FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Chisel Confusion and Questions
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Chisel Confusion and Questions
bamzeno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 10:37 pm   Permalink

Any Which Way You Can

View Profile of bamzeno Send a personal message to bamzeno  Email bamzeno Goto the website of bamzeno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 11:24 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-08-01 00:08 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 11:48 pm   Permalink

Hey,

Any chance someone could post photos of these tools so I'd know what I'm looking for at garage sales? It'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-01 12:06 am   Permalink

Monkeyman... for sharpening gouges...

Cone Gouge Slipstones
The tapering concave and convex surfaces of these stones simplify the sharpening of gouges. The convex surface deburrs the inside edge and the concave surface the outside edge. Tapering shape provides proper stone width for every tool. Stones measure approximately 6" long. Large ends are 2" wide x 1" thick tapering to 1/2" wide. Oilstones are 1/2" thick and waterstones are 5/16" thick on small end.

Oil Stone Cone Gouge Set includes medium and fine Crystolon (silicon carbide abrasives) and fine India (aluminum oxide abrasives) stones.

Water Stone Cone Gouge Set includes man made, fast cutting aluminum oxide stones for sharpening and honing.

Other tools:
Drawknife

Flexcut tools

V-Part

Bent Gouge

The Henry Taylor set I have...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-08-01 00:19 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-01 10:42 am   Permalink

Spy-tiki, get yurself one of the free catalogs from Lee Valley.com. They are a great reference source.
BK, is that how you sharpen your gouges "Every which way you can?"

Clint: "He's not a baboon Ma, He's an Orangutan. He has 12 ribs"
Ma: 12 ribs my ass! That god damn baboon ate all my Oreo cookies"
Love those movie, even though it has the typical biker stereotype that Eastwood exploits in a lot of his films.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-08-01 10:49 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-05 1:50 pm   Permalink

I laid down some coin for a nice set of gouges last weekend....

Amazing what a difference it makes to have good tools. I always have known that good tools are expensive for a reason but you never realize how much it helps until you try the old crap first and then try your shiny new tools.

Clean cuts, minimal effort. Now I just need to learn how to properly sharpen them.

I am currently working on projects for Gecko, Dr. Z, Midnite Tiki, Tikitony, and Tikifish. I will post pics as I complete them.

Monkeyman

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-12 1:50 pm   Permalink

hey Lakersufer, i wanted to know where you got this set of chisels and how they were. i was think of getting a higher quality chisel set.

Hey BK you said you need a good palm set would you consider Lee Valley's brand a good quality set or is there another brand that you think is better.

thanks

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-12 5:02 pm   Permalink

Well I finally clicked submit and put my chisel order into Lee Valley. They have stated in their catalog that the individual chisels require a final sharpening and final honing. Any suggestions on where to take them for this. This is something I would like to learn to do so I was thinking about picking up some cheap chisels to practice on. I dont want to screw around with the Henry Taylors.
Octane, I ordered the Henry Taylor basic palm set. The price wasn't bad.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-08-12 23:10 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-12 10:34 pm   Permalink

Octane... got it at my local Woodcraft store... you can find them on the web at www.woodcraft.com

The Henry Taylor tools require honing before using... right now my local store is offering a free honing for every Henry Taylor... and now that the employees know me I can sneak in a free sharpening now and then if I buy something...

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-21 5:44 pm   Permalink

I found this article on sharpening and found it very interesting and helpful. It definately took some of the mystique out of the sharpening mystery.

http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/HelpFiles/SharpeningMessages.html

Also, Heavy props to a cat named Roberto doing customer service over at Lee Valley. The guy is totally helpful and knowledgable. He took the time to get me going in the right direction and assured me it just takes a little practice and experimenting with different techniques and sharpening materials.
I wish I had talked to him before I took my new tools to a "tool Sharpener" who put them against a belt sander for a few seconds and charged me $10.00.

Chongolio the still not so sharp

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 07:40 am   Permalink

Here is a good post about chisels and gouges for you new carvers

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 10:25 am   Permalink

On behalf of the rookies I say thanks to everyone that has helped us out. I bought a cheap set of chisels and just started banging away. A little insight for all of you has helped alot.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 6:18 pm   Permalink

I'm bumping this ol' thread up because I found it helpful and figured others would, too.

I just bought a couple Henry Taylor gouges at Woodcrafter (30% off all Henry Taylors while supplies last - at least at MY Woodcrafter that's the case). I just bought two that I thought would be most helpful, knowing nothing more about them. Somebody in the store mentioned a book that detailed all the various styles of carving chisels and that the numbers (#4, etc) were standardized and not brand-specific. I didn't catch the name but figured I could find similar info online. So far, no luck.

Anybody know what they were talking about? I'd love to see a reference to chisel profiles and what they're meant for.

Thanks!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 8:43 pm   Permalink

I think you carvers looking for gouges should spend some time with a carver who uses a lot of various sized gouges. You can see the tools at work, feel them at work and maybe use them at work. We need a carving seminar or something like that. Sharpening chisels, gouges, v-liners, fluteronis, veiners and fish tail gouges, can be frustrating. I have copy of a sharpening dvd I got from the local carving club that is excellent. I started passing a few around. if anyone knows where they are, perhaps they could move around some more. ..

For basic carving you will only need a handfull of tools, Hell, some of the 3rd world carvers have only 1 to3 carving tools, A Knife, a chisel and a gouge. and they are doing museum class work.

Turning tools are Not good for carving and carving tools are Not great for turning. .

You will spend a lot of money on gouges you will rarely use and thats a fact. If you buy sets, you will end up with More tools you never use. those are facts.

So you can start buying a bunch of tools you like and after a year sell all the ones you never used. Or do what you are doing9Research) and purchase a tool here and another there and just get one when you think you need it. We can give you ideas for tools to buy based on your carving style and size but you have to need it before you will use it

MonkeyMan, your carving wll require you 2 different sizes of tools since I see your art covers large and small.
Don't rush in. you have been carving awhile and you have tools thet work. just research and pick up tols as you find them.
I hope this helps. Just learn to ask pointed questions about specific carving delemmas and what tools to solve it.

Thats enuf for now , more later.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 11:18 pm   Permalink

Cool thread. Ive got a set of 4 flat chisels, but havent attacked any wood yet. My mates got some good wood for me though. Cant wait to have a crack. Probaly not until the new year, but Ill post plenty of pics.

Thanks for all the tips peoples!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation