[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Childhood superstitions
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Childhood superstitions
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 10:31 am   Permalink

On a rerun of "Scrubs" the other night, the nurse says her boyfriend thinks she won't sit on toilet seats because of germs, but she won't let him know it's really because she's afraid of toilet snakes.

I had to laugh because I won't sit on a toilet in the dark because of a toilet snake story I was told as a child.

Does anyone else find that they have silly behavior patterns today that stem from childhood superstitions?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 10:49 am   Permalink

When I was really young, my grandpa told me not to look at garden weeds too long, or it would burn my eyes out! so I should pull them up and toss them immediately!

To this day, when I'm out pulling weeds, I hardly give 'em a glance... just pull and get it all done as quick as possible!

My grandparent's yard never had weeds after a visit from the grandkids.... and I still have my eyes..... wait a minute..... HEY!!

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2003-08-02 10:50 ]

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 11:01 am   Permalink

I don't still believe this today, but when I was little, my brother and I were riding our tricycles down the street, and a guy in a convertible drove by and gave us the "OK" sign - thumb and forefinger make a circle and the other fingers stick up. I asked my brother what this sign meant, and he told me it meant that the guy was going to come back later and kill me.

I'm lucky I haven't needed therapy for that.

http://www.iusedtobelieve.com/

this is a great site about childhood beliefs...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 12:12 pm   Permalink

I had a friend who used to let their pet Python just roam around the house, it often would coil up in the toilet, I'm with you on the toilet snake story, better safe than sorry!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-08-02 6:15 pm   Permalink

when i was wee i couldn't stand having a chink in my curtins, the curtins would have to be open fully or completly closed, because if they were open a gap I knew that this man with a water-buffalo head would peer through the gap and look at me.
And before you all think hey thats some repressed peeping tom memory, my bedroom was on the second floor.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 11:34 pm   Permalink

I once left the tooth fairy a note that my price had increased from $1.00 to five due to my "high cost of living". She didn't buy it. The Evel Knievel Skull Canyon set had to wait.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 03:40 am   Permalink

I'm over all his now...

Creature: A "giant purple hippie". I was sure he looked in the small frosted window of the bathroom.

Creatures: Weird animation. The animated peoples on the PBS show "Vegetable Soup", or some of the charatcters encountered in "The Point". There was a lot of this spacey stuff around in the early 70's. I knew they could tell if I was freaked out by them and would be angered into revenge. So I'd watch the shows and pretend to enjoy the frightening cartoons.

General Weirdness: Poison being slipped into the tap water just before my glass was full. I'd tip the last bit of water out of the glass before drinking it.

I was aware that all evil space aliens and supernatural creatures hated music. Whenever alone in scary places I whistled, sang, or hummed.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 08:30 am   Permalink

My parents once had quite an experience with a toilet snake. Mom got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and saw a long snake with a pointy tongue coiled up behind the toilet.

She woke up Dad. He agreed that it was probably poisonous because it had a pointy tongue, and was probably getting ready to strike since its tongue was sticking out.

Dad tried to beat it to death with a baseball bat, but he couldn't get a good whack at it behind the toilet. Mom decided to go find their glasses so they could see where it went if it got away. After she put on her glasses she realized that it was just a leather belt someone dropped on the floor. and the pointy tongue was part of the buckle.

They went back to bed feeling rather senile.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 09:28 am   Permalink

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
That was a nose-milk shooter!

Good to know I'm not alone in my toilet snake fears.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 6:41 pm   Permalink

I had a friend who had just moved into a new apartment ... before she moved it the place had been painted top to bottom. After she had been living there about a week she decided to move the sofa. She gave it a shove and under it .. voila! ... was a huge boa constrictor. Apparently, the people who had lived here before had lost their snake several weeks back and then moved without telling anyone. No one had seen it the whole time the place was being painted ... even with every cupboard and closet open.

Where was he all that time? It can only be surmised ... the plumbing. He must have come up out of the toilet when she wasn't home or sleeping.

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 4:56 pm   Permalink

When I was little, my mom forbade me to go outside with bare feet. She said that worms would crawl in and start to grow in my feet! In actuality, she was right - I grew up in tropical Louisiana and worm eggs and larvae (or other nasties) could cross the skin barrier through cuts or lesions. But, to this day I am tres leery of walking around barefooted - even in my apartment. I must have a thousand pairs of slippers and socks!

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 5:34 pm   Permalink

I still don't like to take showers with the lights on. When I was a kid I thought it was way more monkey like to take showers in the dark because obviously the jungle didn't have electricity so real monkeys wouldnt be showering with light on. But for some reason I was o.k with all the other technology that made up our bathroom. Yes folks, I was that serious about being a monkey.
Weird but true facts about
Chongolio.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 6:06 pm   Permalink

You think guys can be bad in the bathroom...
I HATE women who don't sit on public toilet seats and don't have the decency to wipe the seat down after they splatter all over it. I don't care how drunk you are.
It's my #1 pet peeve and I am on a National Campaign to humiliate any woman who doesn't clean up after her mess! Here's my slogan:

"WIPE YOUR WEE AFTER YOU PEE!"

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Frenchy Polynesia
Deleted

Posted: 2003-08-04 6:27 pm   Permalink

We had the 'hold your breath while you drive past the graveyard' superstition in my family (don't want to inhale a freshly-buried spirit)... Which is why dad would always drive reeeeeeeeeal slow.

Another one that is emblazoned in my memory was me asking my mother what the hood ornament on the family car was... she responded by telling me that it was called a 'sight' and was used to line up the car with people she intended to hit...

Ahhhmemories...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 6:32 pm   Permalink

Although not really a superstition, when I would have dreams about monsters, I thought that by befriending them I could escape certain death and turn them on other people in the house.

Hey Boogieman, I am on your side... Its my brother you want. Not me.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation