FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Sam's Seafood, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Sam's Seafood, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-29 2:26 pm   Permalink

Here is how Sam's looked last night. My drink was tasty but wasn't shaken, call me a purist but an unshaken mai tai?
It was such a relief though to see a place like this regardless of my mai tai. After the images of the new Las Vegas Trader Vic's that are still burned into my retina, I'll drink to Sam's.
It's nice knowing that places like this still exist in the world.
Last night when I walked around the open and closed rooms there, I thought to myself, "Yep, this is what its all about."
I got the same vibe at the old BH Trader Vic's that I was getting here. Dark, romantic and exciting. It has that tiki palace feel to me. The dark closed banquet rooms held more surprises and there are probably outdoor areas I can explore next time. I was surprised at how cool this place is. If they would just shake their Mai Tai and unpaint a few tiki, they would be perfect.
(Dear Sam's, they have great paint strippers that don't hurt the wood under the paint. Just think about it please?)

(

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-29 15:28 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-30 10:41 am   Permalink

Good to Finally meet you sir, and good job documenting the New Sam's.
I'm not 100% happy with it either.
But its cool to have it at all.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 12:44 am   Permalink

Kona last Saturday

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 10:42 am   Permalink

thanks for the pics.
Ojaitimo, good work man,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 4:33 pm   Permalink

Went to Kona's last Friday night for dinner. Glad to see everything pretty much the same as it's been. They still need to get some help from Beach Bum Berry. The Navy Grog tasted like a Marriott Mai Tai.... I'm willing to guess that that is how the Zombie tastes and the scorpion tastes and all of the other drinks taste. How do these places screw that up so badly?? Can we donate a book from Berry to them? Also, stay away from the seared ahi.... I've had it twice there and both times I haven't finished it.

Other than that, it's still good to have the place standing. The wait staff were friendly and there was some reggae band in the bar playing... I'll go back.

Oh, and the Sam's letters are off the Marlin now. It's just painted a solid blue. Looks strange without it saying "Sam's"...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 12:40 pm   Permalink

Thought you guys might like this..the changing of the guards....err uuhh changing of the signs.
Tikiyaki, Squid and I stopped by for some food just at the time they were changing the sign

Sam's Seafood officially becomes Kona:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-10 12:40, Digitiki wrote:

Is the dot after the A in KONA the fish eye, or a registered trademark? Looks odd. I'll have to drive by tonight and check it out.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-11 14:38, Jason Wickedly wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-10 12:40, Digitiki wrote:

Is the dot after the A in KONA the fish eye, or a registered trademark? Looks odd. I'll have to drive by tonight and check it out.

Oh no, it's an eye for sure.

Funny, whomever measured the sign, mismeasured, cos the letters are bigger than the fish.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-30 08:53 am   Permalink

Just found a photostream of the old Sam's before the remodel.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DSam%2527s%2BSeafood%26ni%3D18%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26xargs%3D0%26pstart%3D1%26b%3D109&w=500&h=375&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F111%2F288081707_d2205ed48a.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F13536285%40N00%2F288081707%2F&size=110.5kB&name=Sam%27s+Seafood%2C+Seal+Beach%2C+Monticello+Apts.%2CHuntin...&p=Sam%27s+Seafood&type=JPG&oid=8d608cbfcb5d22b8&fusr=3+Strikes&tit=Sam%27s+Seafood%2C+Seal+Beach%2C+Monticello+Apts.%2CHuntin...&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F13536285%40N00%2F&no=118&tt=491&sigr=11kqsnu2a&sigi=11eeh4cmv&sigb=13htkdhhr&sigh=11aa21hdu

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-01 4:00 pm   Permalink

Showed up to Kona for the happy hour. Prices were good, but the mixed drinks were terrible. Syrupy sweet that made me want to switch to beer immediately. Someone needs to help them with their mixology skills. AFTER switching to beer, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The cheeseburger sliders were insanely delicious. The "kalua" pork sliders were good, but nowhere in Hawaii will you find kalua pig with bbq sauce.
The biggest plus for this place is the decor and friendly staff. I really hope it survives 'cause there were only two tables in the dining room occupied.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 10:07 pm   Permalink

Drinks are always the hardest part is seems.
why won't some old places do the homework and make some real, old school tropical drinks?

the books are out there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 10:17 pm   Permalink

I've had mixed feelings about this place but the people are trying hard and doing a great job on a lot of things.

I know a few people here live close...how about asking to work a couple days a week behind the bar? I'd give that person the largest tips ever!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 3:45 pm   Permalink

I sure do love looking at all the eye candy in these old photos of Sam's Seafood. The patina on all the old Tikis, Tapa, Matting and Bamboo looks so cool and really seems to transport you back in time to a truly authentic Tiki establishment!

I love this photo of Sam's:

It almost sums up the whole experience!

I didn't see too many pieces (if any) of specific Sam's Seafood collectible items on here. I am missing another thread? I see them spread out in Collecting Tiki sometimes. Maybe we could get some people to post pictures of their items here. Anybody got a GOOD picture of the Tiki mug that they used to sell in the old gift shop?? If anybody has anything specifically from Sam's, it would be cool to get it on here.

I saw this drink menu probably from the 1980's the other day:

Here is an old postcard from the 1950's which is pre-tiki but does show the location on the Pacific Coast Highway and their great original sword fish sign:

Here are two matchbooks I have. The one on the left is pre-tiki which is from the 1950's and before the remodel which I think was done in 1960. The one on the right is from the 1960's:

Notice that you can see the addition of "Hawaiian Village" and the Tiki in their artwork on the booklet on the right. This is the same Tiki logo that was there mug and on their bowls.

Here is a great postcard from Sabu The Coconut Boy of Sam's Gift Shop:

You can see the very rare Tiki mug that may have been exclusively available at Sam's Seafood. Also, the even rarer matching Tiki Bowl with 3 Tikis and a volcano in the center which appears on the bottom left of the photo. These were probably made by a Ceramic company called Spurlin which is known for other custom ceramic pieces.

And here they are on their menu:

A little closer shot:

Here is a picture of the brown Fogcutter shaped mug almost in the center of that photo:

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-06-20 16:05 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 4:03 pm   Permalink

I wanted to get these mugs on here as they are cool designs and represent an old Tiki establishment.
Not an old Sam's Seafood item, but still one not the least, is this Tiki mug that was designed by Sam Gambino and produced by Tiki Farm:

A great Marquesan style Tiki with the cool sword fish on the reverse. This mug was debuted on August 4, 2007.

Sam's also had this mug which is a Maori design and was based on the old mug that was shown in the previous post. A great design!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 9:18 pm   Permalink

addios Sam's, and Kona,
Here's to a bigger and Better Place.
Don the Beachcomber.

Jeff(btd)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation