FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Bar Mauna Loa - Madrid - Spain, Madrid, Spain (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bar Mauna Loa - Madrid - Spain, Madrid, Spain (bar)
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-22 23:58, Zeta wrote:

"Unfortunately does the Tiki community in Spain absolutely ignore their own tiki culture and will probably wake up, when its to late!" -Someone from the North

Then I´m supposed not to do this every time I use a vintage mug?

Why didn´t they tell us before?

Back to Mauna Loa...

Quote:

On 2009-12-22 16:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK...I have always wondered (as I am sure many folks here have !) WHY, oh why is the Madrid Mauna Loa logo a volcano with a bearded Asian man's face..!?

Is this perhaps a hint at the Chinese origin of the Spanish Tiki tradition? I am curious to hear theories about this baffling mystery. Mr N.? Senor Z.?

In my opinion Mauna Loa just followed the First Law of Successful Tiki Bar Management:
“You don´t need to know a shit about Polynesian cultures, but you can´t do it without a cool logo”.
A Universal Law.

Quote:

On 2009-12-22 17:00, bigbrotiki wrote:

Judging by the type face, this is a "late" Tiki joint, maybe 70s, or even 80s. A great name, but why? Was it lit with black light? Or was it that rare specimen, an African American Tiki Bar? And WHY did they choose an Indian totem pole as their logo Tiki?

[ This Message was edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-30 11:10 ]

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 12:42 pm   Permalink

Mister N., it must be the pain of your tragic loss documented above which inflamed such general judgement on our beloved pop culture!
One certainly had to know a little more than just sh#% , take for example (since you referred to it here) Blackie Auger's deep wisdom: "You eat beef or you don't eat nothing."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-30 4:57 pm   Permalink

The Mauna Loa Madrid China man volcano logo HAS a story behind it and it's not there just because. Actually, It was custom made exclusively for them, just like many other mugs where unique to other bars...
From a 1978 newspaper bar review:

Translation needed

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-30 4:59 pm   Permalink

Another different vintage coaster

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 03:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-30 16:57, Zeta wrote:
The Mauna Loa Madrid China man volcano logo HAS a story behind it and it's not there just because. Actually, It was custom made exclusively for them, just like many other mugs where unique to other bars...
From a 1978 newspaper bar review:

Translation needed

Geographical ignorance and coolness are not incompatible.
There are also stories behind all of the great wrong named Bares Hawaianos like Mabuhay , Malibu or Manaos. Laughable stories in most cases.
If your Mauna Loa logo story is different I´ll eat my vintage coaster.
Lo prometo.

From that 1978 press ad: “Cover charge 4 €”.
Not “€” in 1978. Spain wasn´t even a EEC member those days.
It seems they neither care much about historical rigor.

[ This Message was edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-31 03:13 ]

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-19 3:07 pm   Permalink

[/quote]
From that 1978 press ad: “Cover charge 4 €”.
Not “€” in 1978. Spain wasn´t even a EEC member those days.
It seems they neither care much about historical rigor.
[/quote]

Mister Naufrago,
Maybe this promotional card was re-printed from an original one from 1978 and they had to adapt it after January 1999 to turn it from pesetas to euros.
We should find an older one (that I think I have, but not right here and now...) and see what it says on it. I am pretty sure the drinks are a lot more expensive now.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-19 3:10 pm   Permalink

See what I found with Google street view:

So cool! The future is here my friends...

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-03 08:35 am   Permalink

Aloha amigos! I just wanted to say that last night I re-read Rob Elliott's review of Mauna Loa on issue #15 of Tiki News (mahalo to Mr. Naufrago for lending me his copy) and I think it's great. Two thumbs up, classic. Gonzo would be proud. Is this the first English written modern review of the place?
There's another review of Mauna Loa in Tiki Magazine, right? What's the issue?
And another one in Pocketiki, correct?
Anything else?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation