FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's the best book of Tiki Drink Recipes?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What's the best book of Tiki Drink Recipes?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 9:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-25 23:55, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I just received a book that was written in 1979 by a bartending school teacher in Hawaii, called "Poly-Mix". It contains more than 350 recipes and has 110 pages of type written text, most of which are tropical cocktails.
[ This Message was edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-03-25 23:57 ]

The Beachbum would like to know who the author is, please. He thinks he knows, but does not know this particular book!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 10:35 pm   Permalink

I just found a keeper, and I now know where the Beachbum got some of his Grog Log illustrations...

The Book in question is

OKOLEMALUMA
(Bottoms Up!)
The Ameteur Barteneders Hawaiian Friend
Exotic and Plain
Mixed Drinks
And Canapes
From The
Entire Pacific Area
And The Orient

By South Seas Scotty

Awesome cover Illustration, and some interesting drinks recipes.

My find of the month.
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikigardener on 2004-03-29 01:06 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-29 09:49 am   Permalink

Oh boy, there are lots of little specialty tropical drink books out there now. The latest one we got is called 'The Great Tiki Drink Book' by Jennifer Trainer thomson. It's full of pictures and good recipes - fun to have on the top of the bar. I think some of the newer books have some recipes that people have made up just for the particular book.

My all time favorite is the Mai Tai, yummy - and Richard's is the Blue Hawaiian; but I digress,
you know we always keep a copy of Mr. Boston's Batender's Guide behind the bar. It's got like a thousand drink recipes in alphabetical order, and most of the good tropical drinks, and with plain no nonsense mixing instructions. It's fun, we always find something new in it. But you know it doesn't have a Blue Hawaiian recipe! Can you imagine...!!

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 12:11 am   Permalink

Big Bro, the author did work at some mainland bars, one of which was Aku Aku. I have made contact with the family and should more detailed information soon. I am trying to get more copies of the book. Maybe BBB would like one?

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-03-30 6:57 pm   Permalink

These look like fun, but I have yet to compare or try the recipes.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 00:11, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
Big Bro, the author did work at some mainland bars, one of which was Aku Aku. I have made contact with the family and should more detailed information soon. I am trying to get more copies of the book. Maybe BBB would like one?

Cheers,

KT

You betcha! Great cocktail archeology, Mahalo!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 18:57, bongofury wrote:
These look like fun, but I have yet to compare or try the recipes.

The one on the left is the one I just found.
Looks like late 50's to anytime 60's vintage.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-06 11:55 pm   Permalink

It appears that Trader Vic's Bartending Guide is his most recommended drink book, but what about the other books, like:

Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink "1946"
Bartender's Guide "1948"
Trader's Vic's Kitchen Kibitzer "1952"
Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook "1968"
BARTENDER'S GUIDE Revised Ed. "1972"
Trader Vic's Book of Mexican Cooking "1973"
Trader Vic's Rum Cookery & Drinkery "1974"
TRADER VIC'S HELLUVA MAN'S COOKBOOK "1976"

Most can be found for under $10, except Trader Vic's Rum Cookery & Drinkery @$42+. Does anybody have them all? If so, could you rank them.

Cheers,

KT

[ This Message was edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-04-06 23:57 ]

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-11 3:33 pm   Permalink

had no idea that beachbm was workin on a 3rd book!!!1....this is great news, cant wait to check it out!!!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation