FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Sam's Seafood, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Sam's Seafood, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 4:14 pm   Permalink

Yeh Jeff, you are right!! Don's is great and it's awesome that Sam's was pretty much saved (building and collection wise) by Don's, but Sam's sure had been a huge part of the scene and culture for many years and probably inspired alot of other Tiki themed restaurants over the years.
We gotta remember it for what it was and had been.

Here's another shot of a matchbook cover:

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-22 08:45 am   Permalink

Long Live Sam's Seafood !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 7:54 pm   Permalink

A few more items from Sam's Seafood from my collection.

Here is another postcard, an even older version than the one Taboo Dan posted.

A few more matchbook types.

This one is interesting in that it advertised franchises and the back of the matchbook has a new place called Sam's Treasure Chest restaurant.

The full picture of the gift shop postcard.

I love the quote on the back of the card: If it swims, we have it!

And finally the souvenir menu.

Such a great thing that Don's is there now.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 6:39 pm   Permalink

Absolutely fantastic historical artifacts DC. Well done. I especial like the "Sea Burgers 19 cents" sign and the first post card. It almost looks a little art decoish.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 12:51 pm   Permalink

Here is another really old pre-tiki matchbook from Sam's Seafood from ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-07 7:03 pm   Permalink

Check out this great, full-page newspaper ad from 1967. I wish I had the original paper or the original photo, but this still isn't too bad. I love the view of the old multi-tiered sign in front of Sam's and the fact that they had actual nails in the tiki's mouth for teeth:

I think the original Sam's forgot its original Creed.

I think if more Tiki Restaurants followed that Creed, they'd probably be more successful.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-07 8:43 pm   Permalink

Long Live Sam's Seafood !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 9:47 pm   Permalink

Great looking ad Sabu, the newspaper time machine is working overtime. That pic of the sign is great, different than the sign shown on the matchbook renderings. Thanks for posting.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-07 9:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks DC,

I also notice that the Swordfish sign is completely different than the current one. Wonder when they replaced it and wonder what happened to the older more realistic one?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PenTiki

Posted: 2010-10-21 1:14 pm   Permalink

I loved this place when I was a kid. Does anyone remember the bar across the street from Sams? It was at the base of a large water tower? My folks knew someone that worked there so we would go across the street and have a shirley temple while my mom had a Singapore Sling and my dad a draft while we waited for our table. Fun times.

View Profile of PenTiki Send a personal message to PenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 3:05 pm   Permalink

Perhaps Turc's? Here's a photo from last March of PCH during the extreme high tide where Dons (former Sams) is located and the water tower you were refering to.

[ This Message was edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2010-10-21 15:06 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 11:24 am   Permalink

This weekend, I found a whole bunch of vintage Sam's Seafood stuff when it looks to have been 'pre-tiki'. Maybe '40s or '50s judging by the prices? The turtle steak dinner is only $1.50!! ....wait a minute...turtle steak dinner??

And cocktails (no tiki drinks on the menu yet) are all around $.30.

$.15 for a beer?!

This envelope was also in the collection (which explains the fold line down the menu). Maybe it was a mailed promotional thing to drive business? Did they do that back then??

Business cards and matches were included as well

This was seperate from the collection and really cool, though I didn't end up buying it....yet.
Hand painted, camera ready art for some sort of promotional use.

Pretty cool to see Sam's before it underwent the tiki transformation. Even back then, the swordfish was on the roof!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 6:43 pm   Permalink

WOW! Great score, Spike. Definitely Pre WWII, judging by the cars.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 8:51 pm   Permalink

Spike,It looks like it's from the 30's judging from the prices & photos!!!!
And knowing the location was not Sam's til after Prohibition,Very nice find indeed.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 9:31 pm   Permalink

Thank you both!
I guess there was a Sam's in Corona del Mar too??

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation