FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's the best book of Tiki Drink Recipes?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What's the best book of Tiki Drink Recipes?
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-29 4:51 pm   Permalink

I realize that there are three drink books in the "book" area...I'm thinking of buying another recipe book and am curious which may be the best? Please feel free to list them in order as I hope to increase my library in the next few years. I noticed that none of the Trader Vic books are in the book area and I may be missing a classic drink book.

TB

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 4:58 pm   Permalink

1. "The Grog Log", Beachbum Berry

2. "Intoxica", Beachbum Berry

3. "Bartender's Guide", Trader Vic

4. "Hawai'i Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine", Don the Beachcomber? (Credited posthumously) Arnold Bittner, Phoebe Beach

5. "Caribbean Cocktails and Mixed Drinks", Mike Henry

6. "The Book of Cocktails", Jenny Ridgewell

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 6:35 pm   Permalink

I'm with Al and Shelley on those choices.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-07-29 6:59 pm   Permalink

Use Tiki Central Search! to find them on Amazon.com. I have the Grog Log myself, and I review it here.

(sorry for the plug).

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-29 7:06 pm   Permalink

yea, what al& shelly said.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-29 8:32 pm   Permalink

Agree with above......
Also, this little item from the Montreal Tiki Appreciation Society:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4606&forum=1&4

It's not particularly fancy--it's small in size and spiral bound ala Kinko's, but it has some interesting recipes AND it's for a good cause.

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-01 4:34 pm   Permalink

In addition to those already listed, I like Maui on the Rocks, Trader Vic's Rum Cookery and Drinkery and/or Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink and Cocktails A-Go-Go. Paradise on Ice is ok, but often calls for hard to find ingredients.

For Rum recipes - The Encyclopedia of Rum Drinks can't be beat!

For simple fun - Atomic Bodyslams to Whiskey Zippers!

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-25 11:55 pm   Permalink

I feel as though I have just found the holy grail! I just received a book that was written in 1979 by a bartending school teacher in Hawaii, called "Poly-Mix". It contains more than 350 recipes and has 110 pages of type written text, most of which are tropical cocktails. The thing that gets me excited is seeing the extensive use of ingredients such as falernum, orgeat, okolehao, honey cream, "all dashes", etc. I can hardly wait to compare the recipes to the Grog Logs. The author also was selling drink syrups to be used in the recipes. I am in the process of tracking him down to get those long lost recipes.

Anyway, if you see the book buy it!

Cheers,

KT

[ This Message was edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-03-25 23:57 ]

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 12:31 am   Permalink

Yeah, Al n Shelly's 1 and 2 are it, and they are cheap enough, you can't not own them. Start with one, work your way to two...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 07:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-25 23:55, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I feel as though I have just found the holy grail! I just received a book that was written in 1979 by a bartending school teacher in Hawaii, called "Poly-Mix".I can hardly wait to compare the recipes to the Grog Logs.

Kreaky, not to burst your bubble or anything but, the drinks in Beachbum Berry's Grog Log and Intoxica are the original recipes. The tropical drinks we associate with Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber, etc do not originate from Hawaii. Remember, the Mai Tai was invented in Oakland, Ca. If you find that the recipes in your newly discovered book don't match what's in the Grog Log, it's because they are not the original recipes.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 08:31 am   Permalink

Poly Pop, I hear what your saying, and let me say that to date Beachbum Berry's book's are my favorites. I am happy about my new find because it offers me a chance to try other recipes utilizing the same "core" ingredients. Pimento is another ingredient used multiple times in this new book. I'm just stocked to have more drinks to mix in my "Ocean Room".

I am curious to know where the author got his training, my preliminary research has found that he was born in 1913. He would have been in his prime during Don the Beachcomber's reign. Many of the recipes seem like they may have come from the Beachcomber. I'll post more later.

By the way, any chance Beachbum Berry will put out another book? I'm ready for it!

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 08:40 am   Permalink

KT,
Yes it would indeed be interesting to see how many of the recipes are the same. If so, I would speculate that this author could have possibly been trained by Don or Don's staff. I mean, how else would he know the recipes? Especially considering the dating of the book and author.

And yes, Beachbum Berry is currently in the works with another recipe book -- this one will have a lot of the food recipes from the old Poly Pop restaurants.

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-26 08:42 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 10:23 am   Permalink

I am very gratified that the Beachbum (the only guest author in the BOT!) is receiving the recognition he deserves, and that not once that abominable "TIKI DRINKS" train jumper book is mentioned...

I just photographed the cover for his new tome, "TABOO TABLE", due out in late May.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-03-26 10:23, bigbrotiki wrote:[/

I just photographed the cover for his new tome, "TABOO TABLE", due out in late May.

I'm looking forward to that but BBB said no Spam! Boo Hoo!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 8:49 pm   Permalink

NO SPAM!?! Oh, well... Sniffle, Boo Hoo, Waaaaaaaaah(crying alongside Atomic).

The Alnshely List (as I think we've already established) is made up of the BEST! I've never even SEEN a couple of those books but am prepared to POUNCE the second I do!

Get the Beach Bum Berry books immediately, Tiki Baron, as they are both available and affordable. The Trader Vic books tend to be plentiful on eBay.

I would suggest, however, shopping Used Bookstores and Thrift Shops (Flea Markets, as well) simply to find as many OLD, CHEAP Bartender's Guides as possible. Immediately ignore anything they say about the Mai Tai or the Zombie (or any other drink listed in the BBB Books) but check out any other Tropical Offerings.

Picking through the rubble requires, of course, persistence. It may take a great deal of time, a fair amount of liquor, and billions of Brain Cells to choose the good from the bad from these books. My experience suggests, though, that there is at least ONE MAGICAL CONCOCTION in each of them.

Unlike Cookbooks, there are No Bad Bartender's Guides. Only GOOD, BETTER and BEST!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation