself with water.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-23 5:04 pm   Permalink

When I travel I search both Critiki and the Locating Tiki forum here on Tiki Central.

I've never been there but you could check-out the Hukilau.

Hope you have a good trip.

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETS777

Posted: 2015-02-23 7:08 pm   Permalink

Thank you gentlemen, I really appreciate all the great pointers. I just arrived at my hotel in North San Jose. I've got some important drinkin decisions to make before heading to work tomorrow. Thanks again

View Profile of JETS777 Send a personal message to JETS777      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-23 9:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-22 23:52, fez monkey wrote:

There is also a Hula's Island Grill in Santa Cruz. It's mildly tiki but they have some decent drinks and Hawaiian fusion cuisine.
http://www.hulastiki.com
- fm

Mahalo Fez, I was unaware of the Hulaís in Santa Cruz. According to their website they have a common owner. And only 32 miles from S J.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-02-23 10:13 pm   Permalink

We have been a few times to Hula's in Monterey and in Santa Cruz. The happy hour is fun with discounted appetizers that are delicious. Happy Hunting, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-01 01:21 am   Permalink

If you're nice (and bring a bottle) you may be granted access to Notch's bar. It's cool, and hidden in a Hot Rod shop!

Search for Notch on here and send him a PM.

View Profile of IDoVoodoo Send a personal message to IDoVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-08 12:15 am   Permalink

Trader Vicís will open a full-service restaurant in Terminal B at San Jose Airport plus a smaller Trader Vicís Outpost for grab-and-go customers.

The Mercury News:San Jose Airport adding Chick-Fil-A, Shake Shack, Trader Vicís

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-08 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-08 00:15, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Trader Vicís will open a full-service restaurant in Terminal B at San Jose Airport

Cool! Would love to see them in more airports.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-19 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-08 00:15, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Trader Vicís will open a full-service restaurant in Terminal B at San Jose Airport plus a smaller Trader Vicís Outpost for grab-and-go customers.

The Mercury News:San Jose Airport adding Chick-Fil-A, Shake Shack, Trader Vicís

I would love to see more TV's pop up domestically, even if just in airports. I hope this comes to fruition in San Jose.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation