[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Chisel Confusion and Questions
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Chisel Confusion and Questions
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 11:14 am   Permalink

Question to the carving folk.

All of the carved pieces I have posted on TC have been done with an inexpensive set of flat chisels. For most of the cuts the flat chisel works fine. There have been situations where I have needed to make curved or v cuts and have made do with what I have.

I would like to invest a modest sum in a set of gouges but have no idea where to start.

I have seen straight gouges of varying size and some with a crescent shaped blade. What would the scoop or crescent shaped gouges be used for or should I stick with the straight gouges.

I have seen some reasonably priced flat chisels on the web and locally but gouges all seem to be fairly expensive ($20 each and up) and always sold individually.

Are gouges different than lathe tools? Some of the lathe tools I have seen look just like a gouge?

Thanks

Monkeyman

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-07-30 18:18 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 11:44 am   Permalink

Good questions Monkeyman. I recieved a catalog from Lee Valley the other day and the amount of choices for chisels and carving tools has me more than slightly overwhelmed. Not to mention all the other things needed as well. Mallets, sharpening stones etc. A description of the basic tools would be a lot of help to the carvin' newbies.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 2:39 pm   Permalink

You should purchase a GOOD (quality very important)3/8 60 degree straight parting tool, a 1/2" #11 bent gouge, a 1" #7 bent gouge, and a set of small palm tools. The scoops work when cleaning out deep relief, but you won't use them often. The three above and the palm tools will give you tons of capability.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 3:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks BK. Your input is totally appreciated!

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 3:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks BK. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Would these sized chisels you mention be appropriate for small work or is that the size you would use to carve a pole?

Monkeyman

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 4:15 pm   Permalink

D, look on sears.com for the robert sorby set of carving tools. About $130+.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 4:56 pm   Permalink

So what can I expect to spend on a good draw knife?

[ This Message was edited by: pele on 2003-07-30 18:40 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 5:08 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-07-30 18:19 ]

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 6:11 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: pele on 2003-07-30 18:41 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 7:59 pm   Permalink

On the first point, the reason for buying the medium to large sized parting tool and gouge (and a steeper pitched gouge at that) is that you can use those two to cut to any depth you want, shallow or deep. If they are too small or too large they don't give you as much flexibility on your cuts. Chiki is right, a good set of Sorby or Henry Taylor tools will make your life a hell of a lot easier. Both my draw knives are oldies, but I'd bet you could order a nice new one for about 30 bucks.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 10:02 pm   Permalink

I think a FLEXCUT draw knife would be good for palmwood. The deal is it will flex(bend). I use a modified HomeDepot machete, $10.00 and a little welding.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 10:22 pm   Permalink

I find drawknives at the flea markets for between $12 -$18... sometimes a little sharpening is in order... cheaper than I've seen them in the woodworking store...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 11:01 am   Permalink

Hey all, here are some prices on the chisels that BK recomended. This is out of the Lee Valley Catalog and are for the Henry Taylor brand

3/8 60 degree straight parting tool = $31.00

1/2" #11 bent gouge = $27.00

1" #7 bent gouge = $29.50

set of small palm tools (6 piece, Lee
Valley Brand) = $48.50

Draw knifes (various brands) = raged from $26.00-$40.00
So for around 180.00 bucks you can get set up with the BK reccomended tools which is still comparable to the kits you can buy that come with tools that you may not need. OF course sharpening stones and mallets are gonna add to that price.
I am still waiting for another catalog for a price comparison. I hope sombody out there finds this info useful.
And now for another question, How difficult is it to sharpen your own tools?
If you screw up are you going to thrash your tools?

Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-07-31 11:09 ]

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 12:07 pm   Permalink

Sharpening is a good question. I think I have figured out how to properely sharpen a flat chisel but how do you sharpen a gouge?

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 8:20 pm   Permalink

What was the name of that second Clint Eastwood movie with the monkey?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation