FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » The Tiki Table Lamp Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Tiki Table Lamp Thread
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-04 03:15 am   Permalink

Very cool coconut carving concept, indeed!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-17 8:17 pm   Permalink

This thread sure deserves to be on the Cool and Current list. Thank you guys for a super view and read. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-05 09:09 am   Permalink

Here is one I have- never seen. Some kind of Maori style ceramic lamp-

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-05 3:44 pm   Permalink

Looks more like Haida or other North-American Indian ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-05 6:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-09-05 15:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Looks more like Haida or other North-American Indian ?

Not sure either, but the Rapa Nui Birdmen on either side of the "Tiki" led me to believe it was some sort of Polynesian likeness?

Thanks,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-05 6:21 pm   Permalink

With the way American designers took their liberties with Tiki style, it is not impossible that one decided to mix mainland and island primitive art

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-14 8:24 pm   Permalink

I got one of the Johnny Quong's table lamps today:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-17 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-10-14 20:24, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I got one of the Johnny Quong's table lamps today:

Buzzy Out!

What a find!!! Congrats.

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2016-10-17 10:59 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-17 5:42 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2015-04-23 12:38, Tattoo wrote:
And of most interest is this lamp in the corner which is the same lamp as 8'Tiki has.

Courtesy of the Oceanic Arts Archives

Below it is a little sign that states the lamp is from Johnny Quong’s in Salt Lake City. How cool is that! Hopefully someone can dig up a picture form Johnny Quong’s with that lamp in it.

Johhny Quong's Tiki Table lamp from the collection of 8' Tiki

Hey Tattoo, This new find by Buzzy seems to resemble the Johnny Quong example from the OA collection more closely than the one I have. Compare the photos here and you will see differences such as the color of the wood, height of the base, width of the head, placement of the hands, the bridge of the nose is way different, pointed chin and other carving details. Which only adds to the mystery of their origins. These variations could be due to the fact that they are carved not molded or that they are from different production batches where wood supplies and carving methods changed. Were these hand carved or machine carved? I like the idea that my lamp was used at J.Q.'s but perhaps it was from another restaurant that used the same style lamp.

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2016-11-06 14:19 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-05 5:50 pm   Permalink

Saw this lamp today and was wondering if anyone is familiar with it. The base of the lamp is a large ceramic Kundu drum in the style of Papua New Guinea. The overall height of the lamp including the shade (which I believe to be original) is about 4 feet. There are no markings to identify it.

Thanks for your comments.

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-05 9:21 pm   Permalink

Coooooooool lamp. No idea about it's history.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-19 1:01 pm   Permalink

Found these from the Mauna Loa last fall at an estate sale. I've had one without a shade for years, but these are in perfect shape

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-19 2:28 pm   Permalink

Killer Mauna Loa lamps!!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-19 3:20 pm   Permalink

Great page

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation