FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Hula's, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hula's, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 11:57 pm   Permalink

Name:Hula's
Type:restaurant
Street:622 Lighthouse Ave
City:Monterey
State:CA
Zip:93940
Phone:831.655.4852

Description:
Hula's offers a variety of dishes from Jamaica to Thailand to Hawaii. There are Kona fish soft tacos, ahi sashimi, roasted shoulder of pork (marinated in soy and pineapple), jerk chicken, sticky rice.
The tropical drinks are good, and lean towards the "main streamers", but not for the true tiki purist. They use Trader Vic’s mai tai mix, and so on (which is better than regular bars).
The new Tiki Room addition is way cool, and should be checked out!
A definite “tiki must stop” when down in Monterey, CA.
ALOHA

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-08-01 00:01 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 10:12 pm   Permalink

UPDATE:
They now have a full bar with a remade TIKI back room!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 07:40 am   Permalink

I went to Hulas when I was down for the SF crawl a few year's ago. I really liked it. At the time it was more Hawaiiana than tiki but it was still great.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 08:41 am   Permalink

Hey those are Bosko's masks!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-15 1:42 pm   Permalink

hey unga,
thanks for the recommendation again. the place is great, food was surprisingly good. the drinks were a little on the sweet side, but not lacking in alcohol content. everyone was nice, i definitely would go back again. they also have some pretty cool shirts and custom printed munktiki mugs.
if you are in the area check it out.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-15 1:53 pm   Permalink

Hi Tikitanked!
I wish I would have known you were there. I would have bought us a round.I live about 8 miles away.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Dam sorry I missed ya. Next time.
Unga

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 12:37 pm   Permalink

Hula's is great place! Those munktiki mugs are actually designed by Drew Brophy the surfboard artist. Our waiter told us there is going to be a series done by Drew exclusively for Hula's. I picked up the first mug back in Nov.
I keep calling to find out when the others are going to be available but I always catch them in the off hours. Hopefully find out more when I out there later this week.
When I hook up with Unga Bunga

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 2:13 pm   Permalink

hey chongolio,
if i am not mistaken the brophy mugs are manufactured by tikifarm, the munktiki mug was the no name tiki that you see on munktikis sight, but with a hulas decal.
either way, definitely a cool joint. thanks for the update on future mugs

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-22 3:41 pm   Permalink

Regarding Hula's drinks - when I was there the bartender was a woman, and she mixed my mai tai by hand, using the old TV's recipe. It was excelent. I had a scorpion also, which was one of the best I've had. I think some of their bartenders are willing to take the time to handcraft drinks, and it's worth asking about.

We get down to Monterey often for diving (point lobo, lover's point, breakwater, MONESTARY!) - I'll have to give a shout out to Monterey-area TC peeps next time we make the trip and we'll get together at Hula's for a drink or two. I'd love to see some of the local homebars as well...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 1:03 pm   Permalink

Hi TikiMaxton
I live 1 mile away from MONESTARY!
Please do stop by next time you are down.
Unga

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-28 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-19 14:13, tikitanked wrote:
hey chongolio,
if i am not mistaken the brophy mugs are manufactured by tikifarm.

Whoops, my mix up, it is even stamped tiki farm.
Doink,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 5:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-26 13:03, Unga Bunga wrote:
Hi TikiMaxton
I live 1 mile away from MONESTARY!
Please do stop by next time you are down.
Unga

Abso-damn-lutely! I recall a thread about Tiki Central divers; are you one of 'em? If so, you know the bruised-but-triumphant feeling of successfully completing a Monestary dive! "Crawl! Crawl! Crawl!"

We're hoping to get down there before the season's done, like maybe March or April. I'll let you know!

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 3:19 pm   Permalink

This past summer, I had one of the two best meals on my trip to California at Hula's (the other was the macadamia nut encristed mahi mahi at the Trader Vics in Emeryville -ooooooh).

Now sad to say, I can't remember which dish it was, and maybe it was the company (Patrick the Silver Fox and I were with Mr. and Mrs. Munktiki, Sr), but I do remember that we LOVED the food, aside from the great drinks and decor (and conversation)!

(some kinda noodle dish with fish and cilantro, maybe? DeLIcious whatever it was)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaloa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-07 2:49 pm   Permalink

Well I finally made it back to Hula's last weekend for the 2nd time. The first time I visited there was no bar and NO tiki room. It was nice, but not worth a second trip. However, seeing the pictures from Unga Bunga I had to try it again.

This time, more trips are definitely in the works and since I am down in Monterey it seems every weekend this time of year for scuba diving, it is now going to be watering hole at the end of the day. Beats the Bull Dog (British Pub) any day.

I must say the food was good, drinks are top-notch for a restaurant, people friendly - what else can I say.

I did leave the restaurant very satisfied and with a handful of mugs and swag.

View Profile of Kanaloa Send a personal message to Kanaloa  Email Kanaloa Goto the website of Kanaloa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 11:14 pm   Permalink

I got to visit last weekend. Good food, great drinks, great service(No exotica music, some Reggae). Highly recommended if you're in the area.

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation