FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 12:26 am   Permalink

Name: Royal Hawaiian
Type: restaurant
Street: 331 N Coast Hwy
City: Laguna Beach
State: CA
Zip: 92651
Phone: 949-494-8001

Description:
The Royal Hawaiian is a 40-year-old landmark in Laguna Beach. The food isn't supposed to be all that good but I can personally vouch for the bar's signature concoction, the Lapu-Lapu. For about $8, it's the equivolent of four to five drinks in one and it takes two hands to lift the huge fishbowl that it's served in. The bar/ restaurant just recently replaced most of their wood tikis out front. The decor inside is top notch.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-07-30 22:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2012-05-01 11:36 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-30 12:17 pm   Permalink

Oops, did you mean Lapu Lapu?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 08:31 am   Permalink

I have had many good times and memories at the Royal.Looking forward to the next!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-07-31 1:01 pm   Permalink

FYI- Bonus air miles for drinking/dining here...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4924&forum=1&6

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 7:56 pm   Permalink

The Royal Hawiian is possibly the test tiki resturant next to the Tonga Room.

It has an extemely high TIPSY factor, both inside and out. NEW: The Royal Hawiian has replaced its colorful, but damaged tikis outside with new, natural colored wood tiki poles.

My favorite table is next to the tiki garden, in view of the bar. There are also numerous fishtanks to further accuentuate the tropical feeling. I would not mind if the stark white chairs were replaced.

The prices are very reasonable, just $5.00 for a mai-tai or chi-chi and just $9.00 for the lapu-lapu in the large brandy snifter with the extra layer of rum.

However, although my cocktail was properly served with an umbrelkla, there was a noticeable lack of fresh pineapple and marishino cherries.

It is a reason alone for driving to Laguna Beach, a wonderfully charming beach city, particularly during the summer months during the art festivals.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2003-08-03 11:46 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-24 1:33 pm   Permalink

The Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach has always been one of my favorites. The Lapu Lapu is terrific (if you are out of gas, pour some Lapu Lapu in as a substitute), good Mai Tais too. Drink prices are surprisingly reasonable. However, they close the doors to the bar at 11PM on Weekends. Overall, this place is a tip top tiki bar in my book. Check it out.

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-24 2:31 pm   Permalink

I too, have been to the Royal Hawaiian. We made the trek last year and were very pleased with the place. It has very nice atmosphere, good food and a "happenin'" bar. It seems they haven't changed the place too much and, as a matter of fact, Bob from Oceanic Arts told me they outfitted the place when they originally opened up ages ago. If you're in the neighborhood, check it out.

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 4:40 pm   Permalink

Ah the Lapu Lapus. The wife and I had a few on our last trip out. It took her a day to recover. We also had the lobster. No complaints here.

And it's rumored to be haunted.

[ This Message was edited by: nice fishy on 2003-11-11 21:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nice fishy on 2003-11-11 21:23 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-09 11:37 am   Permalink

this place was among my favorites last year when me and the wahine were out in cali on our tiki tour.....and yes, those lapu's are out of this world!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-22 9:47 pm   Permalink

My wife & I finally got out to the Royal Hawaiian, We shared the Big Kahuna drink & some spare ribs & shrimp appetizers. Had a great time, love the decor as well.

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga King
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-03 9:21 pm   Permalink

We (Tonga Queen and I) finally got a chance to get to the Royal Hawaiian.. We had a great time, Dinner was ok, Restaurant Decor was GREAT and the drink were AWESOME... we both had a Lapu Lapu with our dinner and by the end of dinner we both had a grin from ear to ear and I could feel my cheeks glowing, heck we were feeling so good that we stopped at the bar on the way out to have a "Big Kahuna" which is 2 Lapu Lapus in one glass... WOW...!!!!!!!!!!! Never again on a work night...
If we could only find the recipe for the Lapu Lapu, when we asked how to make all we got was "Light and Dark Rum, Orange juice, Pineapple juice and the secret syrup.."
The only bummer was that there were not any TIKI mugs to be found (except for the ones that had been made into table lamps..
all in all we had a great time and we cannot wait to do it again with other TCers..

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga King on 2004-07-03 21:38 ]

View Profile of Tonga King Send a personal message to Tonga King  Email Tonga King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jameson

Posted: 2004-09-01 02:11 am   Permalink

Went to royal hawaiian 9/04. Not the greatest; had dinner at 8pm and they were out of their 'world famous ribs'. The mai tai was too sweet with no discernable fresh fruit juice (i.e. lime). I tasted like kerns apricot necter with rum. Food was less than average. Bahooka and Damons (same price range) are better, at least in the drink/food area.

reference mai tai : trader vics or house without a key (waikiki) or jamesons (north shore)

View Profile of jameson Send a personal message to jameson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 08:51 am   Permalink

Went there last year, great mai-tai. Great location, nice bartender, some of the furniture ?????????

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-01 5:04 pm   Permalink

I remember going to this place a few years ago with an ex-girlfriend. Between the Mai-Tais and the green goddess dressing, my fate was sealed...

The girl is long gone now, but my appreciation of Tiki and polynesian culture was set. True the drinks and furniture may not be up to par, but having been to tahiti and several of the Hawaiian Islands since then, it isnt too bad. Whats important is that it takes you back to those places that remind you that there are faraway lands that are filled with water of endless shades of blue, white/black sand and soothing drinks that make you forget where you eventually have to return to...

Those of you that have actually been to these places know exactly what im talking about...

in short, enjoy that these places exist even though they may not necessarily be "true" tiki bars...

Mahalo nui loa!

Moi

He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst,
for I have lived today.
(Horace - Odes, Book III, xxix)

[ This Message was edited by: Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave on 2004-09-01 17:07 ]

View Profile of Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave Send a personal message to Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave  Email Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave Goto the website of Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-09-01 17:04, Drunk Sailor on Shore Leave wrote:

My appreciation of Tiki and polynesian culture was set. True the drinks and furniture may not be up to par, but having been to tahiti and several of the Hawaiian Islands since then, it isnt too bad. Whats important is that it takes you back to those places that remind you that there are faraway lands that are filled with water of endless shades of blue, white/black sand and soothing drinks that make you forget where you eventually have to return to...

The Royal Hawaiian is such a tiki treasure because it does have the ability to offer a bit of Hawaiian South Seas paradise right here at home.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation