FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hula's, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Hula's, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-14 10:37 am   Permalink

Unga,
On a Friday evening for example we will go through 30 liters of Mai Tai easily. It would back up the entire restaurant and the bartenders would not have a moment to take care of their bar customers if we made every Mai Tai from scratch. Ever see how hard the bar keep works at the Emeryville VIcs on a busy night? Too hard in my opinion, a recipe for burn out. What we do is make up a batch of the Mai Tai every day before we open, minus the Myers float. Saves huge time which helps the entire restaurant keep its flow. What you thought was pineapple juice coming from a storm pourer is actually the Mai Tai minus the float. Although its a short cut, it does keep each Mai Tai tasting exactly the same.
I am telling you this so next time your in and see it, you will know what you are getting is the Mai Tai as we do it. If you still want the bartender performance just ask her to make you one from scratch, which they will do, but I guarantee you its the same Mai Tai.

View Profile of Citibeach Send a personal message to Citibeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 7:59 pm   Permalink

I hadn't really heard about Hula's before, but I went up to monterey and happened to be staying right down the street from restaurant. Went there on a saturday night, and it was packed. Cool little bar setup, and the tiki room was an awesome touch, especially with the Bosko carvings and the Leeteg velvet. Any tikiphile would appreciate the place, and obviously the locals do too. I just ahd a burger, but it was great. My girlfriend had the Mahi mahi and enjoyed that also. We shared a scorpion bowl, which was mixed well and a good deal at $15 for a 30 oz drink. I would definitely go back again, and would recommend Hula's to anyone. And as a hint, try to sit in the tiki room (if you can). It's more classic-tiki per se than the rest of the grill side of the restaurant. Regardless, great place.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-21 11:17 pm   Permalink

Right up there on my list of favorite tiki bars/restaurants [and I live in Alameda]. This place is great. The decor, with the mix of tiki and Hawaiiana/surfing elements, is my idea of tropical bliss. The drinks we had were excellent. We only had a couple of appetizers, but they were good. I loved the johnnycake, and my wife thought the cocoshrimp rolls were excellent, although the sauce was a tad too sweet for her taste. Wish I could get down that way more often.

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation