FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Barefoot Bay
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Barefoot Bay
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-27 06:19 am   Permalink

Looking forward to see the new escape area.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-29 4:54 pm   Permalink

Will and Mauka, thanks for the encouragement. Will I have my eye on a couple of local Tikis to save shipping charges

I have a 10 foot Tiki in the back yard now but am looking to trade it for one of these. I had originally thought my 10 footer was carved by my father-in-law but it turns out it was carved by his son, my brother-in-law. The 10 footer is too tall for my new area and I'm hoping that one of these root ball Tikis was carved by my father-in-law

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-28 2:36 pm   Permalink

Closing time, every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

The potted plants from the patio took up almost all of a 20 foot moving van

A homecoming of sorts. This Tiki was carved here 30+ years ago. After the restaurant closed, it was bought and stood guard at someone's driveway until I bought it 4 years ago and brought it to Barefoot Bay. Now it has gone back to it's place of origin.

Progress on the new Barefoot Bay will be slow; wives have their priorities and I think I will have to get the inside of the new house all set before I can do much to the patio But I have grand plans

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-29 06:44 am   Permalink

All right
Looking forward to the build

And congratulations again on the new place

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-29 07:24 am   Permalink

Congrats on the new space. Looks like a great "blank slate" to play with. Can't wait to see what kind of spin you put on the new space and we will all wait patiently while you complete your Honey Do list first.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-02 7:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jon and LG. That "blank slate" is the place I moved out of, the new place is already filled with stuff

I went down to the Tiki Trade-In Store today (what, you guys don't have one of those?). I was going to exchange my 10 foot Tiki for a smaller rootball Tiki and had planned to get this one. But when we stood it up, I realized it was almost 10 feet too.

So I decided on this 6 or 7 footer. I'm not saying its a little top-heavy but look where the balance point is (it's hanging balanced from that chain)

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-03 07:59 am   Permalink

That guy's a BEAST.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-03 08:50 am   Permalink

Those are some monster tikis! So envious--wish I had something like those for the Lagoon. Very, very impressive.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-09 1:00 pm   Permalink

Making some progress. Got the behemoth Tiki to the new house and unloaded it. The small utility trailer has a 6 inch rail all the way around and I knew they was no way to lift it over that rail. So I used a large pry bar to roll it to one side of the trailer then three of us got on the other side and tipped the whole trailer over and dumped the Tiki out on the ground, worked perfectly

Started staining the patio concrete, I like the way it's turning out. Got my wind block wall framed in

I did some experimentation with making my own lava landscaping blocks. There were a couple of things I didn't like about the ones at Lowe's/Home Depot; boring texture (I wanted lava) and boring color (I wanted black). So I made a mold from some metal and wood and cast a few. The mold worked fine but they weren't exactly what I was looking for; I added black concrete dye but they weren't anywhere near lava black. They were also pretty time consuming to make. So now I have a new plan. I'm ordering some black concrete acid stain and will see if the commercial blocks and my blocks can be stained black. Then I can use about half commercial blocks and half custom textured blocks. I'm got some lava textured rock stamps to experiment with and plan to incorporate some glazed ceramic "oozing hot lava" and some real lava rocks and/or obsidian into the concrete. Will keep you posted on outcome

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-10 06:52 am   Permalink

Oooooooooo.....exciting Lava Rock Block project. I'm intrigued. Around my parts the only lava rock I'm able to get is the red chipped-up stuff. It might be good to use to make some molds, but like you said, it isn't very exciting.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-16 5:34 pm   Permalink

Some progress - electrical and plumbing for the wall done

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-21 6:33 pm   Permalink

I haven't been on TC in a while but I'm happy to see that your project is starting! Come fall we'll be building a tiki bar at the beach house - I hope. We need storage as well so there's some negotiating going on between myself and the hubs! I wish there was a way for a rootball tiki or two to make their way to NJ! I'd have one at each location! I need someone to throw a pair in a truck and come visit. Jealous beyond words!!!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki  Email LoriLovesTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-30 4:46 pm   Permalink

Lori, I wish I could pack up a rootball Tiki and send it to you. As it is, I'm not sure how I'm going to stand the beast I have

A little progress while I'm waiting for the clay on my
Art Swap project to dry. Put up some plywood and stained it, some bamboo, a shelf, and framed a window. The window will have a large format vinyl tropical scene photo in it.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-30 7:57 pm   Permalink

Wow, there must be many wonderful posts that I'm missing. I'm late getting here but now that I have I'll be sure to return. This is a MadDogMike story if there ever was one. You are always over the top fun. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-31 6:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike, me too! Maybe one day I can take a massive road trip and drive one up from Florida or something! Or bribe someone else to come visit and bring me some new friends. Hint, hint!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki  Email LoriLovesTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation