FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach, CA (restaurant)
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-26 10:52 am   Permalink

That's a whole new restaurant!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTeddie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-26 11:08 am   Permalink

White is so over-rated anyways!

View Profile of TikiTeddie Send a personal message to TikiTeddie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-26 8:34 pm   Permalink

Ah! After to before......

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-27 11:09 am   Permalink

I have always wanted to see someone paint a rock wall just like that in a flat black, then airbrush the gaps between the stones to look like lava.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-28 07:48 am   Permalink

Here are a couple custom LeRoy OA masks now on the front door at the Royal Hawaiian.

When door is open

When door is closed

More soon!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-07 10:49 pm   Permalink

My wife CeCe and I had good fun there this afternoon . Drinks were okay- food was good except fot the Coconut shrimp which were overcooked. Staff was great. Place has a nice vibe cept too much light Gonna give them another try tomorrow at their Cptn. Morgan special event.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-09 2:53 pm   Permalink

Great times last night at the Royal Hawaiian Capt. Morgan Loco Nut party!

It was nice to be able to finally hang out and relax.

Mucho Mahalos to Hasty and the Royal Family!

More stuff soon. Keep an eye out!

Bamboo Ben

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-11 7:49 pm   Permalink

Here's today's Royal Hawaiian Ceiling Jam!

4 a.m. to 11:30

Early shift!

Before

During

After!

More sOOn!!

Bamboo Ben

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-13 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-28 07:48, RevBambooBen wrote:
Here are a couple custom LeRoy OA masks now on the front door at the Royal Hawaiian.

When door is open

When door is closed

More soon!

Unfortunately the LeRoy carved mask on the top ( inside door) had to move due to
ADA laws. A panic bar/ door opener had to be installed. Looking for a new mask to fill the space.
Maybe 36"

Bamboo Ben

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-14 11:29 am   Permalink

Continues to look fantastic in there, Ben! Kudos to the RH owners for choosing to put dollars toward making the atmosphere in there even better.
I never thought thought I'd thank ADA requirements for leading to more Tiki, but in this case...alright!

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: finky099 2017-05-14 11:29 ]

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-16 08:56 am   Permalink

I've been skeptical of that place since The Hula Girls played the first grand opening, like 7 years ago... I never went back until recently. My return was just okay. The bar program was kinda whatever and decor was slightly better than it was when we first played there... Though they still need to ditch the cigar smoking tiki mask.

But MAN... After listening to Adrian's podcast about the new owners digging in and researching Polynesian Pop and investing in what the Royal Hawaiian WAS... Bringing in cocktail consultants from 320 Main... and seeing what you have done to resurrect it, Ben, the place really looks to be turning into a tiki destination once again! Good work, bud!!

So much better than the design direction they had originally talked about in press releases... Taking it into a 'woodsy industrial' direction. Thank God THAT didn't happen.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-29 11:04 pm   Permalink

Went again last Sunday afternoon. Some large pieces carved by Bosco have been added since our last visit. Hasty (owner) is going all out to make the Royal Hawaiian a great tiki destination. I love this place!
Mahalo Hasty.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-30 6:21 pm   Permalink

Here's some more of what I've been doing down at the Royal!

Awning looking towards the bar during the Bartender meeting this morning.
They're implementing a NEW Tiki Cocktail Program!

Custom 7'6" Bamboo Ben Tapa Outrigger Lamp

Before simple

After simple

The lobby is almost complete. Pics of that soon.......

ALOHA!

Bamboo Ben

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-05 11:04 pm   Permalink

Went by Last night. Bosco has some awesome new pieces on display. Wish I had my camera with me. Hasty has a serious tiki palace going at the R. H.
Cheers

CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-30 4:39 pm   Permalink

Dropped in last night and had a chance to sample the new cocktail menu. Jason from 320 Main appears to have done a very nice job in updating the program. A lot more classics are on the menu now, some with tasty new twists. His take on the Mai Tai is essentially a 1944 with an over-proof Demarara in the mix and a touch of pineapple juice (The joint is the "Royal Hawaiian" after all...) It's very full-flavored but still nicely balanced. A bit pricey at $13 but I have seen far worse cost-for-quality ratios. I didn't get a chance to sample the updated Lapu Lapu but I will assume that it is an improvement over the previous blend. (Kind of a bold gamble to update their signature drink and I give them points for their chutzpah.)

All of Bamboo Ben's recent work is really simply stellar, and while I still can't say that the place is "fully tiki," they seem to be wholeheartedly putting an honest effort into being a perfectly decent "tiki-esque" destination. (They were even playing some choice exotica in the bar area before the live-music started.)

I recommend folks who were previously put off to give them another chance if they happen to be in the area and have some decent cash to spend.

[ This Message was edited by: CosmoReverb 2017-06-30 16:41 ]

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation