FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » "The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
"The Tikis," Monterey Park, CA
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-05 11:11 am   Permalink

So that may make the one that's for sale on eBay now not an old one from the Kahiki start as I thought.
Thanks Sven.
Now if we only knew how it made it there?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-05 11:16 am   Permalink

HA! As you were typing, I was composing this :

>>>…and Skip, what do we think of this? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kahiki-restaurant-wood-sign-quiet-tiki-village-/191160065864?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c82071f48

"Quiet TIKI village"….!!? I don't know, that sounds awfully like a Tiki revival concept. I don't remember seeing it there
"...at the entrance to the Village Dining Room behind the front desk wall (as indicated on the label when it was taken down)…"

Where IS said label then? If this is indeed from the Kahiki, it must have been a very recent addition made just before closing, and has no vintage value on its own.<<<

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-05-05 11:18 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-05 2:22 pm   Permalink

Sven I have not yet asked my friend Soung that was one of the owners of the
Tropical Bistro, but I can remember him asking me to come and look at a sign like that
one he had just hung in his bar and telling me it was from the Kahiki.
I told him I "No way" he then told me he had made that sign.

LOTS of the items at the Tropical Bistro sale were not from the Kahiki, in fact only four
items were from the Kahiki as far as I could tell.
Four oars, That's it.
The rest of it Soung made.

Now there was a sale where a "cop" Soung said got everything from the Kahiki at the Bistro.
This guy came in before everybody and paid a lot to the owners before the Sheriff came.

That is my best guess on that one.

But then this eBay sale says it's from the first sale at the egg roll factory.

The sign you showed is COOL! Love the way they did the "Q" on it.
I'm going to cut up the tables I have and make twenty of them.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
clayfran

Posted: 16 days ago; 11:38 am   Permalink

I acquired a set of 4 postcards, 3 of which have been posted here. This fourth one hasn't.
Look at the size of that thing!

View Profile of clayfran Send a personal message to clayfran      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 11:34 am   Permalink

Clayfran,

Nice score on the postcard, have not seen that one before. Any chance you could do a scan and blow-up the pic of that impressive Tiki?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 1:59 pm   Permalink

Hi folks - I don't have a copy of it with me, but didn't I show this postcard image in the Book of Tiki in my "The Tikis" chapter?

It is the only one (other than the matchbook) that shows that giant, fire or freon spewing Tiki statue that I was lucky to see in situ at the defunct Lake Elsinore location. Here's my old friend Pete Moruzzi posing with it in 1994:

I think I also have a photo of Danny Balsz in the BOT that demonstrates the scale of this giant even better. I was very sad to hear that Danny toppled and broke the statue when he was evicted.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 5:50 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

You are correct, that postcard with the huge Tiki is shown on page 110 of the BOT. Here is the photo of Danny Balsz sitting in front of it.

The "Old Testament" still provides us with Tiki lore!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation