FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Counterfeit Don the Beachcomber Tiki Mugs?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Counterfeit Don the Beachcomber Tiki Mugs?
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-06 9:28 pm   Permalink

this thread has hit over 2000 views..you know what that means..

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Email nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jamoorea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-07 3:52 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the "rich idiots" comment. I was in a bad mood that day. And I have been one myself (or acted like one) - paying WAY more than I should for a few things i just couldn't find otherwise.
And both Tikiskip and Nomeus are right about "wild" shopping. I think I fall in the middle. I can do it once a year maybe - then not again for a long while. I don't much like shopping of any kind either - especially when i have no idea what I'm looking for or whether I'll find it.
Ebay, admittedly is great for that. I just need to get a better job or put into play my foolproof Lottery plan.

View Profile of Jamoorea Send a personal message to Jamoorea      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaKaiBaby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-07 4:24 pm   Permalink

Yeah, we are definitely tiki-on-a-budget folks, but sadly we have to rely on eBay for almost everything concerning tiki culture. There is just no tiki in the wild in Vermont. I get all giddy if I find some monkeypod or bamboo accessories...yeah, it's that bad. My husband and I are very experienced flea market/thrift shop hunters, and we love searching for buried treasure, but tiki around here? Fuggedaboutit. So eBay here I come...

Come on down to the Hokulani Lounge!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hokulani-Lounge/1110336148981097

View Profile of KonaKaiBaby Send a personal message to KonaKaiBaby  Email KonaKaiBaby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-08 05:27 am   Permalink

All of the rest of the tiki stuff from Kahiki is in Vermont or at least
it was.
May have moved.

AND one of the people that got lots of Kahiki had a shop in Vermont where he sold tiki.

The Frankoma War God tiki mug I found was in an Amish looking hop outside of
Chicago.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaKaiBaby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-08 05:48 am   Permalink

Thanks! Afraid it must all be gone now. We've looked pretty much in every shop & flea market around this region. But that info is encouraging and incentive to never give up & keep hitting those yard sales! It must have gone somewhere!

View Profile of KonaKaiBaby Send a personal message to KonaKaiBaby  Email KonaKaiBaby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaKaiBaby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-08 05:51 am   Permalink

Oh, I bet it was Phin in Burlington who got a lot of the stuff. It's right up his alley. But he closed his fabulous junktiques shop a couple of years ago. But maybe I'll shoot him a message & see if he still has anything in storage. Thanks again!

Bumboo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-08 09:57 am   Permalink

First time, long time. I've really learned a lot from this community over the last five years-- especially on the cocktail front. So thank you all. But I couldn't resist sharing the heartbreaking way in which the story of these mugs ends...

The box in the photo is what they were shipped in. I asked for bubble wrap and peanuts-- explained that these were rare historical items, and they were instead shipped with a single layer of tissue paper, loose foam, and a thin non-corrugated box. Unbelievable. And naturally no insurance. I never wanted to be part of the "tiki mug misfortunes" thread, but I think this qualifies... The only good news is that my money was refunded and the one which is broken in half can be repaired and will display fine. But because of someone's carelessness, there are two less of these mugs in the world...

It's worth noting that all of the "would you accept ____?" side deals are in fact violations of eBay's rules, and worse than that, are not very sporting. Nomeus, if you'd just let the original auction run its course (I was the original $35 bidder), it would have been more fun, you probably would have won, and might have ended up with these broken shards yourself!

View Profile of Bumboo Send a personal message to Bumboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaKaiBaby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-08 10:04 am   Permalink

Oh how sad

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-08 10:12 am   Permalink

Isn't it ironic...

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilease
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-08 10:17 am   Permalink

So sorry for your loss : ( Can't believe how stuff gets sent...even when you've implored them to pack a certain way...Also think the end runs around fellow ebayers which has been the theme of this post is dickish and bereft of the Aloha spirit imo

View Profile of tikilease Send a personal message to tikilease      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-08 1:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-08 09:57, Bumboo wrote:
I never wanted to be part of the "tiki mug misfortunes" thread, but I think this qualifies...

Oh yes it does! Sorry to see this, I know that sickening sound of broken pieces rattling around when you pick up the box...

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-08 2:50 pm   Permalink

NOooooo!!

See yet another reason to find stuff in the wild and in person.
No shipping hassles!

I too think of this stuff as things I'm keeping / saving for the next gen of tiki.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jamoorea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-08 4:23 pm   Permalink

Man! Even I'm shocked and pissed off by this one - and I don't even like these mugs. (Ok, after all this talk about them, maybe I'm beginning to like them a little). No offense meant to the seller, but come on! Think it through a little. When shippers move packages, they throw them into the truck or plane as fast as they can and whatever ends up on the bottom, so be it. I was buying old posters for a while, until every tube I was getting was crushed. Somethings just aren't safely shippable.

Really sorry to see this Bumboo. If you're interested, this place has tools, supplies and kits for repairing and restoring ceramics:
http://www.lakesidepottery.com/Pages/where-to-purchase-ceramic-restoration-supplies.html
These mugs have so much value, they might be worth the effort - and so much of this stuff comes chipped anymore, it's nice to have the skills to restore some pieces.

Konakaibaby, I think you're right but it's not just Vermont. It's never been easy to find this stuff. I know some areas seem more fertile than others. It's amazing though, things I've bought on Ebay, come from amazingly unlikely places around the country sometimes. But people travel and keep souvenirs, so you never know.

And to Tikiskip's comment about care taking things for the next tiki collectors. There's a quote or saying about collecting that essentially says - we never really own anything, we just take responsibility for it for a while to try, as best we can, to get it safely to the next generation.

View Profile of Jamoorea Send a personal message to Jamoorea      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-08 5:22 pm   Permalink

Wow...I don't even know what to say about those broken mugs.

First of all, I stand by everything I already said. Also, I'm not surprised even a little that they are broken. If you saw the odd messages I got from the seller, you'd understand. Definitely not banging on all cylinders there.

To me, this is a big and sad loss for us all. 2 less dtb mugs in the world now. Really sorry this happened.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Email nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-08 5:51 pm   Permalink

Man what a sad story...

But also another reason why it is bad to offer outside of ebay. It was easy for Bumboo to get his money back on these broken mugs, because they were purchased through ebay and they have buyer protection everyting, like Skip said buyers are what ebay wants (for some stupid reason). Last I checked, sales outside of ebay are usually not covered or protected, so the buyer would be out all of the money offered.

Sad to see the mugs shipped in this poor condition. I agree Ebay is usually at fault which makes it tough to feel bad about cheating them, but this is obviously a poor mistake on the sellers part.

I have a good dozen or so horror stories on how poorly ebay has treated me as a seller. Now I only sell broken junk, but people buy it so I sell it...

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2015-07-08 19:13 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation