FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » "The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
"The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 11:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Sven- you forgot to mention that those tapes you sent me "LA TIKI TOUR" & "AIR-CONDITIONED EDEN" had some priceless footage of Danny complete with a full video-tour of the shambled grounds.

Not sure which tape it was on, but it was really good...

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-20 07:45 am   Permalink

I took a little time to go through "The Book of Tiki"--and it's some book. It featured a lot more text than I had anticipated, and is solidly written, by the way. A very nice piece of work, and worth the sizable degree of craziness I went through trying to get hold of it.

The photos of "The Tikis" in Monterey Park, and the accompanying text, are very nice...and now, popping in to post my updates, I've just read that some film or video footage of this place exists? That's too interesting to be ignored, of course. Is there some way I can get a copy of this footage on VHS? Oh, that would be just amazing. I do appreciate anyone's help on this one...thanks again!

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-20 1:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-20 07:45, procinema29 wrote:
I've just read that some film or video footage of this place exists? That's too interesting to be ignored, of course. Is there some way I can get a copy of this footage on VHS? Oh, that would be just amazing. I do appreciate anyone's help on this one...thanks again!

It's an awesome piece on Polynesian Pop in America.

[ This Message was edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-20 17:58 ]

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-20 5:19 pm   Permalink

just give sven a jingle- (bigbrotiki) he can most likely hook u up with the video

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-26 04:07 am   Permalink

The correct Address is 1975 N. Portero Grande Drive. Monterey Park. CA

Directions (taken directly from the matchbook): Off the Pomona Freeway.... From L.A. Take the Garfield Exit | Take the Paramount Blvd. Off ramp North to Arroyo St. Left on Arroyo St. to Portrero Grande to the tikis. (It is shown on the north side of the street on the little map)
the map also indicates it is East of Wilcox and West of Rosemead Blvd. It also indicates that the offramp from the San Bernadino Freeway would be the the San Gabriel Blvd. exit South.

Here is the rest of the text:
• 12 Acres of Tropical Enchantment
• 50 feet of underground lava tubes
• 80 foot erupting volcano
• Waterfalls, lagoons, jungle trails
• 3 to 7 bands
• POLYNESIAN EXTRAVAGANZA featuring the finest of Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and New Zealand.
• Accommodates to 5000 persons, 18 acres of parking
• Complete year round banquet facilities
• Private facilities for birthday parties
• We specialize in holiday parties
• Sundays bring the kids
• 12 exciting rides, petting zoo
• Polynesian cultural center of the islands
• Train ride through ˝ mile of Polynesian settings and monster caves

Miss Cherry Capri has done a painting based on the historical matchbook which will be viewable (and for sale) at the M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs on the same night as "It's All About the Tiki" event on NOvember 29, 2003

Now does anyone have the approximate date/year when this place opened???

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovedisco

Posted: 2006-10-28 12:34 am   Permalink

Hi,

I do not have any pictures of the Tiki's just a lot of memories. I used to go there all the time with my girlfriend during the Disco days in 1976/77. It was a phenomenal place. The song " Disco inferno " takes me back there as if it were last Saturday night.

I don't even know how our group found out about it. We used to go to a place called " My uncles " in Van Nuys all the time and we just gravitated to the Tiki's.

I had a friend that lived on Potrero Grande and my ex wife lives close by now. A few years ago while picking up my son I drove by looking for the place but I could not locate it so I have no clue where it went or what it is now.

I would love to hear from anyone else that has memories of it when it was a Disco.

How I miss those days.

View Profile of Lovedisco Send a personal message to Lovedisco  Email Lovedisco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-29 3:14 pm   Permalink

Danny Balsz and The Tikis has always been one of the more fascinating stories in The Book of Tiki. I recently acquired these postcards showing a few scenes of the entertainment at The Tikis.

I also found this really big matchbook with some great stuff on it.

The giant flaming Tiki

The volcano show

On the back a listing of the fun things to do

And this great artist sketch map of the layout of the facility

Here is a mug and another matchbook from The Tikis that LOL Tiki recently posted on tiki finds.

What a great place this must have been.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenposurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-29 4:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-31 00:34, procinema29 wrote:
Name:"The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
Type:restaurant
Street:Potrero Grande
City:Monterey Park
State:CA
Zip:91755
Phone:

Description:
Hi Tiki Fans,

I need your help--your Tiki Help!

Here’s the situation in a nutshell: I’m writing numerous Tiki-enthusiasts on the web with a special request. You may perhaps know of a now-defunct Tiki Restaurant (created by Danny Balsz) known as “The Tikis,” which was located on Potrero Grande Blvd. in Monterey Park, California. It was closed sometime in the mid-70’s, and is, from what I understand, well documented in Sven Kirsten’s “The Book of Tiki.”

I grew up in Monterey Park in the 70’s, not far away from this place--in fact, the club was situated at the bottom of the hill I lived on. But you couldn’t see much of it from the top of the hill. I do have memories of hearing the drums from the restaurant pounding away into the night each weekend. Apparently, they had some hot and cookin' nights down there! I was too young to visit the place, and, honestly, at the time I was not interested in such things. Since then I’ve developed a great fondness for Tiki culture, and now have a nagging desire to know what this restaurant looked like, as I never got a good look at it. I’d love to see a picture or two of the place, if anyone has something like that!

Pictures of other Tiki clubs are readily accessible on the net, but not pictures of this one. Mr. Kirsten’s book is out of print and somewhat difficult to get hold of; I did actually write Mr. Kirsten, but unfortunately he was out of town on business, and unable to help. (A new printing of the book is forthcoming, but when that will be is unknown.)

If you have a photo lying around that you have scanned, or a scan of a magazine photo or something, would you do me a big favor and email it to me? I would be very, very appreciative. Anything at all, even something low-res, would be verily cool.

Thanking you for your time and attention...

Most sincerely,

Rodd Matsui
http://www.progressivecinema.com
darkcorner@hotmail.com

Good luck with this project Rodd. I spent my teenage and early 20's in Monterey Park..great waterfall and mid century modern houses up around De Lafuente (sp)..wonder if the stilt houses are still there?

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 on 2003-07-31 00:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 on 2003-07-31 00:41 ]

View Profile of kenposurf Send a personal message to kenposurf  Goto the website of kenposurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 12:00 pm   Permalink

Here is a close up of the older matchbook from The Tikis.

It's kind of interesting to see the evolution of the facility from the descriptions on the back of the two matchbooks. The older matchbook had 200 feet of underground lava tubes, a 60-foot volcano, a capacity of 2,000 people and 14 acres of parking. The newer one increased in size to 500 feet of underground lava tubes, an 80-foot volcano, and a capacity of 5,000 people with 18 acres of parking. Than Danny was a busy man!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-09 3:59 pm   Permalink

Old CBS ticket for a company party at The Tikis!

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 09:08 am   Permalink

A very cool brochure showing the action at The Tikis.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 2:50 pm   Permalink

I own this chunky resin lamp in the picture in the lower left corner above....

Here it is...

...a powerful "object" from "The Lost Tikis".

(The above being a play on one of my favorite T.V. Mini series, "The Lost Room")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room
Which cabal are you: The Collectors, the Legion, or the Order?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-09-13 01:11 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 4:28 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Nice lamp, did you pick that up during your expedition?

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-09-12 16:40 ]

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-12 5:52 pm   Permalink

I found a movie that has some scenes shot at the Tikis. I think it is from 1979, so probably filmed in 78. I will try to post some shots soon....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 10:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-12 16:28, Dustycajun wrote:
Bigbro,
Nice lamp, did you pick that up during your expedition?

Yes. I undertook a couple of Safaris out to the Lake Elsinore site, the November '94 being the most notable one, because that's when Danny was selling off stuff. Here are some pics, some of these will be in Kari's article on The Tikis in the next Tiki Magazine:

Tiki in the forest, March '93:

Ruins, Nov. '94:

Otto von St. and Sven K. examine a relic:

Skull mound:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation