FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Locating Tiki ╗ ╗ Trader Vic's, London United Kingdom, London, United Kingdom (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, London United Kingdom, London, United Kingdom (restaurant)
delicado

Posted: 2006-02-18 3:10 pm   Permalink

It's my birthday today and I went to Trader Vics London at the Hilton early tonight. I had been wanting to go for years but somehow I had never made it before. Sad to say that while the decor was fantastic, the music was so awful and oppressively loud that I left without having a drink. Kind of super loud peppy Marc Anthony style latin music. I would have slipped them a Martin Denny CD but I didn't have one on me. Is there a night or any time at all when they play classic exotica, or am I living in the wrong century?

View Profile of delicado Send a personal message to delicado  Goto the website of delicado     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-19 01:02 am   Permalink

Unfortunately this is too true, not that it hasn't been tried to change. Jay Strongman (Oasis DJ) has made up a couple of compilation CDs for them, but unfortunately they felt "it didn't have enough Salsa".

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-08 5:21 pm   Permalink

I shot a batch of photos at TV's London a couple months ago and have a question as to the purpose of the numbers on the tapa in the "Tiki Room" which they use for banquets and such - what are they for?

I don't think they correspond to seating places.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-09 01:19 am   Permalink

Tapa Cloths of this size, and probably from Tonga or Samoa are always numbered, I'm not quite sure why exactly but I think it corresponds with the panels in the Tapa.
I will ask my samoan freind if he would know more.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 05:55 am   Permalink

Trader Vics , London now have their own website
Check out that cool looking Mai Tai Canoe!

http://www.tradervicslondon.com/

rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-06 7:57 pm   Permalink

Friday evening before heading back to Mahiki I took my buddy Rob to the Trader Vic's in London to celebrate his new job at St. Thomas Hospital there. Here are some photos for those who haven't been there recently:

The main entrance (this one is also below ground):

There is also a lobby entrance (ala TV Berlin)

The foyer and stairway:

Enjoying the specialties of the house:

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthSeaSadie

Posted: 2008-10-25 12:07 pm   Permalink

I was at the London Hilton Trader Vic's in May and it has lost none of its luster. Despite an extensive renovation of the hotel, the Trader Vic's is as wonderful as ever and each original piece of the decor has been lovingly preserved. The drinks were excellent, the food was superb and the presentation was truly grand. My waiter boned a fish with such expertise, I was reminded of the great restaurants of my youth when waiters all did such things.

I will never miss going to Trader Vic's when I'm in London. Oh, if only the Beverly Hills one was as good!

View Profile of SouthSeaSadie Send a personal message to SouthSeaSadie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-26 05:03 am   Permalink

I thought the doorman was a little rough!

Good drinks, well appointed,

Friendly staff,

Good food, largest Trader Vics tab to date,

It was a great experience and I was getting a bit full on all the pints and was ready for rum.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 6:52 pm   Permalink

I was in London this past May. I brought my in-laws and my wife to their first Trader Vics experience. I have been to the TV in Atlanta numerous times and I knew that I could not pass up the opportunity. That night the service was great. My mother-in-law got lit on numerous Mai Tais, my father-in-law got to tell his suffering bastard story when he was a student in Egypt and I had a great steak. A good time was had by all.
My Mother-in-law Shirley with one of her Mai Tais.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 1:59 pm   Permalink

Took the family to TV this week, during half term.

First time for my 7 year old - Ben.

What boy doesn't like to cook his own food over a roaring flame...

Simone enjoying the usual great TV service, food and drinks.

On a busy schedule we ended up falling into TV at 3.00pm for lunch and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Nice.

TV London - one of my most fav places on earth.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 08:26 am   Permalink

Man, would I love to visit this place...

Alas, all I have is a CD full of images someone let me borrow/copy. I've seen some of these in news articles so I'm assuming these are the "official" images used by the location and/or Trader Vic's Corporate. The date on these is 2001.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 09:56 am   Permalink

Every corner of that location looks awesome!!
Thanks for posting the pics!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-12 07:52 am   Permalink

Great pictures everyone! Mahalo!

Now it's fez monkey time to share:

Quote:

On 2006-11-05 14:29, fez monkey wrote:

Unlike the London location, they were proud and happy to have me take photos of the place. (I'll post my highly illicit London photos another time.)

Enough blather! Where are the pics?

- SV

C'mon fez monkey! Don't be a tease! where are the pics?
...what If I say please?
Please?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-12 11:49 am   Permalink

Thanks to Zeta's prodding here is my addition to the fine photos already in this thread. They're not up to my usual standard but keep in mind I had to take most of them on the sly since I was told it was policy to not allow photo taking.

Um, okay. Whatever dude. Clearly, that seems to be an inconsistently applied policy.

Staff lore: even though this place opened in 1968, people still sometimes complain about the 'fishy" smell
emanating from the shell lamps which are made from real shells.

I tend to go to Vic's overseas when it's quiet so I can take photos and talk to the staff but I've been here on a Friday night and it was packed to the gills so I think they'll be around a while longer.

LIke all of the UK, prices are steep. Take the US drink menu and change the dollar sign to a British pounds sign and there you go.

As someone else mentioned, salsa and latin/Caribbean seems to be the music of choice just as in Taipei and the now defunct Shanghai location. Can't have everything I suppose.

This place is rich in history and decoration and seems to (either intentionally or otherwise) hire a lot a good looking servers. All in all, a definite must-do when in London.

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pa'akiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

1963 original Trader Vic's photo at the Hilton Hotel in London

View Profile of pa'akiki Send a personal message to pa'akiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation