FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Counterfeit Don the Beachcomber Tiki Mugs?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Counterfeit Don the Beachcomber Tiki Mugs?
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-02 12:53 pm   Permalink

"I've quietly cursed O***K many times for kicking my tiki bidding butt"

Har! I know.
Many people used to do the same.

AND I don't mind losing some, but dam to get clubbed every time with that huge wallet
just sucked, so I stopped trying.
Can't imagine the tons of tiki O***K has.
To be blessed with that kind of disposable income and blow it on tiki, going to be one hell of
an auction one day.

Any way it's much more fun to find tiki out in the wild or at an auction or sale nobody
knows about.
Did catch heck for not telling people about some sales, but what you going to do bring in more
bidders?
I did tell people after I got mines.

"We were sort of ruminating on the near impossibility that any of the things in the show could have survived all these years to make it there."

It's the stuff nobody thought to save that can be hard to find, like a bag from the Kahiki.
That and paper items as they do not last well.

Always thought it would be cool to know what the lifetime money a tiki mug could bring.
Like it sells for five bucks at first, then goes up to say $30.00 then all the way up to
say $500.00 only to end up selling for $10.00 dollars right before smashing to bits.

Such is the life of a collector.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jamoorea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-02 1:47 pm   Permalink

On the "Wild" - Man! Isn't that the truth? I got lazy for a while and was only looking at Ebay. And as you say, I'd get slammed or I was bidding WAY too much for something in an effort to compete.

And then I got back in to the wild and remembered how much fun that is. Often the best thing about this are the people you meet. Talking about where something came from, other stuff they've had or seen, etc.
(adding this: Can I also say, when you buy in the wild, the transaction is between you and the seller only. No bank or corporation is sniping a piece of the action.)

There was something I kept losing on Ebay… a photo folder from a Miami club I think. It kept going for over $300.00 bucks! Sheesh!

Then I went to a antique paper show and there is was - for $8.00.

You know, I totally agree about collecting ephemera. It's really satisfying to find things like the Kahiki bag - because you really might have the only one on earth that survived. I've built several portfolio style books of that kind of stuff and on top of the fact that they are so much easier to store and handle than mugs, flipping through a book like that is really satisfying. The things aren't just stuck in a box somewhere.

Interesting point about the money made and spent on a mug over it's lifetime (before it's smashed to bits - Ha!). Who was talking about this? Maybe this is a Sven Kirsten story or could be from Duke Carter's Tiki Quest book - about how dealers were throwing tiki mugs away when they'd find one in a box of stuff they'd bought because they had no value. When I started thinking about this stuff, there were Hawaiiana and Polynesiana collectors and they were mainly focused on wiggling hula girl dolls, wall decorations, light fixtures, rattan furniture, etc. I'd see tiki mugs, but they didn't really start showing up in a big way until Sven's first book came out. I think because they were "free" (not really of course, the drink was twice as much to get one) it took them a long time to have any perceived value. I do have an old Hawaiiana book from the 70's where they include a section on Hawaiian restaurant mugs, so collectors were aware of them.

[ This Message was edited by: Jamoorea 2015-07-02 14:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jamoorea 2015-07-02 14:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jamoorea 2015-07-02 15:00 ]

View Profile of Jamoorea Send a personal message to Jamoorea      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-02 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-02 07:20, tikiskip wrote:

Member Id: s***i( 722Feedback score is 500 to 999) US $560.00
May-28-15 16:26:34 PDT

Member Id: o***k( 1142Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $550.00
May-27-15 17:56:56 PDT

totally false... these "names" youre looking at are randomly generated by ebay. ask ebay yourself.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Email nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-02 8:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-02 07:04, tikiskip wrote:

But man is that the price of your integrity?
The problem with lying or being shifty is once people see you do this just once it's over
and you can never be trusted again.
To me a mug or most anything really is not worth putting that kind of label on myself, for life.

who is it im supposed to care about what they think of me? who is it that isnt going to trust me...people on this site who i really dont even know? sure is a tall order just because of the way i try to obtain items on ebay. if this is something i dont think twice about, obviously it is just fine for me. what might be right for you, might not be right for some but it takes different strokes..it takes different strokes to move the world!

*also, where did you get lying from? i never lie to sellers, i simply ask them if they will take an offer

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2015-07-02 21:24 ]

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Email nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-02 11:14 pm   Permalink

"totally false... these "names" youre looking at are randomly generated by ebay. ask ebay yourself."

Well not being in the eBay game anymore it may be that it changed but it used to be that they would take two letters from your eBay name and that would be a clue as to who bid on these items, that and the
big history numbers.
o***k has a bid history of close to 5000, Hummm who could that be?
Bet he has an "o" and a "k" in his eBay name.

"*also, where did you get lying from? i never lie to sellers, i simply ask them if they will take an offer"

Well here what I said was lying or being shifty.
For me asking if a seller will take an offer falls under the being shifty part of that statement.

Look it's a sale, the terms are clear, runs for so many days, here's the starting bid, highest bid wins, we all know how it works.

Will you take x amount is not part of how an eBay running auction works.
That's called a buy it now type auction, if this was a buy it now auction I give you my apologies.

Don't get all pissed, some think that it's ok, some don't.
It's falls down to an interpretation of the rules on an eBay auction.
If you feel what you did is ok, and don't care what others think, don't get bent over it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 01:52 am   Permalink

yea those names are not real. generated to protect members privacy.

aint nobody bent here, certainly not me but as i said, there isnt any lying going on. and i get what youre saying about "thats not how a running auction works" but if a seller whats to deal off the site or make changes, thats on them. ive had plenty of sellers over the years suggest paypal invoices to avoid paying ebays fees. is it undermining the whole process? absolutely but it happens all the time.

reminds me of a story from a year ago or so. stolen disney property on ebay. 3 different costumes. captain hook, a lion king character and king louie from jungle book (all walk into a bar, jk). someone in france had obviously stolen these costumes as they were paris disneyland costumes. they were listed at 20,000.00 each i believe. i called ebay and asked them what kind of protection would i receive if i paid 20k and didnt get the item. they said of course i would get a refund. what i didnt understand was, the seller now is 20k richer and ebay is out 20k. i asked them if they press any kind of theft charges and they stated that they do not. at best there would be some kind of "collections". i guess the point im trying to make is, if they dont bat an eye over $20,000, they surely are not going to pursue selling fees and ban members for "lying and being shifty". see what i did there?

....they dont care, nobody cares, this has been happening for years and will always be. if anyone reading this thread is that bothered by these things, the only thing i can think of to do is be a whistle blower of sorts. contact members selling items that you think or know are worth X amount and educate them on the value. advise them to accept various offers or ride it out but not to cancel their listings and accept someones offer. sounds time consuming to me but hey, knowledge is power.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-03 06:00 am   Permalink

"they surely are not going to pursue selling fees and ban members for "lying and being shifty"."

Well I did not think eBay would have eBay cops come and get buyers / sellers or even punish
people at all, I get that.
Heck I even said "This makes eBay a partner in crime really"

But what I was talking about is a line you set for yourself and say this is the kind of thing I will do,
and this is a kind of thing I will not do.

If it is a fear of some kind of punishment is the thing holding you back
from doing whatever is needed to get an item then yes I think you will be fine.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 4:21 pm   Permalink

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-04 01:21 am   Permalink

....i just realized who o***k actually is....

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2015-07-04 01:23 ]

Jamoorea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-05 12:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-02 23:14, tikiskip wrote:

Look it's a sale, the terms are clear, runs for so many days, here's the starting bid, highest bid wins, we all know how it works.

Will you take x amount is not part of how an eBay running auction works.
That's called a buy it now type auction, if this was a buy it now auction I give you my apologies.

There it is. Can't say it better than that.

And this I also like - by refusing to use Ebay Tikiskip is saying "I don't like it - so I'm not going to participate".
This isn't just about tiki mugs and people who game the Ebay system for their own selfish benefit.
This is everywhere, in everything today.

Don't wait for some enforcer to fix it or some rule to be administered. Stop participating, because when you participate, you are complicit.

To return to the original issue - I know I seem to be the only one in here that feels these stupid DTB mugs are a waste of good ceramic - but leave them to these rich idiots who are willing to throw 1000 bucks away on them. I guarantee you, if you want them, search a little in the wild and you'll find them for a dollar.

View Profile of Jamoorea Send a personal message to Jamoorea      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-05 07:18 am   Permalink

"by refusing to use Ebay Tikiskip is saying "I don't like it - so I'm not going to participate".

I do need to come clean on that one I do use eBay just don't look at the
tiki stuff anymore as the stuff I would want mostly goes to the same person
9 out of 10 times.

If I needed a part for my Hobart dishwasher from the 1940s or some odd thing, man eBay is the
place.
BUT I try to buy the stuff others are not looking at to make tiki.
You can still find on eBay even with shipping great stuff.

I also sell on eBay, not as much lately.

EBay has this crappy the buyer is always right attitude that blows.
The fact is the seller is eBay's customer and they should treat their customer (the seller)
with more respect or they will find they have lots of buyers with not many sellers.
The system eBay now has is one where the seller is the whore for eBay the pimp really.

And eBay gets paid in so many ways for the sale.
They get the selling fees and the Pay Pal fees, this is why you can't have insurance for
your sale in the final sale price as eBay could not charge a percent for insurance costs.
So insurance is good for the buyer, but since we can't make a dime on it it's out.

I do like those mugs though, they are cool.
Plus eBay and TC give you a way to see stuff you never knew was out there in the first place.

Jamoorea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-05 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

EBay has this crappy the buyer is always right attitude that blows.

And eBay gets paid in so many ways for the sale.

The Mother of Invention.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-05 8:34 pm   Permalink

you guys keep talking about this "in the wild" stuff.... maybe in CA but thats not reality in florida. thats a lot of time and resources spent going to yard sales, estate sales, auctions, thrift stores etc and 99.9% of the time you will get 0 tiki. chances might be a tad higher on the west coast of florida but thats a long ass haul to go thrift shopping and for what? most likely will turn up nothing. surely you must know that thrift stores and the like have people on staff that take all the good stuff first and do whatever it is they do with it. all the high end collectibles never see the store floor.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-06 11:58 am   Permalink

Dam in Fla you got tons of old people who tend to die now and then.
Plus they have kids that don't want that tiki crap.
Would think that you are in one of the best places of all.

And sure you never, well almost never see good tiki in a thrift store.
You need to go to estate sales and garage sales.
And when you go on vacation stop at places.

It can be years between a really good find so it does take time.

If you got the cash eBay it, man that's what money is for.
I just got to a point in time where I had too much tiki, it all started to cost too much,
And what I did bid on I did not win too much.

You need to love looking for stuff to do it the hard way.
If you don't like looking and hunting for stuff then it's not for you.

My wife and I enjoy looking at flea markets and antique stores, plus don't let the
name antique store throw you off they got some cheap crap in there too.

Tikidavid would find Witcos and water skis ALL the time for next to nothing.
And that's how he did it.
Hunting ALL the time , as he loved to hunt tiki.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-06 2:04 pm   Permalink

Yea that's not really my thing. I dislike even going to the grocery store

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation