FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Golden Tiki, Las Vegas, NV (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Golden Tiki, Las Vegas, NV (bar)
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-02 12:55 pm   Permalink

Just drove by

Can't see in the front

Lots going on inside
View from back

Can't wait for a new spot to enjoy...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Can't wait for a new spot to enjoy...

A few new pictures on the Golden Tiki facebook page. Looks pretty good! Ill be there in Oct (first time in Vegas!)

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2015-07-03 15:48 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-07 12:02 am   Permalink

I think I may have to join you Dagg. Sounds soooo good

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carolineno

Posted: 2015-07-08 11:56 am   Permalink

Just found out about this place opening. Happily I am going to be in Vegas Aug 2-5, so if it opens I will report back.

Anyone find a menu/drink list yet?

View Profile of carolineno Send a personal message to carolineno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2015-07-08 12:17 pm   Permalink

Golden Tiki article in the Las Vegas Weekly:
http://lasvegasweekly.com/nightlife/2015/jul/07/golden-tiki-bar-chinatown-cocktail-spring-mountain/

THE GOLDEN TIKI AIMS TO REMOVE YOU FROM REALITY—AND SERVE A GREAT MAI TAI

Mike Prevatt , Tue, July 7, 2015

It’s not done yet, but a pre-opening tour of the Golden Tiki demonstrated its transportive powers. There’s a lava cave, a waterfall highlighting Headhunter’s Village, a trading post for souvenirs, a performance/DJ platform called Mermaid’s Cove and a lair for pirate captain William Tobias Faulkner (more on him in a bit).

Aside from the forthcoming tiki idol with the big schlong—a Vegas touch, surely—the bar and its contents evoke the comprehensive, time-freezing escapism of Disneyland. Such fantastical places have been an inspiration to Branden Powers, entrepreneur, club-industry veteran and managing partner of the Golden Tiki. Whether as a 6-year-old who envisioned a performing-robots-meets-pizza concept two years, he says, before Chuck E. Cheese’s, or as a rave promoter in Southern California, Powers always flexed his imagination to suspend reality.

“When [ravers] had to drive two hours on top of mountaintops, you had to buy into the vision,” Powers says. “You’re going into the enchanted land of Narnia. And that’s what I’ve been really good at creating. I’m not Walt Disney, but I admire what Disney has done. And I do incorporate that into my events, my bars, my Halloween parties.”

Enchantment is an apt word to describe the potential vibe of the Golden Tiki, the 4,000-square-foot Chinatown bar that used to be Little Macau, but now comprises four themed areas that align with the Powers-penned backstory about Faulkner and his fateful visit to Flaming Skull Island. (Powers will finally get his animatronic character in the form of a talking Faulkner skeleton.) To establish an immersive atmosphere, various props and artifacts were sought—including some from a certain theme park’s Haunted Mansion and the Indiana Jones film franchise—as were craftsmen and artists to create a legit tiki haven (including renowned designer/carver Tiki Diablo). LED-filled ceilings and niche DJs will add to the ambiance when the bar opens July 24, with vaudeville/cabaret-style entertainment and food offerings to follow.

It sounds like a slam dunk for tourists, who will be close thanks to its Strip-adjacent, Chinatown location—an area Powers feels is loaded with nightlife potential. But according to manager/venue mixologist/artist Jeffrey Alexander, formerly of the Cosmopolitan’s Vesper Bar, the Golden Tiki will actively court service-industry folk, working stiffs and other locals looking for a comfortable place to have a drink. “We want people to get off work and come here to relax,” he says.

Because locals have become more discerning about their beverages—as are tiki-culture loyalists, who might dismiss an establishment if traditions aren’t properly upheld—the drink program is well-considered. Around 15 cocktails make up the menu, including original concoctions and tiki classics like mai tais, plus craft beers, tea service and Dole whips.

The project has been about a year in the making, bar owners Jeff Fine, Seth Schorr and Joe Cain—all principals of Fifth Street Gaming—approaching Powers about ideas for refreshing the space, and Powers immediately placing a tiki concept at the top of his brainstorm. It’s one he’s intimately familiar with. After a stint as a lounge DJ, he promoted parties in the mid-1990s at the old Hanalei Hotel tiki bar in San Diego before graduating to large-scale parties. Though Powers is quick to credit his staff with piecing together Golden Tiki, it’s his relentless creativity that dreamed it up in the first place. And his directive is simple: remove you from the real world and take you elsewhere.

“Tiki Diablo said it best the other day: ‘Tiki bars are time machines,’” Powers says. “When you enter the front doors, you’re going to be teleported to another time. … You’re coming to Flaming Skull Island.”

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2015-07-08 12:18 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Golden Tiki

Posted: 2015-07-09 8:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha Everyone -

So sorry I haven't been able to post .. things at the Island have been crazy. We had a Cannibal Uprising. Monkeys stole our equipment. It's been one thing after the other. But, I assure you , when you see this place you are going to love it. Tiki Diablo has really outdone himself this time. Reception here is bad. If you want more pics please check out
www.thegoldentiki.com (can you find the hidden treasure?) and our facebook page The Golden Tiki

Oh.. and due to a tropical storm headed our way. We are moving the opening to July 24th - 8pm. You want to be on the docks ready for adventure. Don't miss this boat. It's a 3 hour tour.. and we all know how that goes. Especially with rum involved.

View Profile of The Golden Tiki Send a personal message to The Golden Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-10 11:23 pm   Permalink

Looking great inside
Can't wait
Max from Taboo Island working today

Looks great inside
Can't wait

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-11 12:38 am   Permalink

Thing just got a tad more interesting. Drink menu now live on the website... Can't be a bad thing if the navy grog "always" comes with an ice cone, right?

Golden Tiki
Jamaican Rum and Michters rye are blended with Apricot Liquor, ginger, mango and five spice syrup to create our new signature tiki cocktail.

Mai Tai
Trader Vic's classic, that was created in 1944. Jamaican and Martinique Rhum are mixed with Orange Curacao, fresh lime juice, Orgeat and simple syrups.

Navy Grog
Blends Navy Style, Jamaican dark and Puerto Rican light rums with lime juice, white grapefruit juice and honey syrup. *The Grog Ice Cone is always included.

Three Dots and a Dash
One of Don the Beachcomber's classics. Combines Agricole Rhum with a Demerera Rum from Guyana, along with honey syrup, Velvet Falernum, Allspice, lime and Angostua bitters.

Zombie
The original version, using Jamaican, gold Puerto Rican, and 151 Demerera rums. Falernum, lime juice, Don's mix, Pernod, bitters and grenadine round out this potent libation.

Painkiller
First created in the British virgin Islands. Contains a numbing portion of Pusser's Rum, fresh orange juice, coconut cream and Dole pineapple whip, topped with fresh ground nutmeg.

Jungle Bird
First crafted at the Kuala Lumpur Hilton, at the Aviary bar. Jamaican rum is combined with pineapple juice, Campari, lime juice and a touch of cinnamon.

Hotel Nacional
Havavana's delicious daiquiri variation. Contains Cana Brava Rum, Apricot Liquor, Cane syrup, Pineapple Juice and bitters.

Banana Batida
Avua Cashaca is mixed with banana liquor, coconut cream and Dole pineapple whip, blended, and topped with grated nutmeg. Creating a delicious variation of this classic Brazilian cocktail.

Kalani's Sunrise
Anejo and Mexcal tequila's are combined with honey syrup, pineapple and home made pomegranate grenadine with a hint of ginger.

Hemingway's Ruin
Don'sMix, composed of cinnamon and grapefruit, is added to Cana Brava rum, Maraschino Liquor and lime juice to create a delicious Hemingway variation.

Polynesian Haze
Derived from the Fog Cutter classic. Cuban and Jamaican Rums are combined with St Georges Gin, Ximenez Sherry, lemon juice and orgeat syrup. Galiano, lemongrass and mango are substituted to create a new palette of tiki goodness.

Dark n Stormy
Jamaican Rum combined with ginger beer and touch of lime, falernum and spice.

Bamboozle'd
Agricole rum is mixed with Chareau Aloe Liquor, Clement Creole Shrub, cane syrup and pineapple juice, with a hint of Thai Basil. The result is a sweet and savory tiki delight.

Honey-Mango Java Punch
Aged rum from Trinidad is mixed with Jamaican Overproof, orange and passion fruit juices. Honey mango syrup and coffee liquor complete this cocktail, with a dash of fresh ground cinnamon.

Kahuna Swizzle
Martinique Rhum, Green Chartruese, Ximenez Sherry, pineapple juice, Velvet Falernum, and a dash of bitters combine for a new tiki experience.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Golden Tiki

Posted: 2015-07-11 09:18 am   Permalink

let us know what you think of our drink menu above...good ? Bad ? Anything missing ? Speak now or forever hold your peace (well at least until the next set of menus arrives at the Island) this is your bar , your experience . We are just here to serve, and make sure your fantasy is all you ever wanted

P.S if a drink isn't listed our bar guides will take and make any request. We've found a crate of recipes from some previous inhabitant of the Island known as The Beachbum ???

P.S.S forgot to tell you .. We will be serving Dole Whip. Dole Floats with or without Rum are amazing!!!

View Profile of The Golden Tiki Send a personal message to The Golden Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-11 8:44 pm   Permalink

This announcement has made a trip to Las Vegas move up on my to-do list!

Love the drinks on the list and the whole concept is amazing. Can't wait to hear reports from Jon and others when it opens!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-07-13 08:47 am   Permalink

That drink list looks really good! And I'm a tiki drink snob! Will you also have a selection of sipping rums?

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-13 08:57 am   Permalink

That's a pretty comprehensive list. How about adding a Chief Lapa-Lapu to the menu?

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2015-07-13 08:57 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Golden Tiki

Posted: 2015-07-15 12:17 am   Permalink

Re: Sipping Rums

Captain William Tobias Faulkner's private reserve aged barrels are littered about the Island . So far we have a sweet little collection of Grog , Kill Devil , Rumbullion and the such . We just tapped one open and it was as delicious as the day he stole it.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-15 11:29 am   Permalink

I always liked the drinks at Vesper, even stayed at that hotel just to be close to it the last time I was out that way.

Looks like a great drink menu, lots of my favorites. Since you asked I wouldn't mind a Saturn when I make it out that way, whether it is on or off menu

Seems like quite a few people came together to make the Golden Tiki into a soon to be Vegas staple. I am excited for my next trip to see what it has to offer.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-07-15 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-15 11:29, lunavideogames wrote:
I always liked the drinks at Vesper, ...

...Since you asked I wouldn't mind a Saturn when I make it out that way, whether it is on or off menu

I too am a huge fan of the drinks at Vesper (it was those damned bar stools I hated)! And the Saturn is in my top favorite cocktails, made with gin or even a white rum like Cana Brava!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation