[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Swiss Family Tiki Treehouse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Swiss Family Tiki Treehouse
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-08 7:23 pm   Permalink

The thatch really makes it!!! I built one in So. Cal a while ago and the fire dept said No No No to thatch in the mtns.( even heavy fire retarded) Here's the one I did incase you haven't seen it. Aloha! BB https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.340958716239.185485.679291239&type=1&l=929d83fade

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2015-06-08 19:24 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-11 11:53 am   Permalink

Fantastic stuff, Ben! I've got more inspiration to work from now.

View Profile of nctrader Send a personal message to nctrader  Email nctrader Goto the website of nctrader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-13 11:36 am   Permalink

WOW.....great idea and it looks wonderful!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-15 6:34 pm   Permalink

Drawing more inspiration from friends in Florida...

View Profile of nctrader Send a personal message to nctrader  Email nctrader Goto the website of nctrader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-02 12:51 pm   Permalink

Holly cow! I want one! Looking good

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-19 8:22 pm   Permalink

As it is with a few of the structures on the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse at Walt Disney World (and the Tarzan attraction at Disneyland), our treehouse will feature a thatched pyramid hip roof, with four bamboo corner posts rising to a central lodgepole.

The attractions at the Parks utilize real bamboo in surprisingly many places, however, I suspect the structural work that matters is all welded metal frame or, possibly, a PVC product where lesser integrity will pass.

The treehouse we're constructing utilizes what I believe is Phyllostachys Nigra Hedon variety bamboo, which we have in a large grove at a friend's house. These are relatively straight-growing type that attain heights of 40 - 50' and diameters up to 5". The wall thickness is about schedule 40 - schedule 80, depending on the stalk.

For the corner posts, I selected the straightest poles I could find, with diameters of about 4" - 3" (accounting for taper over their length. Just like Disney's, these posts penetrate the decking to hang down about 16" underneath and protrude through the thatch roof about 16". When drilling holes, you really want to play in as close to the culms as you can, although this isn't always possible.

Structurally, figuring out how to accomplish this was tricky! As you can see from previous pictures, the 2 x 6" deck framing had 6 x 6" corner pockets added, to allow the corner posts to pass through the deck, but insuring that I could go back later and add carriage bolts, spacers, washers and nuts to further secure them in place.

I have found that doing the structural work is easier on green poles. They simply machine easier when they are loaded with moisture. I may live to regret it, but I have made allowances for contraction and expansion as they cure in-place in the construction.

Drilling is best accomplished with forstner bits. I'm using 3/8" zinc carriage bolts to make the corners to a series of diagonal braces between the pony wall studs. The total weight of the roof will be coming in at roughly 300lbs. dry, but I am working to utilize best practices for all the framing, whenever possible.

A corner post bolted in place. Will remove the deck board to route the pass-through later. My Porter Cable packed it in and replacing the brushes didn't remedy the problem. I think the stator is gone.

More detail on the roof construction to come!

The Swiss Family Treehouse is a hodge-podge of materials, because the Robinsons salvaged whatever they could from their ship that broke apart on the rocks of the island they were marooned on. So, with much of the structural work, which required real materials for safety, completed, we are now dumpster-diving and curb-cruising for the bits and pieces that will give the treehouse that "salvaged" look. The local Habitat for Humanity Restore warehouse had a great deal on vinyl shutters in forest green, which will do an admirable job of mimicking some of the ship captain's quarters wood paneling that you will see in the Parks version. We faced these toward our neighbor's houses. This one wall will be almost entirely solid, to afford them some privacy and to keep noise from the treehouse minimized.

Inside, we'll be using Amazulu's excellent woven bamboo plywood product to sheath the interior wall. It doesn't matter that it won't match the exterior material, as you'll never see them in context to one another. I'll have to sneak over the fenceline to grab a better picture of the results!

More to come...

nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-19 8:27 pm   Permalink

If anyone has advice for rotating my images, I'd be in your debt. They were right-side-up when I selected them from my computer...

NSB Friki Tiki

Posted: 2015-07-22 6:25 pm   Permalink

What part of Charlotte do you live in ?
I live / work in CLT and in New Smyrna Beach Florida
Awesome project so far

View Profile of NSB Friki Tiki Send a personal message to NSB Friki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiLounge
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-28 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-08 19:23, RevBambooBen wrote:
The thatch really makes it!!! I built one in So. Cal a while ago and the fire dept said No No No to thatch in the mtns.( even heavy fire retarded) Here's the one I did incase you haven't seen it. Aloha! BB https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.340958716239.185485.679291239&type=1&l=929d83fade

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2015-06-08 19:24 ]

Ben, about not being able to use thatch.... There is an AMAZING faux thatch made to look just like thatch for neighborhoods with strict HOME Owner Associations. I know you can get with Gulf Coast Palapas for info. I've seen the stuff and it looks amazingly real even from the inside looking up.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiLounge Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiLounge  Email EnchantedTikiLounge Goto the website of EnchantedTikiLounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-29 08:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-22 18:25, NSB Friki Tiki wrote:
What part of Charlotte do you live in ?
I live / work in CLT and in New Smyrna Beach Florida
Awesome project so far

We're in downtown Concord, just north of Charlotte.

NSB Friki Tiki

Posted: 2015-07-29 09:01 am   Permalink

Ah ok .. I used to live in Concord also. Off HWY 73 Exit 55.
Would love to see it sometime.

View Profile of NSB Friki Tiki Send a personal message to NSB Friki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nctrader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-09-02 1:34 pm   Permalink

More work happening as time allows. You know how that is?

Bamboo rafters are in and spaced sheathing battens for landing the Mexican cape thatch are going in now! We have a 36" x 60' roll of the material. Thatching the corners is confounding, but I know I'll find something online for how this is accomplished!

We have about 250' of bamboo material 10' up in that magnolia tree now and I'm considering corner stilts to take the burden off the tree.

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-31 3:00 pm   Permalink

Wait, no updates for more than a year? No way! I want to see what the treehouse looks like now! Must be incredible!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-02-02 6:21 pm   Permalink

This is amazing!!!!

View Profile of Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II Send a personal message to Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-03 08:01 am   Permalink

Would love to see updated pics!!

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation