FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotica Broadcast from Melbourne, Australia
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Exotica Broadcast from Melbourne, Australia
portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-05-22 09:04 am   Permalink

Hey Mid-Century Music Lovers,

I present a weekly broadcast from Australia's finest community radio station (PBS FM)!

I describe my program "Ports of Paradise" as a midcentury melting pot of sophisticated sounds from the golden age of exotica ... including jungle jazz, tribal percussion, Latin rhythms, early Calypso, cocktail lounge, stereophonic showpieces, space-age symphonies, and tropical island swing.

If you'd like to check it out, there are playlists and a program archive at the following location:

http://www.pbsfm.org.au/portsofparadise

The above page also includes a link to my Facebook page, if you'd like to receive reminders for future broadcasts.

If you can figure out the time difference to your location, you could also stream live from the PBS website. My program broadcasts every Friday morning from 9-11am (AEST) in Melbourne, Australia.

PBS has heaps of other great programs you can investigate too.

Mahalo and I hope you enjoy!

Paddy

[ This Message was edited by: portsofparadise 2015-08-09 06:04 ]

View Profile of portsofparadise Send a personal message to portsofparadise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-02 4:42 pm   Permalink

I'll be sure to check it out when I get home from work. Here in Southern California, 106.7 FM is the radio station KROQ, a pretty iconic one at that.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-06 08:46 am   Permalink

The main theme for the latest broadcast is Space Travel and you can listen to it here http://pbsfm.org.au/node/45411.

The program also includes 30 minutes of vintage calypso, some bebop and beat jazz, plus all sorts of other mid-century obscurities.

Enjoy!

View Profile of portsofparadise Send a personal message to portsofparadise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-07 06:23 am   Permalink

Halfway through it. Good stuff!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-07 07:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-07 06:23, TikiHardBop wrote:

Thank you! Each broadcast includes four hours of music, so I like to hop between different genres ... mainly based around themes of exotic mid-century jazz.

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-07 11:07 am   Permalink

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-19 08:01 am   Permalink

The latest broadcast includes exotic sounds from Spain, a Calypsonian bed bug special, some moody latin jazz, a range of traditional Hawaiian music and Buddy Collette's strangely surreal Polynesian Suite.

Here's the audio archive link
http://pbsfm.org.au/node/45776 and thanks to those who streamed the program "live" from the other side of the planet!

portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-03 07:46 am   Permalink

Just as the witch doctor ordered ... moonlight magic and monkey mayhem now available at http://pbsfm.org.au/node/46222

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 08:49 am   Permalink

Is there any way that these can be downloaded and listened to on a different device? I don't have access to streaming at my workplace and I just don't have the time at home to listen to them.

portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-03 08:57 am   Permalink

Unfortunately not. According to our radio station policy, this could be regarded as distribution of music and a potential breach of copyright???

KonaKaiBaby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 09:44 am   Permalink

Hey portsofparadise. Just wanted to send thanks for the show. My husband and I have been listening to the archives in the evening, and really enjoying it!

Come on down to the Hokulani Lounge!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hokulani-Lounge/1110336148981097

View Profile of KonaKaiBaby Send a personal message to KonaKaiBaby  Email KonaKaiBaby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your feedback, KonaKaiBaby - I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the broadcast.

Good luck with your tiki lounge project. We have some pretty cool tiki themed bars here in Melbourne, but nothing "original" from the 1950s/60s unfortunately!

http://www.theluwow.com/

portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-17 10:44 am   Permalink

For anyone craving a Flight to Tokyo, the audio archive and playlist for the latest "Ports of Paradise" broadcast are now available at http://pbsfm.org.au/node/46637

And if you're into the Facebook thing https://www.facebook.com/portsofparadise

Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-21 02:20 am   Permalink

How did I miss this?

Some great programs on PBS already, Soul, R&B and Rockin Doo Wop,

What local time, Swami of the Smooth? I'll lift the fang on the tone arm cobra and swing the dial on the Stromberg Carlson your way!

[ This Message was edited by: Vonratnick 2015-07-21 02:30 ]

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
portsofparadise
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-22 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-21 02:20, Vonratnick wrote:
How did I miss this?

Some great programs on PBS already, Soul, R&B and Rockin Doo Wop,

What local time, Swami of the Smooth? I'll lift the fang on the tone arm cobra and swing the dial on the Stromberg Carlson your way!

[ This Message was edited by: Vonratnick 2015-07-21 02:30 ]

I like your turn of phrase, Vonratnick ... and it's great to hear from a discerning PBS listener!

In addition to my Kreisler Multisonic Stereogram, I also have a Stromberg Carlson unit.

My next broadcast is from 2am on Thursday 30th (Melbourne time) ... I look forward to your company!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation