FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Nick's, Pismo Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trader Nick's, Pismo Beach, CA (restaurant)
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-07-31 08:49 am   Permalink

Name:Trader Nick's
Type:restaurant
Street:1601 Price Street
City:Pismo Beach
State:CA
Zip:93449
Phone:(805) 773-4711

Description:
Polynesian Restaurant and cocktail lounge next to the Kon Tiki Inn. Bought in 1999 by McClintock's and turned into \"Steamer's\" seafood restaurant. Sits on a bluff with great views of Pismo Beach.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-05 1:24 pm   Permalink

Here are some pictures from some matchbooks I have aquired ....

In the last pic there is one of those 2 tiki type bowls someone asked about recently and a Trader Nick's Grog Log drink menu.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-25 9:28 pm   Permalink

bongofury,

I enjoyed your pics on Trader Nick's. I went to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in the late Eighties and could have gone there anytime. But, unfortunately, Tiki was not a part of my life then and I never made it. I even moved back to the Central Coast a number of years ago and could have gone then; but no, alas, I was still lost and hopeless. Well, now that I have recently found Tiki, (or rediscovered Him from my childhood)I could just hit myself in the head with a coconut for not making it to Trader Nick's at least once! Oh well, like the financial area of my life, another missed opportunity!

TikiSteve

View Profile of TikiSteve Send a personal message to TikiSteve  Email TikiSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 12:05 am   Permalink

Incredible architecture, on the beach, with a tiki hut in front. What a gem!

Thanks for the photographs.

That would have been the true Central Coast attraction, Hearst Castle being secondary.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 12:40 pm   Permalink

Found this postcard today:

Closeup of the middle pic:

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AtomicQ

Posted: 2008-04-15 12:11 pm   Permalink

My parent's live in Grover Beach and they just took me to Steamer's for the first time about a month ago. I wish it was still a Trader Nicks's. Thanks for the pics!

View Profile of AtomicQ Send a personal message to AtomicQ  Goto the website of AtomicQ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 11:34 am   Permalink

Photo courtesy of Joel Fletcher

There are some cool photos in this guy's gallery.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 6:49 pm   Permalink

Unga Bunga

Great find on the old picture of Trader Nick's entrance and building exterior in all of its glory. I used to stop at Trader Nick's for Mai Tais and Pupu's on the way back home from skiing at Lake Nacimiento. Memories!

Here is a matchbook from Trader Nicks and the Kon Tiki Inn

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 7:43 pm   Permalink

I just came across this photo that I took several years ago.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 4:11 pm   Permalink

Oh, I see...Trader Nicks & the Kon Tiki Inn shared the same sign so they cut off the top of that sign for the postcard. I was wondering why the restaurant had a "jacuzzi pool." Actually, that would have been pretty cool as long as people didn't drop their food in the jacuzzi.

TX Tikiphile Gathering @ Trader Vic's on May 3rd!

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2008-04-23 16:14 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 4:51 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Kate, Thanks for the photo.

Here is another matchbook I have from Trader Nicks.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 5:11 pm   Permalink

I've got a couple of Trader Nick's matchbooks also.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-19 09:12 am   Permalink

Oh man! I used to hang out at Trader Nick's in the mid-80s... didn't think to save any matchbook covers tho... good times!

I haven't been to Pismo Beach in over a decade... anyone know what has taken Nick's place? damn shame its shut down...

ah ha! I read over the previous posts a little more closely and see its now called Steamers... correct? to be perfectly frank when i frequented the place in the early to mid 80s tiki was not on my mind necessarily... i'd just gotten divorced from my first wife and went there for the babes! LOL! but the atmosphere was perfect for that kind of that thing... you could sit at the bar listening to live music (definitely NOT exoctica or lounge then) and watch the Pacific rolling in whilst sipping your cocktail... ah the days of our dissipated youth eh?

[ This Message was edited by: Lokepa 2010-09-19 09:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Lokepa 2010-09-20 02:11 ]

View Profile of Lokepa Send a personal message to Lokepa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 5:28 pm   Permalink

A match box from Trader Nick's.

Those four A-frames on the roof of Trader Nick's remind me of the Mono Kai apartments in Isla Vista.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-01-08 07:05 ]

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-31 2:57 pm   Permalink

I forgot to post this from January 24, 2007.

John Nichols remembered as a Pismo visionary, longtime resident, died recently at 78 years old. He started several well known South County restaurants including The Outrigger in Shell Beach, Trader Nick's In Pismo Beach, and WM. Cody's in Grover Beach (which is still there). OK DC time to look for stuff from The Outrigger (no longer there).

All I have from Trader Nick's is 4 or 5 matchbooks, this long sleeve t-shirt (90s?), and some pilings from out front (now in our back yard)

Front

Back

Cheesecake Factory?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation