FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » My first tiki (statue/sculpture)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
My first tiki (statue/sculpture)
DutchTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-23 04:01 am   Permalink

One day I had nothing to do, so I was looking for a creative chore. I happened to have a block of marlstone, so I decided to carve something out of it. I had no plan, but previously I read (had seen) something on the Internet about tikis and with those images in my head, I just started chopping and cutting (“indiscriminately”). This is the final result.
does it look like something, or should I look for another hobby?

View Profile of DutchTiki Send a personal message to DutchTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 04:24 am   Permalink

Does he bite?
You have a sharp eye.
How bout a full body guy?

[ This Message was edited by: will carve 2015-06-24 04:24 ]

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DutchTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-23 05:58 am   Permalink

If he is really pissed off, he will absolutely bite!

A full body guy is planned, but first I need to purchase some more (and larger) marlstone blocks.
Right now, I'm also looking for a (carving) chainsaw, because in the near future, I also want to cut ("saw") wooden sculptures.

View Profile of DutchTiki Send a personal message to DutchTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 06:07 am   Permalink

I think you found the right hobby!

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 08:21 am   Permalink

Cool, clean carves Dutch!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 10:21 am   Permalink

I think i need to get some marlstone! Can you send me your carved blocks and save me the trouble?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DutchTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-23 1:19 pm   Permalink

Thank you all!!

Quote:

On 2015-06-23 10:21, TheBigT wrote:
Can you send me your carved blocks and save me the trouble?

Because of the weight you'd be scared for the transportation costs
This one (Moai) would be better (cheaper), is merely 3cm

Monkey Bizz

Posted: 2015-06-24 01:12 am   Permalink

Very Clean!! Tering Strak man! What tools did you use?

View Profile of Monkey Bizz Send a personal message to Monkey Bizz  Email Monkey Bizz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DutchTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-24 05:45 am   Permalink

Dankjewel! (Thanks!) Monkey!

I use an ordinary handsaw (wood saw & hacksaw, for bigger and smaller parts), some (old) chisels / gouges (all for woodworking, marl is pretty easy to process) , a rasp and a number of (little) files.

(some pictures of the process...)

(Moai)

(Tiki)

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-24 8:33 pm   Permalink

Very well done!
You have obviously carved things before, what did/do you carve before tikis?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DutchTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-25 01:07 am   Permalink

Thank you "4WD"!

To be honest these are my first 2 carving works, I never carved anything in my life before (maybe once or twice as a child in my school years during crafts classes)

By chance I got 2 beautiful marlstone blocks and because I do'm a "creative" person (Other hobbies: designing & model-/scale-/scratch-/maquette building), I thought I'd just gonne cut something out of those blocks (for in my “exotic” garden). I first made the Moai (more convenient form to practice), and then I made the tiki from the second block. (of course it cost me a few hours to make/cut them, but my motto is: If I want it, I can do it)

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-25 10:50 am   Permalink

Wow - if those are the first things you've ever carved, I foresee amazing things to follow!
Thanks for sharing the pictures; keep it up!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-26 05:32 am   Permalink

NICE!!!!!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DutchTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-28 09:22 am   Permalink

Thank you both! Nice to hear you like my work

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-28 2:27 pm   Permalink

I'm impressed! I had to look up marlstone, looks like it's a Netherlands thing - is it plentiful there? The background of the pictures looks much more tropical than I would expect that far north.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation